LaserJet 3380 Memory Low error (2943 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Watchtower Society
Message 1 of 8 (2,943 Views)

LaserJet 3380 Memory Low error

Gday,

Our HP LaserJet 3380 is reporting:
Total Memory: 32MB
Available Memory: 5.72MB

It is unable to scan, says "Memory Low" and printing even the simplest documents takes over a minute.

I have performed:
1) "Clear saved faxes"
2) "Restore Defaults"
3) Turned on Device while holding * and Enter

Is there anything else that can be done to clear the memory? or reset the device?

Will adding another 32MB of memory fix the problem?

Thankyou!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 8 (2,943 Views)

Re: LaserJet 3380 Memory Low error

i would think that if a restore factory or cold reset did'nt clear it,there may be a problem with the original 32MB.try reseating it and try again.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 3 of 8 (2,943 Views)

IS the msg being displaye on the Printer or on the COmputer?
D.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Watchtower Society
Message 4 of 8 (2,943 Views)

The message is being displayed on the printer itself. The memory report comes from the Self Test/Configuration page printed from the printer.

Is it possible to reseat the original 32MB memory? I thought this was inbuilt. Are there any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Damian
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 5 of 8 (2,943 Views)

Well. That is kind of fishy. Even with the original 32 MB, it shouldn't be acting this way after you have performed the Cold Reset. Well, you could add more RAM to it and see. HP OEM parts resellers like Laser Pros International:

888-558-5277, ext 122
Depot-America
Partsnow
printerworks
etc places have the DIMM pretty cheap. Upgrade the RAM should help.

D>
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 6 of 8 (2,943 Views)

right;i'm not too overly familiar with this model.it may be that the original 32MB is built in and cannot be reseated.that was just a general suggestion.i believe that 9MB of the original 32 is system memory.it just seems odd that the methods for clearing it are not doing that.like Dewaine said,you could just try adding another 32MB and see.

the only other things i can think of might be a firmware upgrade or nv ram initialization.nv ram init can be pretty extreme and clear much of the setup and other info off the system.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Watchtower Society
Message 7 of 8 (2,943 Views)

Thanks for your help.
I might try a NV Ram initialisation if the purchase of the extra RAM doesnt work. Its either that or dispose of the printer.

How do we perform a NV RAM initialisation? There doesnt seem to be any instructions from HP...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
HerbZ
Message 8 of 8 (2,904 Views)

LaserJet 3380 Memory Low error

My HP LaserJet 3380 prints out the same Memory numbers on the Self Test/Configuration report:
Total Memory: 32MB
Available Memory: 5.72MB

Is it possible (as was suggested in posted questions about other LaserJet models) that the drivers or other printing software are taking up all of the installed 32 MB except for the last 5.72 MB that the printer seems to say is available for print jobs?

I only have the problem of slow printing with more detailed *.pdf files, some pdf's won't even print, and I get an error message when making multiple copies of a large number of pages, so that you have to push a button to continue the print job for only 1 set of copies of the original.

If the hp drivers (or HP Photosmart Studio, or HP Device Manager) are taking up that much of the 32 MB memory module (one driver *.dmg file is, for example, 29 MB or so), is it possible to get more usable memory by using an older, slimmed down driver?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation