LaserJet 9000 - "Printer Error 58.4" (521 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1158324
Message 1 of 10 (521 Views)

LaserJet 9000 - "Printer Error 58.4"

Subject printer was "dead" on a Monday morning when the office was opened. The previous Friday it was operating fine. When I took the call, the LVPS was bad. There was no voltage at the output cable that connects to the DC Controller. I sent the LVPS out for repair. When it came back, the voltage at the output cable was fine. After installing the LVPS & powering up the printer; the display came up with "Printer Error 58.4."

Following the recommended action in the service manual, I cycled power & got the same result. I checked Printer Config, & saw nothing unusual there. Put a new print cartridge in the printer & got the same error. Replaced the Toner Sensor Contact Assembly & the DC Controller and I still have the, "Printer Error 58.4", prompt on the display. As you can imagine now, I am completely stumped.

I also ran the "Service Test" and the result came back "Service Test Passed". This unit is just a printer. There isn't even a duplexing accesory attached. It is fed print jobs from two or three PCs. It operated fine until that LVPS went out over the weekend. I am obviously missing something here that's causing the problem, but I have no idea what it is. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 10 (521 Views)

Re: LaserJet 9000 - "Printer Error 58.4"

Ken,

You have done everything mentioned in the serv manual for this error. In this link:

http://www.advancedlaser.net/errorcode/error_58.htm

....it calls it a memory senser error.
I'm wondering if you are able to do an engine test to see if the formatter or memory are the cause. Found this that might help:

http://h30125.www3.hp.com/csndocs/qf/files/SD/TWI/c00034483/c00034483.html

Dave
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1158324
Message 3 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I'll probably see that printer again on Friday, 04/29. At that time I'll try thr engine test without the formatter. I'll let you know after that visit if the situation has changed.

Thanks again!

Ken
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 4 of 10 (521 Views)

Ken, i hope u will have a solution. If not,post again, and ill try look out for something on sunday.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 5 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi Ken,check out this document (I think u prety much did all the steps there are mentioned there)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1158324
Message 6 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi Nir A,

I didn't get to see that lj 9000 printer on Friday. I will see it this week.

Thank you very much for the document you referenced in your latest posting. It's the first printed information I've seen that refers specifically to Error 58.4. I'll definitely go through those steps again in the order suggested.

Will let you know the results.

Thanks again, very much!

Ken
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1158324
Message 7 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi Nir A,
I did see that LJ 9000 again but had no success. My only suspicion at this point is that the DC Controller I received was defective. I have a new one coming and should get back to it yet this week.

I'll let you knoe what results I get.

Thanks again!

Ken
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 8 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi Ken,
Its been a while..
Just moving ur thread back up.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1158324
Message 9 of 10 (521 Views)

Hi NirA,
I put another DC Controller in that LJ 9000 on Friday 07/08/05. Same result as before.
Discovered something new. I had replaced part number RG5-5717-000, which HP, Printer Works & TSA World describe as the Toner Sensor Contact Assembly, or the Toner Contact Assembly or the Toner Cartridge Contact Assembly. This is the part name that HP listed to be replaced. The part I should have replaced is part number RG5-5719-000, which is described as a Memory Controller PC Board.

I have this part coming this week. I feel sure it will solve the problem.

It all has to do with using the proper parts nomenclature. If the HP Service Manual had indicated to replace the Memory Controller PC Board, that's what I would have replaced.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks much for your follow up.

Ken
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 10 of 10 (521 Views)

Hmmmm....
Ur right about following the part description and not PN.I hope ull get it solved,keep me updated.
Nir
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation