Laserjet 1320 only prints blank pages (7233 Views)
Occasional Visitor
swalsh76
Message 1 of 16 (7,233 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet 1320 only prints blank pages

I have a relatively new LJ1320 where the print was fading. Replaced toner cart, but then the printer would print nothing (even on the internal test page accessed from the control panel buttons). Put old toner cart in, but same result. What could cause this?
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1320 only prints blank pages

Unplug the power and remove the toner cartridge, first look at the cartridge there should be some contacts make sure that they look OK then look down inside the printer and inspect the contacts there if my memory is right the contacts are on the rihgt hand side. It is possible that they are bent/broken.
Trusted Contributor
Adam F.
Message 3 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Also could be a good old-fashioned power problem. Might be a good idea to look into replacing the power cable and changing where you plug it in.

But yes, check those power contacts that were suggested. If those aren't... you might be looking at repairs or replacement.
Honored Contributor
Mcprinter
Message 4 of 16 (7,176 Views)

A common fault on these and the 1160 is the tab on the toner door that actuates the laser shutter breaks off.

On the front door around 3 inches from the right (I think), there should be a thin piece of plastic 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch.

This should go into a corresponding slot on the printer.

If this is the case, fold up a piece of paper and push it into the slot.
Occasional Visitor
swalsh76
Message 5 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Thanks, I'll give it a look when I get a minute and report back.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 6 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Adam mentioned changing where you plug the power cord in.

If it's presently plugged in to a surge protector or UPS, plug it directly in to a wall outlet instead.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Kristian Kirkegaard
Message 7 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Did you look into it? Because i have one with the excact same problem.
Best regards.
Occasional Visitor
swalsh76
Message 8 of 16 (7,176 Views)

I'm actually on vacation :D I'll check in next week and see if my colleagues had any success.
Occasional Visitor
swalsh76
Message 9 of 16 (7,176 Views)

Assigning points to McPrinter, as this was exactly the problem.

Man, HP doesn't make'em like they used to, I guess.
Occasional Visitor
Ron Kloiber
Message 10 of 16 (7,176 Views)

I had the same problem, and checked the laser shutter tab and sure enough, it was gone. Stuffed a piece of paper in, and it prints now. Thanks..
Occasional Visitor
John Garfield
Message 11 of 16 (7,065 Views)

The assembly in question (Shutter Link Assembly) consists of three pieces. The first is a plastic tongue that is pushed by the tab on the door when closed. The second is a plastic lever that when pushed by the tongue triggers the actuator to tell the laser it is OK to power up. And lastly, is a precariously placed spring whose job it is to put pressure on the lever to return to its starting position.

Scenario 1- If the tab is missing on the door then go ahead and stick a piece of paper in to push the tongue.

Scenario 2- If the tab is in place but there is no white plastic tongue then remove the side skins (no screws), then loosen the back (4 screws) but do not remove. Then remove the top (3 black screws and one large head silver screw). Hopefully, you are able to locate the three pieces described above and relocate them in their rightful spot (see photo). First the tongue, then the lever with the spring seated on the right arm of the lever. The biggest trick is to reseat the spring with tension.

Hope this helps. It can be done with a little (lot of) patience.
Occasional Visitor
Mwendwa Kivuva
Message 12 of 16 (7,065 Views)

I have the same problem with my 1320. I hope the solutions in this forum solves the problem

transworldafrica.com
Occasional Visitor
hector santana
Message 13 of 16 (7,065 Views)

That was exactly the fix on mine. Open the door and could see the missing. Put a screw for now :) poor man fix
Occasional Visitor
Paul auciella
Message 14 of 16 (7,065 Views)

Thanks for the info i was trying to fix my 1320 and when i got the blanks i through it aside for later i read this thread and thanks my shutter was missing.
Occasional Contributor
spud17
Message 15 of 16 (7,065 Views)

Big thanks to Mc Printer, I 'rescued' a 1320 from a skip (dumpster?) when it was thrown out when the site offices were dismantled, once the construction site was completed.

The door had flown open and broken the tab when it was thrown in.

I was about to give up when I found this thread.

Now working as it should!

Will give it to the youngsters for their homework, hopefully it will be cheaper than a normal inkjet.
Occasional Visitor
Albert Warner
Message 16 of 16 (7,065 Views)

Thanks to all who contributed - I opened up ours and there was the parts. The picture REALLY helped us to figure out how it goes together, but the spring on the picture is in the wrong spot we think. Anyway, it was a lot of help and one less dead printer.

Thanks!

Al
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.