Laserjet 1012-how do I clean the rollers? (385 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Carole G
Message 1 of 6 (385 Views)

Laserjet 1012-how do I clean the rollers?

The rollers that feed paper/checks are putting black smudges on my checks along the sides. How do I get to them to clean them?
Do I need to use special things to clean them?
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 6 (385 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1012-how do I clean the rollers?

which rollers?you can really only clean the main pickup roller.other possibilities for this kind of issue could be the cartridge or fuser,or possibly a transfer roller.did you try a differenent cartridge?the main pickup roller is in the center,so i don't see it putting marks on the sides.if something like the cartridge or fuser is causing it,then usually either would have to be replaced.as even if they were cleaned,and they have an issue ,then it would happen again.i have not seen your issue ,but smudges are usually tied in with a cartridge or fuser.though not always.i'll post a couple of attachments to show you how to get the various items out.fuser is a bit involved,as you have to take off the left and right covers ,cartridge door and rear cover.

the first attachment is to get out the main pickup roller thats down under the cartridge.transfer roller is down there also.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 3 of 6 (385 Views)

here's an attachment to get the side and rear covers off.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 4 of 6 (385 Views)

here's an attachment for getting out the fuser.take out the cartridge and look at it's drum.is there any toner on the edges?if you rock it back and forth a bit or turn it to it's side,does it leak any toner?fuser rollers are not generally cleaned as they can have grease or other coatings,but if you do i would'nt use more than a lint free cloth dampened with pure water.same thing with the main pickup roller.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 5 of 6 (385 Views)

try to clean out the whole paper path(as much as you can get to),with a dry lint free cloth.
Occasional Visitor
daniel aman
Message 6 of 6 (385 Views)

What about cleaning the transfer roller? I believe it is the culprit in my case.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.