Laserjet 1200 paper won't feed - tries 3 times (4200 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 9 (4,200 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet 1200 paper won't feed - tries 3 times

[ Edited ]

Hi

I've had a Laserjet 1200 for 3 years. Today, the printer is failing, but it worked up till today fine! I've tried printing from a document, as well as trying the self-test mode (which normally prints out a page with all the info on it), and both fail.

What is happenning? The paper trys to feed 3 times, then the yellow light comes on and flashes. The paper won't feed into the printer! The green light is on before this happens, so I know the printer knows the paper is there, and the toner cartridge is there. I've tried putting a small amount of paper in the paper tray, as well as a medium amount, and it still fails. I even took out the pickup roller, but it appears clean and not in need of cleaning (and it feels rubbery and sticky, like it should).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure if it's something I can fix or not. I look at the pickup roller as it tries to grab the paper, but I have an untrained eye, so I'm not sure if there is something else I should see happenning. I do see the paper lift up from below (so that the roller can grab it), but it never grabs it and pulls it in. It almost looks like the roller is touching the paper, but I can't be sure if that's the problem, or some other mechanical things might be going on.

Steve

Esteemed Contributor
Message 2 of 9 (4,200 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1200 paper won't feed - tries 3 times

Hi Steve,

There are two black Mylar light shields approximately 3.5 inches long, in the pickup assembly area of the product. They are located on both sides of the pickup roller under the pickup roller rod. One or both of theses black Mylar shields can be tucked under, or partially bent when removing a paper jam from the paper input tray slot.

A Recommend Solution
Reposition the black Mylar light shields back into the proper position.

1.)Unplug the power cord from the product.
2.)Remove the paper and paper input tray.
3.) Slide hands, palms side up, into the paper input tray cavity until the fingertips reach the end of the cavity.
4.)Bend fingers up to push the black Mylar light shields back into place. The proper position of the black Mylar light shield will be flat.
5.)Reconnect the power cord.
6.)Print a self-test/configuration page to verify product is functioning correctly

Regards,
Nkassas
There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 9 (4,200 Views)

Steve,
Here's a link with a picture of the mylar Nkassas mentioned.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=2...
Maybe it will help,
Jimmy
Esteemed Contributor
Message 4 of 9 (4,200 Views)

Jimmy Gilmore Give a good referance picture for details action to resolved your problem.
Thanks Jimmy.
Cheers,
Nkassas
There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 9 (4,200 Views)

Thanks Nkassas and Jimmy!

You were right on the money!! I found out that my ex-girlfriend, who was visiting, pulled out a paperjam she caused, but never told me when I was trying to figure out the problem. She said it printed fine when I asked her initially, and that there were no problems with the printer.

Well, those 2 mylar plastic pieces were indeed bent forward and preventing the sheets from feeding into the printer. Thanks for the info... you saved me a major headache and money! I gave you both 10's for points.

After the problem was fixed, my ex-girlfriend said she then remembered a paper jam she had removed, but she said it was a few days ago, and it had printed fine after that. Well, there's no way that's true, but I have learned not to tell her she's wrong and that she must have forgotten when the jam occured. All in all, it's fixed. Thanks for the info!!!

Steve
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 9 (4,165 Views)

This fixed the issue I had with the paper not loading and saved me buying a new printer.

Many thanks!

Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 9 (3,161 Views)

That was simple. Done.  Many Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 9 (2,133 Views)

I have a HP laserjet 1200 series that has provided great service, but I found a piece of he mylar shield as part of removing a paper jam. Can that be replace and is it worth replacing? If not what do I do with the almost new 15A cartridge that I just installed. And lastly, what is the recommended economical HP mono laser replacement?

Outstanding Contributor
Message 9 of 9 (2,115 Views)

Never seen those shields tear or pieces break off.  Odds are what you have is a piece of the teflon sleeve of the fuser.  Is the printer jaming and if so where.  If it still prints do you have print defects like toner smearing.  If so it is probably the teflon sleeve.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.