Laserjet 1005 drivers for Win7 direct and as a network printer (1314 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Freek
Message 1 of 3 (1,314 Views)

Laserjet 1005 drivers for Win7 direct and as a network printer

Why does HP not release new drivers to connect the older HP Laserjet 1005 printers?

I know it is not one of the latest printers that HP produced but it is not right to force people to buy a new printer because they cannot get it working under Win7-64bit.

I have bought a new HP laptop but did not expect it not to work with my HP 1005 printer.

I have the 1005 in my office and a 1100 at home. The 1100 is working fine but the 1005 I cannot use at work.

The 1005 is connected to a PC running XP and I want to use the 1005 as a network printer.

I like Win7 but there are still many software programmes that don't work under Win7. Many Copanies use it as an excuse to buy new software/hardware. Something should be done against this. I don't understand why Microsoft releases new OS software knowing there will be some many problems with software/hardware that are a little older. If your hardware has not broken down Microsoft will make sure you have to buy new ones! 

Esteemed Contributor
Pier3v
Message 2 of 3 (1,300 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1005 drivers for Win7 direct and as a network printer

Read and follow the instructions on this document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02538616&lang=en&cc=us&prodS...

Also did you check if Windows 7 have a built in driver for your printer?

Click the star if this was helpful.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 3 (1,299 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1005 drivers for Win7 direct and as a network printer

The reason is because this was a very inexpensive printer released about 9 years ago and because of price the printer did not have a processor and used what is called host based printing, where the job was rendered at the computer and a stream send to the printer producing the output.  This software is very complicated and with the major change in Vista and Windows 7 hp made the decision not to support it with the cost invloved with writing new host based software to make the printer work under these new operating systems.  Many older printers have pcl and postscript which makes writing drivers for them very easy.  Host based is different and hp did not want to spend the money to develop a driver for such an old printer.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.