Laserjet 1320 tray selection (401 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tony Thornton_1
Message 1 of 4 (401 Views)

Laserjet 1320 tray selection

We've purchased a laserjet 1320N for use in our office with an additional 250 page paper tray

The main tray (top) is full of paper but the bottom is thicker quality for certificates

When the people in the office print on the card they go into properties and select tray 3 - unfortunatly it then remembers that as the default selection, and next time they print unless they remember to go back into properties and reselect tray 2 - all their emails and stuff come out on high quality paper

Anyway around this - I was hoping there would be a default setting and you could select the tray for just one print job - but sadly cant work out how to do this :(
Advisor
CA804379
Message 2 of 4 (401 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1320 tray selection

Hi, I cant see an easy answer to this one. My suggestion is to use the quick set function - properties of the printer - general- preferences - paper quality, then type a name for the quick set in the box and make the required tray selections and click save. This may reduce the number of time users print on the quality paper in error.

Its normally the application holding on to the printer settings as opposed to the driver, you might depeneding on how critical it is be able to create a vb button the prints the job with the trays targeted correctly inside word, as another option.

hope that helps in some small way.
if it sounds bad, it normally is
Occasional Visitor
Tony Thornton_1
Message 3 of 4 (401 Views)

Thanks for your reply

I've been trying a few options and easiest seems to be to install the printer twice
Call one "laserjet-paper" and one "laserjet-card"

Then set each up to print to the right tray as the application seems to remember the settings for the printers not per-application

That way they can select card by just clicking the other printer and the next time they print it will have defaulted back to the paper printer

Bit long winded but seems to work
Occasional Visitor
CA1265036
Message 4 of 4 (401 Views)

I have the same problem. We load pre-printed paper in tray 2. We have a powerbuilder application that needs to print to that tray out of 1 screen. We have a command built into powerbuilder that indicates which tray to use when printing from that screen. Works fine with LJ 2100 & 4100 printers. Does not work however with 1320tn printer. Does anyone know a new command that will work? Setting up a 2nd printer works but the user has to choose the different printer and then remember to set it back when done because the application doesn't go back to the default printer until you close out of it.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.