Laserjet 2200dtn Network Driver Windows 7 x64 (7481 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Tobias Blachetta
Message 1 of 14 (7,481 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet 2200dtn Network Driver Windows 7 x64

Hi!
When I try to install a Laserjet 2200dtn as a network printer on Windows 7 x64, windows doesnt find any drivers!
The host computer, where the Laserjet is installed, has windows xp prof. x86.
I tried the upd-5_0_1-pcl6_winxp-vista-x64 driverpack, but it doesnt work at all, cant install the printer.
Any solutions?
Sorry for bad english, i'm from germany ;D

greetz
Occasional Visitor
M J Reynolds
Message 2 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Re: Laserjet 2200dtn Network Driver Windows 7 x64

Hi Tobias -

Experiencing the identical problem here. Windows XP desktop printing to an HP Laserjet 2200 directly via USB. Printer is on the network and available.

Dell laptop running Windows 7 (64 bit) will print to 2200 when USB connected, but will not print over network saying that driver is unavailable. Have downloaded drivers onto laptop and desktop but with no success.

Don't think that we are the only users experiencing this issue - see http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1405897

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you - just shared frustration.

If there's anyone out there who can crack this I'd be grateful...

Thanks,

Mark
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Here is a trick that works most of the time. Just pretend the printer is connected to the win 7 computer and load it as a local printer connected to lpt1 with no auto detect or test page. When it is done loading go to the properties of the printer by right clicking on the icon and the scroll down to properties and left click. Now go to ports and change the port to the shared port on the xp computer. Example would be \\xpcomputer\lj2200. xpcomputer is the name of the computer that has the printer attached and lj2200 is the shared name given to the printer on that computer. Hope this helps.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 14 (7,480 Views)

It just dawned on me that sometimes windows 7 will not allow a shared port but will only allow an ip address. If that is the case it may not work, but there may be another way. Windows has a command which I hope is still in windows 7 called net use. If it is available then keep the port as lpt1 for the 2200 and then go to a command prompt and type the command net use lpt1: \\xpcomputer\lj2200 /persistent:yes and hit enter. Same substitutions as in the post above. This will redirect any output to lpt1 to go to the shared port on the xp computer.
Occasional Contributor
Tobias Blachetta
Message 5 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Thank you very very much ;D
The first trick with the \\xpcomputer\lj2200 port worked perfectly ;)
Occasional Visitor
nancy f
Message 6 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Thank you to David for the "local printer" solution. This also worked for me with a Win7 32bit system.
Occasional Visitor
Dwight Williams
Message 7 of 14 (7,480 Views)

..and a second thank you to David for his solution. I used the first method and it solved an annoying problem.

"NET USE" is still a valid command in Win 7; my basic Win 7 Starter 32 netbook has it, so all higher versions should have it too.
Occasional Visitor
Gary Lesperance
Message 8 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Does anyone know of a configuration utility for the 2200 that I can run from Windows 7? I can't get a configuration page to print from the 2200 so I don't know the IP address of the jetdirect card in the unit. I would like to run a simple config util and change the IP.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 9 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Not really. Sometimes the buttons at the top do not press the actual buttons on the printer's formatter. If you remove the right side cover the formatter is there and there are two small button switches that are activated at the same time to produce the config page. Press the back button first and then press the front button and then release both and the printer should print 2 pages the second being the network settings. If you do not get a second page, then the network card is not present or is defective. Only other option if you have a small network is to download a free program called netscan which can scan your network and provide you with a listing of all items on the network and just eliminate the computers which are shown as computer and what is left are other devices such as printers. Plug each address one at a time into your web browser and hopefully one of them will be the printer and you can then make changes from the web browser. You may also want to perform a cold reset on the printer so it finds an address in your frame. Just press the big button while powering on the printer until all the lights cycle and then release. Wait 2 minutes after the printer comes to ready to try and find the ip address as it will take that long to assign one.
Occasional Visitor
Admin Workgroup
Message 10 of 14 (7,480 Views)

Hi David,

I also cannot print from Win 7 64bit to an LJ 2200d attached to an PC running XP. But in my case, neither of your suggestions work.

1. I have tried the Local Port trick (cannot change to to a network port) and I have tried the "net use" command (command successful but test page fails).

2. Even when locally attached, I am stuck wih a Universal driver that has no option to use the duplex (2-sided) feature.

Is there no hope? Why can't HP produce a valid 64bit driver for a PCL LaserJet?
Occasional Visitor
Gary Lesperance
Message 11 of 14 (6,590 Views)

David,

I've had a couple of different experiences with Windows 7 and the hp2200. On one W7 machine, it saw the HP2200 and AUTOMATICALLY loaded the driver (I know that's hard to believe). On the other W7 machine, it would not even successfully connect with Microsoft.com to download any new drivers. On that one I had to "fool" it by loading a driver for another PCL5 HP laserjet that was already on the driver list for W7. I tried each one until one of them finally worked (sorry, I don't remember which one). I found out a couple weeks later that the W7 computer that couldn't find the printer had a corrupted W7 OS. That one needs to be restored to original factory. W7 is actually suppose to work like the first computer I mentioned.
Occasional Visitor
Deucey
Message 12 of 14 (6,557 Views)

[ Edited ]

I recently acquired a  new Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit loaded on it.   I have a network with a LaserJet 2200d attached to an XP box.   When I tried to add this printer to my laptop, Windows 7 told me it could not find any drivers for it.

I did some research on the web and added the printer as a local printer using the UNC of the computer/printer that it is attached to.   That seemed to work just fine until I tried to print.    Anything I send to that printer just seems to go off somewhere in cyber-space and never gets printed. 

I do not understand how Microsoft can release a product that has no drivers for many printers and other devices and I cannot understand how HP, in their greatness of knowledge and technology, did not prepare for this and work cooperatively with MS so these kind of problems would not happen.  

Does anyone have any idea where my printer is printing to?  

Occasional Visitor
Admin Workgroup
Message 13 of 14 (6,306 Views)

Problem resolved -- COMPLETELY -- !

I posted to this topic earlier this year about the same problem. Now the myster deepens, but finally, I am a happy camper...

1. With a Dell PC upgraded to 64-bit Win 7, I could not print to a Laserjet 2200, unless I connect directly and use a *VERY* limited version of the universal driver. (No duplex printing and missing other advanced features).

2. With a new Asus notebook I had the same problem with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and yet, get this!! ...

a) The problem disappeared when I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro  --AND ALSO--

b) After I experienced a disk crash, I had to re-install Windows from scratch.

I had no problems with the HP printer -- even with Win 7 Home Premium

(before uprading to Win 7 Pro).  For reasons that I do not understand, I could

now use ALL features of the printer. The driver is now listed as "HP LaserJet

2200", so I bet that this means there now exists a native 64 bit driver

supplied by Microsoft. That's my take on the issue.

Ellery (at) starbus (dot) com

Occasional Visitor
VijayMiskin
Message 14 of 14 (3,093 Views)

Sir, I  justupgraded Win 7 64 bit from XP. And I installed HP Laserjet 2200DTN Driver from HP Site. The printer is working fine. But the problem is the Text and Graphics are not solid Colour. It is come with 80% Black. I Changed Setting several times but I cant get the solution. Please help me.. 

Thank you

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.