Laserjet 4050 - Not picking up paper (making squeaking noises) (638 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joshua Horowitz
Message 1 of 7 (638 Views)

Laserjet 4050 - Not picking up paper (making squeaking noises)

Hi there,

We have an HP Laserjet 4050 here in our office. Just recently, when it tries to pick up paper to print, it makes a distinct squeaking/rubbing noise, then the printer throws a 'Paper Jam error'.

When we open the tray, it seems that it tried to grab the paper (its outside the metal clasps) but it only moved 1/2" before stopping.

We checked the inside of the printer and there is no paper jammed, so i assume the issue is in fact with the paper not being properly picked up.

I came across this thread; http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1080658 which seems to have a similar issue, without the noises.

Now, I noticed that we can get the printer to print (without any errors) if we push the tray in and hold it in fairly strong while its printing.

The rollers and assembly, as mentioned in the above thread, seem to be fairly cheap, but i wasn't sure if this was the same issue or not, since ours can be temporarily fixed by pressing on the tray while printing.

Any ideas on how to get her up and running again?

Thanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 7 (638 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4050 - Not picking up paper (making squeaking noises)

Joshua,

Just as in the other thread the tray is not specific. If it is tray 2, then the separation and "D" rollers should be replaced. They are easily checked. If they are smooth, they will cause jams (13.1, 13.2).

One other note and what makes me suspect that this is the real problem is the fact that the paper move above the lip. If you watch from the back with a flashlight, you will see the "D" rollers rotate and start to push the paper forward. The paper will then move back slightly and cause the jam. This is caused by a faulty torque limiter. For more info see the attachment.

Dave
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joshua Horowitz
Message 3 of 7 (638 Views)

My apologies, it is in fact Tray 2 that is having the trouble.

I'll try and look from the back to see what is happening. I'll report back shortly.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joshua Horowitz
Message 4 of 7 (638 Views)

Well, i'll be darned. It was the torque limiter...

I saw the paper sliding back. Removed the torque limiter and it works great now.

I noticed the instructions call for removing half the filings from the torque limiter, then reinstalling it. What exact is the filing on the limiter and how to i remove half of them?

Thanks for the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 5 of 7 (638 Views)

Glad to hear the news. After removint the Torque limiter/clutch, put it on a piece of paper. Using your fingernail, pop out the biege cover and push the spindle in to expose the magnet. Pinch the metal fillings and save. Reassemble and try a paper path test until satisfied that there are no jams. If you get multifeeds, add some of the fillings back. If you still get jams, take more fillings out.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joshua Horowitz
Message 6 of 7 (638 Views)

Thanks a million! Worked perfectly and she's up and running again.

Any ideas where to save the filings?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 7 of 7 (638 Views)

As long as it's working OK there is no need to save them.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation