Laserjet 4050n won't print - please help (2835 Views)
Occasional Visitor
BR753561
Message 1 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Laserjet 4050n won't print - please help

Hi all,

Here at the office we have 3 network printers set up, 2 Laserjet 4050's and a Savin Digital copier. Anyways, one day, the main 4050 we use had an error on it (79.4165), after about a day, it fixed itself. Then this happened again, with the same error maybe a week later (79.4165). So, I read a couple of things to try with that error. The first thing I tried was a hard resert (turn off, then turn on while holding "go"). The printer came back online and seemed to be functioning ok, until I tried to print anything on it. Now, whenever I print absolutely nothing happens. It seems as though there is no communication between the computer and printer. I have tried going through the menu's looking for something, but I can't figure it out. In my Printers and Fax menu, I tried deleting the 4050, and reinstalling it, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any idea what I should do next???? Thanks!

Jonathan
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
BR750049
Message 2 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4050n won't print - please help

Jonathan,

I think you have reset your jet-direct card ( network card) if it's in the printer.
When you put on the print while pressing the go key you give a cold reset to your printer and it also reset your jet-direct card.
Next time you cold reset your printer remove the jet direct card.
You can check your jet direct settings to print a configuration page from the control pannel.

Gr Henri
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BR753561
Message 3 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Hi again,

I tried to do a cold reset and take out the jetdirect card, but still no dice. Did you mean to take the card out, then cold reset with no card, then put it back in, or cold reset with no card, then cold reset again with the card in? I did get a little confused here. Anyways, it didn't work the way I tried it (Cold reset without the card, then adding the card back in). Thanks again for your help!

jonathan
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BR753561
Message 4 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Well, I figured out what was wrong, now I just need to fix it...

I compared the ip info from the 4050 that isn't working to the 4050 that is working, and realized that when the cold reset happened, and printer defaulted to the original ip settings. So, I have been trying to change them back to what they should be. The only way I have figured to do this so far, is through the printer control panel (on the printer) in the TCP/IP settings, but when I put all the correct info into this, it still doesn't work. (I printed a config info sheet, and it said everything was right, but under "CONFIG BY:" it says "CONFIGURATION ERROR". So, I'm sure there is a better way to change the ip info on the printer, but I'm just not sure how. If anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
Jon
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 5 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Jonathan,

I suggest use WJA to set the TCP/IP settings, here is the link to download:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj06958

If WJA does not detect the printer using "discovery", you may need to type the MAC of the JetDirect manually into WJA.

Please let us know what happens.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation