Laserjet 1320 prints blank pages - not a hardware issue (1110 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chris Clecak
Message 1 of 7 (1,110 Views)

Laserjet 1320 prints blank pages - not a hardware issue

This is wierd.

We have a 1320 that prints fine with pcl5 drivers but prints blank pages when using the Postscript or PCL 6 drivers that were downloaded 1/17/2008. This is the case no matter if I use Word 2007 or Windows test print.

The printer also prints the self test no problem. based upon this behavior I know it's not the shutter or toner issue as described for some of the remedies.

I have tried older versions of the drivers with the same result.

Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 7 (1,110 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1320 prints blank pages - not a hardware issue

Chris,

Yes it is weird (that it would print fine with PCL5 but not at all with PCL6 nor PS).

Went through the support pages for the 1320 and didn't find anything helpful, but here's the main support site anyway for your future reference:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesI...〈=en&cc=us

Just grasping at straws here, but if you have the printer plugged in to a surge protector or UPS, try plugging it directly in to a wall outlet instead, and see what affect that has on the problem:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl07351

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Chris Clecak
Message 3 of 7 (1,110 Views)

I tried the power cord suggestion and it did not work as well. At this point I have given up and figure the printer must have some internal issue.

Another 1320 works fine on the same computer
Regular Advisor
Nir Alt
Message 4 of 7 (1,110 Views)

Did u perform a cold reset? Hold the Go button while turning on, and hold it for about 15 seconds. Then try printing from the PCL6 driver again.
Regular Advisor
Nir Alt
Message 5 of 7 (1,110 Views)

BTW- any odd new errors in the event log in the config page?
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 6 of 7 (1,110 Views)

I was going to make the same suggestion as Nir.

Print a configuration page before you do it so you'll have a record of the current settings.

A cold reset restores everything to factory defaults.

Pat
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 7 of 7 (1,110 Views)

Nir - Apologies, but I'm going to post the instructions again so Chris will know what to expect.

From the service manual:

"A cold reset changes most system parameters in NVRAM to the factory defaults. However, unlike NVRAM initialization, a cold reset does not reset the page count, the paper tray sizes, language, or formatter number.

NOTE A cold reset also resets all the HP Jetdirect settings as well as the printer settings.

To perform a cold reset
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Press and hold down the GO button.
3. Turn the printer on, and continue to hold the GO button for at least 5 seconds, but not longer than 15 seconds. During this process, the Attention LED turns on.
4. Release the GO button.

NOTE If both the Attention and the Ready LEDs turn on before you release the GO button, you must start the procedure again with step 1.

The printer's LEDs begin cycling. The cold-reset process runs until completion, and the printer returns to the ready state."

Pat
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.