Laserjet 4000 unexpected paper size and other issues please help!! (2699 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 8 (2,699 Views)

Laserjet 4000 unexpected paper size and other issues please help!!

Hello!

When I try to print a document it first says "tray 1 load plain letter" although the manuel feed tray is closed. If I hit the green go button, it asks me to "use plain exex instead" I think the printer thinks exec size is in the tray 2 but its not. I have checked the setting on the tray and they are set to letter. If I hit go again then it prints from tray 2 although it gives a "41.3 unexpected paper size" error.
When I print a configuration page the print out indicates that tray 2 is set to "EXEC"
Any help?????
Outstanding Contributor
Message 2 of 8 (2,699 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4000 unexpected paper size and other issues please help!!

Very common issue. There is a switch block on the inside right side of the tray cavity with 3 chrome pieces which activate switches on a board behind them. These switches tell the printer what size paper is in the tray. When you move the tray back piece back and forth you will see little levers on the right side of the tray change position. Those levers press in on the swtiches. Usually one of the switches goes bad and the only way to correct is to replace that little pc board behind the metal bars. Real easy to change.
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 8 (2,699 Views)

How does that swich come out? Do you know where I can get one at what cost?
Honored Contributor
Message 4 of 8 (2,699 Views)

Joe

remove paper tray and from back of printer locate the black plastic with the metal spring plates. release the clips at the top and remove the plate

remove the 3 conectors to the paper size PCA unclip PCA and remove. fit new one in the revears order.

Mark
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 8 (2,699 Views)

I love message boards!!! Thanks for your help, both of you guys!!
I located the switch and board.

I removed them, cleaned them, made sure the metal contacts were pushing on the switch, reassembled and now the printer works fine!!!

Thanks again.
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 8 (2,699 Views)

DEAR DavidZuts
MANY MANY THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD INFORMATION
ITS REALY FIXED MY PRINTER I STILL ABOUT 4 DAYS WORKING TO FIX IT

RGDS
AZMY
Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 8 (2,655 Views)

Great solution, it really took me like 8 hours working on it before I found the solution on this forum.
check the photo for details:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/hp-laserjet-4000-41-3-unexpected-paper-size-help/td-p...
regards
Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 8 (1,710 Views)

Any solution  to the above subject error message, also, will not print more than one page(when it prints at all) error message  not enough memory's do you access the for software upgrade and how much memory installed?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.