LaserJet P3015 Manual Feed (14693 Views)
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 1 of 20 (14,693 Views)

LaserJet P3015 Manual Feed

My company recently purchased one of these printers, and I have set Tray 1 to Envelope #10, Plain.  Prompt if empty is enabled. 

My problem is when I print a document that contains envelopes, tray 1 is prompting me to put Envelope #10, Plain in to Tray 1, even though there are Plain #10 Envelopes in the tray.  I cannot get the machine to not prompt me for this.  Even though I have set the Manual Feed prompt to unless loaded.

Please advise!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 20 (14,674 Views)

Re: LaserJet P3015 Manual Feed

is all packing material out of the machine?will tray 1 see any paper at all?if not it could be an issue with the tray 1 paper present sensor flag.maybe stuck out of position.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 3 of 20 (14,669 Views)

Yes all of the packing material is out of the machine.  It will print from Tray 1, however it prompts for paper to be in it - once you say OK it prints the envelopes. 

I just need it to start printing the envelopes as long as they are in the tray.  Like I said, I have gone into the settings and changed the Manual Feed Prompt from "every time" to "unless Loaded".  I am using Plain #10 Envelopes, (which is what it is prompting me for).  So it shouldn't be prompting me, correct?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 4 of 20 (14,667 Views)

generally.make sure manual feed is not turned on.tray size and type settings should match on the printer paper handling menu ,the driver paper or paper quality tab and what is being called for at the application.you could try removing the envelopes ,pull out tray 2 and push it back in and open and close the toner door to let the machine briefly re-initialize then see if it will pull from tray 1.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 5 of 20 (14,659 Views)

Maybe I am not being clear - :(

The printer will pull from Tray 1.  But not without prompting for the envelopes to be place in Tray one even though there are already envelopes in tray one. 

I want it to pull the envelopes from Tray one without having to walk to the printer everytime to press ok.

Does that make sense?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Anthony Notti
Message 6 of 20 (14,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

What exactly does the LED display on the printer ask when you print the envelopes? Does it say "Please load #10 envelope." or does it say "Would you like to use #10 envelopes insteead?" or is there some other message that it gives?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 7 of 20 (14,654 Views)

It says "Load Tray 1, Plain Env #10" To continue press "OK" for help press ?

There are envelopes (Plain #10) in the tray so by the settings that are enabled it should just print without prompting for envelopes.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Anthony Notti
Message 8 of 20 (14,644 Views)

I think that means that the printer thinks that there is something else that should be in there. I think what you are going to need to do is check the paper feed type for tray 1 and see what it indiactes it is defaulting to. If it is not set to Envelope #10 then that is the problem. Just cycle through the different choices that are available until you find the right one and remember to hit the select button on the printer.

Sometimes I have seen that what will happen is a printer will forget what we set it too and what needs to be done is the tray will need to be unloaded then the paper (envelopes) added back in. At this point it should ask what type of printing stock was inserted and then setting it there. Let me know if that fixes the issue or if there is something wrong still.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 9 of 20 (14,642 Views)

It is set to Size: Envelope 10 Type: Plain 

If I take the envelopes out and put them back in it prints the envelopes for that document.  But the next time I try to print the same document with Envelopes, or just the envelopes it will prompt me again for #10 Plain Envelopes in tray one even though they are there, and the setting for manual feed prompt is correct.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Anthony Notti
Message 10 of 20 (14,629 Views)

Sadly I am not sure what else could be wrong with the printer. From what you are desribing It sounds to me like everything with the printer is setup correctly. I am not sure I can be of more assistance with this right now. If I come up with something else I will post. Hopefully one of the more knowlegable people can help you with this.

Sorry I could not be of more help with this.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 11 of 20 (14,059 Views)

Anthony -

Not a problem at all - I am pretty proficient in HP Printers, so I am not sure what is going on with it, but I can tell you it is frustrating!

Thanks for your thoughts...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 12 of 20 (14,054 Views)

if you open the menu's and go to information menu,or what might be reports menu and print a configuration page it should show what size and type the machine is seeing in tray 1 on that page.is it showing that size and type?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 13 of 20 (14,046 Views)

Yes the Size is Envelope #10 and the Type is Plain.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 14 of 20 (14,039 Views)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the printer at all. I think the software that is sending the envelope print job is triggering the persistant prompt.

Even though you set the tray to a matching paper type, even though the printer is set to Tray 1 prompt only if not loaded, and your software is pointing at Tray 1 ... If the program is pointing at MANUAL tray/feed, it can demand the printer prompt for your OK. If you instead tell the software to use "Tray 1" instead of "Manual Tray" ... I'd not be surprised if that is when it will work without the annoying prompt.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 15 of 20 (14,027 Views)

I completely agree that is the case.  However, It is not that simple.   :(

It is a Word Document with 2 envelopes.  The document needs to print on plain paper out of tray three, the envelopes need to pull from tray one.  If you point it at tray one it prints the document on an envelope as well.

The thing that has me stumped is that we have several LJ 4100 and LJ4000/4050's that have no issues printing this document and not prompting for envelopes. 

So the document is printing "correctly" but the having to hit OK after they print 20-50 of these documents a day is going to be completely unacceptable.  So I am at a loss as to how to go forward. I did try upgrading the firmware so it is now at 07.050.8.  And I have restored the device to factory defaults and tried to start over. 

The print driver on the server has been configured for Tray 1 to be envelope plain as well.  So by all rights it should just print without prompting. 

On a side note, I am now getting a prompt that says "load output stack" instead of Envelope #10 Plain.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm.... 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 16 of 20 (14,001 Views)

That is actually how I would expect it to behave (when using Word) because Word tends to lump ALL of the pages of a document as the same paper type, instead of allowing different paper types (like a type envelope along with a type letter) in the same document.

If you can manage to get Word to have a single document with something like page 1 = Envelope, and page 2 = plain Letter ... then you will probably get things to work like you wish.

I use Word all the time, but I couldn't tell you how to get Word to do that. For me it insists on changing the paper size for ALL pages. Maybe someone with more Word skills than me could clue us in.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tlfrisbie
Message 17 of 20 (13,987 Views)

I actually do have this document to print the document itself out of Tray 4 and the envelopes out of tray 1 - still no luck....

I even created a new from scratch document, thinking it was our templates, and no luck....  I just really do not understand why our older HP's do not give us grief about this....

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BetterWayProd
Message 18 of 20 (13,901 Views)

I am attempting to print to Tray 2 for my P3015 - I have defaulted all settings to Tray 2 but when the printer receives the print job it goes to Tray 1 - saying to fill the tray or switch to Tray 2 - I then have to press the 'ok' and then accept printing to Tray 2 and press 'ok' again...? PLEASE HELP! This is VERY annoying!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
negatiiv
Message 19 of 20 (11,859 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm also having the same issue with my P3015X. The user tries to print an envelope from Tray 1 (it is always loaded with envelopes) but the control panel shows the message the OP posted, to load Envelope #10 in Tray 1 and then press OK.
Tray 1 is set to Envelope #10 + Plain
Tray 2 is set to Letter + Letterhead
Tray 3 is set to Letter + Plain
Configure Device\System Setup\Tray Behavior\Manually Feed Prompt = Unless Loaded
Configure Device\System Setup\Tray Behavior\Size-Type Prompt = Do Not Display

The user is printing from Access 97 and it was working when her printer was a LaserJet P3005X. I replaced the printer with a P3015X.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
negatiiv
Message 20 of 20 (11,840 Views)

After opening control panel -> printers, right-clicking the printer and choosing Printing Preferences, I was able to change the Envelopes printing shortcut so that the paper source was "Tray 1" rather than "Manual Feed in Tray 1" or "Automatically select". It started working after that, no more prompts on the printer.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation