Laserjet 2200DN Problem (415 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sam Chapman
Message 1 of 7 (415 Views)

Laserjet 2200DN Problem

Hi,

I have a very old Laserjet 2200 which is failing to pick up paper from Tray 2. The motors spin and it sounds like it is about to pick up and print but then it stops and displays a single flashing red LED (indicating a paper jam).

I can't find any paper jammed in the printer (including the fuser & duplex unit).

When I pull the tray out and use the manual feed, the printer works without any problems.

So far I've replaced the tray pickup roller and given the whole thing a good clean. Can anyone suggest anything else to try?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (415 Views)

Re: Laserjet 2200DN Problem

First we need to see if the roller is turning. To test remove the paper cassette and look in the cavity and you will see a black plastic flag hanging down. That is the paper out flag. With one hand lift the flag up and with the other press the big button on the printer for a self test and observe the pickup roller. Do you hear a click and does the roller turn. If the roller does not turn, do the same thing but do it with the manual tray lowered so you can watch the roller on the manual tray. If the roller on the manual tray turns while you hold that black flag up, then the flag in the manual feeder a little to the right of center in a cutout is stuck in the forward position and the printer thinks you have paper in the manaul feeder when you do not. It is spring loaded so when it moves forward when paper is loaded it should move back when paper is removed. If not moving back then it may be broken or the spring may have become dislodged. Now if the roller turns in tray 2, first you will want to check the paper tray itself to make sure it is lifting when inserted. To test remove the tray and press down on the paper stack and it should stay down. Now press the two white clips one on each side down and the paper tray should flip up. If it does not then that could be your issue. Lastly with the tray inserted, lift the printer up slightly holding your hand below the tray so it sort of lifts the tray up. If it now prints then the rails the tray slides on have become worn and you have to find some way to have the tray sit higher in the cavity. Good Luck.
Occasional Visitor
Sam Chapman
Message 3 of 7 (415 Views)

Thanks very much for your response.

The roller is turning, and lifting the tray up didn't seem to help either.

Interestingly, if the tray is packed full of paper it prints without any bother. If I take half the paper out, it can't pick anything up. I've tried using a tray from a different (working) 2200 printer but this didn't fix the problem.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 4 of 7 (415 Views)

interesting,a guy just brought a 2420 in that has the same problem.if there is not enough paper in the tray,it won't pick up.i have'nt had a chance to look at it yet though.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 7 (415 Views)

Almost sounds like the tray is not lifting enough. Those two white clips one on each side are pressed down when the tray is inserted to raise the tray which is spring loaded. Since you tried another tray it will not be the tray itself. Tell you what, remove all the paper from the tray and pull the backstop back to pretend you are loading with legal paper. Now press the metal tray down to lock it down and then insert the tray. It should making a decent sound as the metal tray flips up. If it does not it means whatever is releasing the two while clips is not working so just study how they are activated. Keep in mind there is something on each side as both the clips have to be release in order for the tray to raise on both sides. Also with the tray set for legal you should be able to shine a flashlight from the rear towards the front to see exactly how the tray is situated towards the front where the pickup roller is located. Razmat on yours I have seen where the paper level device on the left side of the tray comes out of the tray bottom so instead of the metal lift piece being in the middle of that level plastic piece it is at the bottom and that piece prevents the tray from raising high enough.
Occasional Visitor
Sam Chapman
Message 6 of 7 (415 Views)

Thanks again for your help, the tray springs etc all look good and I can't see anything worn/broken on the inside of the printer itself.

I think we're going to throw the towel in on this one and get the printer replaced, its had a good innings :)
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 7 (415 Views)

Just one suggestion. If going to replace you may want to strip it down for 3 parts which are in demand and sell them on ebay. They are the formatter, fuser and laser/scanner. You can download the service manual at the link below which will show you how to remove those parts and it is not hard.

http://www.feedroller.com/Store/hp_manuals.php

Who knows after getting the manual you may decide to take another crack at it.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.