LaserJet 4000 N noise when printing (557 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Victoria A Worthy
Message 1 of 5 (557 Views)

LaserJet 4000 N noise when printing

I have this printer attached locally to a workstation, whenever the user prints, it makes a pulling noise, prior to printing and during the printing job. The printer only has a single drawer, so I can't swap it out for troubleshooting purposes.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 5 (557 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4000 N noise when printing

Usually worn separation and pickup rollers. They are the same so that would be the first thing I would change.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K40
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Victoria A Worthy
Message 3 of 5 (557 Views)

Thank you for your post. But, the paper isn't jamming. It is sluggish, and makes a grinding noise before and during printing.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Tom Deike
Message 4 of 5 (557 Views)

The "D" rollers, above the printer tray, inside the drawer housing are worn, and the noise you hear is like worn out tires squealing when you start off fast in your car.

Take them out by turning the printer on it's back and roll the rollers around 1/2 way. There is a tab that will be towards you on each of the rollers. Push that to unclasp and push the back of the roller off. Be careful not to unhook the spring on the left side of the roller rack, because it is hard to get back on the pins.

Roller p/u Tray 2 & 3 HP LJ 4000 RB1-8865-000
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 5 (557 Views)

Those D rollers never go bad. You can clean them with warm soapy water. Just because the printer does not jam does not mean the rollers I mentioned can not be worn. Usually the printer makes a load rubbing sound when picking up the paper. The other item would be the back feed clutch may be to tight and the easy way to tell is to remove the separation roller in the paper tray and then remove the clutch which is next to it and put the roller back on and see if the noise is still present. The one thing you need to do is put some paper on tray 1 (manual feed) and try printing and telling is if it also has the same noise since you could have something else going on here. Most times with noise I have seen where the separation roller in the tray is worn on one side and the pickup roller in the tray is also worn only on one side and they make noise.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation