LaserJet 4100 Default Tray Issues (4429 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Nick Branstein
Message 1 of 7 (4,429 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 4100 Default Tray Issues

My LaserJet 4100 printer is defaulting to tray 1 (manual feed) when it is printed to. This happens even if auto select is chosen in windows.

I am using Windows XP. I read somewhere recently that is is a Firmware problem with Windows XP. Can anyone confirm this? Am I missing somewhere that I can tell the printer not to pull from tray 1?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (4,429 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4100 Default Tray Issues

It is not a firmware issue. Most times it is what the printer thinks is in each tray. Run a configuration sheet and look to see what the printer THINKS is in each tray. Not only the size, but the type of paper. Sometimes tray switches on the tray or in the cavity of the tray go out of wack and the printer does not read the correct size.
Occasional Visitor
Nick Branstein
Message 3 of 7 (4,429 Views)

I printed the configuration and Tray 1 is set to LETTER and tray 2 is set to A4. Default paper size is set to LETTER.

I'm not sure what I am overlooking but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the default paper or the size that is in tray 2.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 7 (4,429 Views)

As I said in my post it could be the tray itself or the tray switches in the tray cavity on the right side. You can not change the size in the menu the size in the tray is determined by those switches. First remove the tray and paper and then move the size piece in the back all the way to legal size and then return to letter size and see if that helps. If not it is probably the switches on the right side where there is a little circut board and one of the switches has gone bad. The usual is the top switch which should be on for letter paper. Another thing you can try which may work is change the override A4 in the menu from no to yes.
Occasional Visitor
Nick Branstein
Message 5 of 7 (4,429 Views)

Thanks for the clarification - I never thought to check for hardware switches in the trays.

I was able to get it working correctly after toggling the switches in/out of their position!
Honored Contributor
Kenneth Chan_2
Message 6 of 7 (4,429 Views)

Nick,

The LJ4100 senses the paper size from the tray itself. If you pull the tray out, you will see 3 levers on the right hand side about half way along the tray. As you adjust the paper size in the tray, you can press the levers and they will either be engaged or move freely. There are corresponding sensors in the printer that sense the levers and so determine the paper size.

If I call the levers Top, Middle and Bottom then for the various paper sizes the following levers will be engaged :-

custom - T
A5 - T & B
legal - B
A4 - T, M & B
letter - M & B
exec - M
B5 - T & M

What David mentioned is that these levers/sensors can go out of alignment and give false paper size readings. So its worth checking these levers are set correct ; you will will see the three sensors, simply push them in and out a few times to make sure they engage and disengage.

regards

Ken
Occasional Visitor
dssppwl
Message 7 of 7 (4,056 Views)

I'm having a similar problem and the tray setting are correct.  The problem is that for some reason plain text prints automatically go to tray two (letter) but postscript and pdf prints attempt to go to tray 1 and prompt for the operator to allow print on tray 2.  How do I get it to either automatically bounce to tray 2 or set the default to be tray 2.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.