Laserjet 4000 printing garbage over network (893 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1286752
Message 1 of 5 (893 Views)

Laserjet 4000 printing garbage over network

I have a laserjet 4000tn on our network, it's printing nothing but garbage, have already reset printer, reset jetdirect card, changed network cable, put in different network port, reset patch cable in network room, same thing, when i change the static ip address of the printer, however, it is fine. If i change the ip address of another printer on our network (so far only hp printers act like this) to that ip address, they all print garbage as well, we have laserjet 4200's which i have tested this on also. So... the problem somehow has to do with that particular ip address, and hp printers it seems. I have also checked all print queues on servers, reset printer drivers on the servers, if anything is printing, can't seem to find where it's coming from. Any help on how to fix this, or how to find out where this "garbage" print job is coming from would be very very appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jason
Valued Contributor
CA1280264
Message 2 of 5 (893 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4000 printing garbage over network

Occasional Visitor
CA1286752
Message 3 of 5 (893 Views)

update on this so far:
i have called hp tech support and when i told them the garbage it was printing contained smiley faces and four leaf clovers, they said it was a communication error with the server, and there is nothing i can do about this. somehow, i fail to accept "nothing i can do about it" as a solution or answer. Since this only happens when a particular ip address is set, no matter which hp printer i use, something is being received that hp is not recognizing and thus spitting out this garbage. Is there anyway i can find out where this is coming from and stop it, i have already updated the jet direct cards' firmware on both hp printers, 4000 and 4200 used. Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Jimmy Gilmore
Message 4 of 5 (893 Views)

Jason,
Try a google search on the ip in question and see if something weird comes up.
Jimmy
Occasional Visitor
CA1286752
Message 5 of 5 (893 Views)

nope, nothing weird on google search, anyone else have any thoughts? would sure appreciate. thanks.

Jason
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.