LaserJet 5 MP and USB and Centronics/Parallel Port Cable (1019 Views)
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 1 of 14 (1,019 Views)

LaserJet 5 MP and USB and Centronics/Parallel Port Cable

Same old story. Just want to see if I am doing something wrong.
-LJ5 worked fine via Parallel Port on XP computer using the miniCentronics port (not the larger Centronics)
-New computer (Vista Home Premium) with no Parallel Port
-Removed the miniCentronics cable from LJ5
-Purchased USB to Centronics cable
-Plugged into USB and larger Centronics port in LJ5 and the drivers were loaded and it put up LaserJet 5MP Postscript printer. Note it chose Postcript printer type...
-Tried a test print and got improper test page (offending command or something like that)
-Removed this PostScript Printer from Vista
-Added New Printer using wizard selecting the USB and tried both Using BiDirectional and no Using Bidirectional option in Vista (I ended up with same end result)
-When I try to print, I open the Printers window and watch the status and it says printing but nothing happens. No lights blink on the LJ5
-Questions:
1) Did I setup this properly using USB printer option?
2) I am going into the larger Centronics port. I did not do that before (I did miniCentronics). Do I need to go into the miniCentronics?
3) if I need an adapter, is it better to go with the USB to Female printer port (for my existing LPT cable so I can use it on USB) or should I go with the Centronics - miniCentronics adapter?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 14 (1,019 Views)

Re: LaserJet 5 MP and USB and Centronics/Parallel Port Cable

The question what type of printer do you have? The title say HP5MP and in your write up you describe it as HP 5. If the printer automatically loaded then all you need to do is go into the properties of that printer and just change the driver not reload it all over again where you may be choosing the wrong port. If you have an HP5 and it is not the M model then you will get a 22 or some other error because postscript is not installed. Just use the standard pcl driver for your printer and it should work. You are confusing the issue with mini and regular centronics. HP5 does not have a mini input only the standard centronics parallel interface.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 3 of 14 (1,019 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the vagueness. It is an HP LaserJet 5MP. In the back there are three interfaces: a LocalTalk, the Centronics and a miniCentronics. I have used it to only communicate via parallel port but now, without a parallel port on my new PC, I am trying to set it up to talk via the usb to Centronics cable that I recently bought. I have had some intial problem but will try again by removing the existing printers and seeing how it goes.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Foust
Message 4 of 14 (1,019 Views)

I am presently trying to do the exact same thing. Same setup, same results. If someone has a solution, or I come up with one ... Please Post.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 5 of 14 (1,019 Views)

I will be buying the usb to parallel and trying it and if that too fails then the Centronics to miniconceverter. I will keep you posted. I think the usb to parallel has the best chance of working... but just a guess... John
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Foust
Message 6 of 14 (1,019 Views)

FYI
Sabrent SBT-UPPC USB to Parallel 6-Foot Printer Cable via AMAZON

VISTA does see the printer. Through printer properties will not send a test page.

1 page word document will print out several pages of "gibberish coding".

I'm still experimenting with the settings.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 7 of 14 (1,019 Views)

I have that cable and experience all you experience. No test page is made. I think this is the next test:

Sabrent USB-DB25F USB to DB25 Female Parallel Converter Adapter 6-Foot Cable

I want to try to use the existing parallel to centronics cable I used before on the old computer and this cable I think will use that...

If that also fails, then only choice is the centronics to mini adapter...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 14 (1,019 Views)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 9 of 14 (1,019 Views)

Ok. I have that one and I am having problems using that cable (same problems listed above). I will do an uninstall of the printer and try again... I assume that I need no settings made on the HPLJ5. Just unplug the microCentronics and plug in the Centronics... I hope this works as I really dont want to have any more cables than I need. :-)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Linda DiLeo
Message 10 of 14 (1,019 Views)

I have a 4p and have been having same problem using 6ft usb to serial cable. Printer self test works fine, I have confirmed all information on test to what is in computer, I have been working on this all weekend. Only idea that came to mind is that since I can get the computer to think it sent the doc to the printer (no error message) and the printer gets no error message, to me that means the computer wants to control the printer. from what I remember of these older printers, they wouldn't work if windows did the controlling. In the old days, windows let you change who controlled the printer, I can't seem to locate it in windows vista. Please anyone have any suggestions before I return a 40 dollar cable..
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Foust
Message 11 of 14 (798 Views)

I am told the "D-Link Wireless Print Server" is supposed to support the HP LaserJet 5MP. ?????

I cannot get anything to work with the cables I have. Was watching for results with the miniCentronics.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
John Melson
Message 12 of 14 (798 Views)

SUCCESS!
I disconnected the USB - fat Centronics cable.
I removed all printers.
I took the old miniCentronics to parallel cable that used to work on the old LPT enabled PC. I got a USB to DB25 Female Parallel Printer Cable from Amazon and attached it to the parallel cable and the USB.
Plug it in.
Vista installed a printer, but it was HPLJ5 MP PostScript. I do not want postscript so I opened properties on the printer and it has a way to change the driver. I selected HP LaserJet 5 MP and said ok.
Tested it and it worked.
The old fat Centronics did not work after repeated attempts. USB to Parallel connecting to my original printer cable did work for me!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Foust
Message 13 of 14 (798 Views)

THANKS, Same reults with the connection!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ping2013
Message 14 of 14 (432 Views)

Hello, I am having hard time to get this work.  I could not find the driver that is NOT PostScript driver.  Would you be able to post screen shoot on youtube please?  Thanks

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation