LaserJet 2800 functionality in Windows 7 over the network (work-around solution) (13007 Views)
Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 1 of 12 (13,007 Views)

LaserJet 2800 functionality in Windows 7 over the network (work-around solution)

[ Edited ]

In the absence of drivers from HP, the work-around solution appears to be to install the Vista version of the HP “Full Solution” software (hp_CLJ_2820-2840_Vista32_Full_Solution_AMWE.exe) using the Vista “compatibility mode” in Windows 7.   This solution is provided courtesy "Mike" at weston-fl.com: http://www.weston-fl.com/blog/?p=439

I’ve installed all the Vista version HP software and it prints fine (as before).  However, when I bring up the HP Toolbox, it just indicates that “There are no devices connected”, so now I'm stuck. 

I have the firewall turned off for the local (trusted) network, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Any suggestions?   I’m hoping that there is just some basic step that I have overlooked. 

The HP LaserJet 2840 is at a fixed IP address.

====

Also see these instructions: HP Color LaserJet 2820/2830/2840 Installation Instructions - Windows 7 32 bit only "Compatibility Mo...   (Download Word doc.)

Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 2 of 12 (12,994 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2800 functionality in Windows 7 over the network (work-around solution)

[ Edited ]

I've run the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility 3.0 and the scanner passes the "Connectivity" and "Device Manager" test, but not the "Driver" test.  The diagnostic utility generates the following message: "The scan driver is not functioning correctly because the product is being used by another process. Turn the product off, turn it on again, then restart computer."

Even after doing all that, the same diagnostic message is generated after restarting.  Assuming that is correct, then the problem appears to be that "the product is being used by another process", whatever that means.

The HP Print Diagnostic Utility 4.0 indicates that there are no problems.

HP Pro
navbond007
Message 3 of 12 (12,958 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2800 functionality in Windows 7 over the network (work-around solution)

Hi,

what model og LJ 2800 are you referring to? I think for both LJ 2820 and 2840 scan drivers are avialable for Win 7. Here is the link for it

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=445197&p...

Thanks

Naveen K
HP Tech Marketing Engineer
Click on the STAR button to say thanks

(Although employed by HP, I'm trying to address the issues with my

sole willingness and my employer does not bear any liability for my

responses)

Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 4 of 12 (12,936 Views)

Naveen, the link you referenced only provides printer drivers.  It does not provide drivers for the scanner functionality; instead, it provides directions on how to use the Win 7 native scan interface, which does not actually work. 

What HP's customers are expecting (but not getting) is a "full solution" driver for the full AIO functionality.

In the absence of that, the workaround appears to be to install the Vista full solution driver in Win 7's Vista compatibility mode.  This is the solution offered by HP itself (per the last link in my initial post of this thread).  So that is the solution I'm trying to implement on my LJ 2840.  

In searching for a solution I've learned that your employer, HP, has alienated many people over their failure to support the expensive and excellent AIO LJ 2800 series scanner/printers. Not only is HP not providing drivers for Win 7, but also not for the latest version of Snow Leopard (not even just the print drivers).  Perhaps HP is hoping people will buy new devices instead, and they may, but they won't be buying HP devices.

If HP is not going to provide Win 7 drivers, then the least they could do (which may be just as good), is provide clear instructions on how to get the Vista drivers working in Win 7. 

Occasional Contributor
WILLIAM KAMBIC
Message 5 of 12 (12,867 Views)

Same problems, Jeff.

It would appear that Naveen's employer is unconcerned about the situation.  That being the case I doubt there will be much relief any time soon.

Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 6 of 12 (12,859 Views)

William, well, my posts took place over the Thanksgiving holidays, maybe they'll be more responsive next week.

In any case, hopefully we can get a thread going with HP personnel and others about getting the series 2800 Vista drivers working in the Windows 7 "Vista mode" (as per the links in my initial posts).  It seems to me that this solution would be perfectly satisfactory to the HP 2800 customer base (in the absence of Win 7 drivers). 

Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 7 of 12 (12,835 Views)

I'm hoping to make this into a thread to develop a work-around solution for HP's failure to provide AIO "full solution" drivers for Win 7.

I asked above about getting the AIO software working in the the Win 7 "Vista mode".  I started down that path but seem to have encountered a snag and need help trouble-shooting it.

As an alternative, DavidZuts suggested this thread for a possible solution:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/Laserjet-2840-Finely-a-solution-to-run-HP-Director-on...

This appears to be the same as what I'm trying to do, except it is installing HP's XP AIO software in Win 7's XP mode (instead of the Vista AIO in Vista mode).  I'm reluctant to start down that path as I expect I would encounter the same snags.  

In addition to Win 7's XP mode, there is also an XP emulator that can be downloaded from Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ 

So there appears to be three options as follows:

• Vista mode
  • XP mode
  • XP emlulator

Whichever of those three solutions produces the most reliable result would be fine with me!

Advisor
Todd Carpenter
Message 8 of 12 (12,528 Views)

It is so sad that this issue is still the same as it was in December of 2009. I fought this issue until February when I finally through in the towel.. The solutions you are being offered will not work. They are the same things HP offered a year ago. The only reliable solution is to move on. I did and have been extremely pleased. Search for MFC-9840CDW. Outstanding results in an Ethernet configuration. Printing, scanning, full duplex. You will not regret it once you've burned through the supplies you have for your 2840. HP really burned some high dollar customers in their handling of this issue.
Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 9 of 12 (12,124 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't have the time & money to spend on a new printer at this time.  So, meanwhile, I'll keep following up on this posting as perhaps someone at HP, or somewhere else, may figure out how to get this working.

If HP will not support their printer products in WIn 7, then they should at least provide guidance as to how to get the "Full Solution" working in Win 7's Vista or XP emulation.  That's not asking too much, is it?

If I have to buy a new printer because of HP's failure to support their product in Win 7, you can be sure that I will tell this story far and wide.

Occasional Visitor
Christian Weißenseel
Message 10 of 12 (10,676 Views)

At the moment the one and only solution with Windows 7 64 Bit (Professional & Ultimate version) is printing via LAN but scanning via USB (use a very long cable!). Just install one of  HP's latest universal 64 bit OS drivers. When you are connecting the 2840 with your computer via USB, some software will be installed in addition. That's what I was doing tonight when I installed my new Fujitsu Lifebook E751. I could scan with my 2840 without any difficulties in Windows print and scan, Sage ERP and in ReadIRIS 12.

Nevertheless HP should really issue asap a full solution for 64 bit OS.. What will happen when Windows 8 will be issued, same procedure as last time?

Advisor
Jeff S_5
Message 11 of 12 (10,670 Views)

"What will happen when Windows 8 will be issued?"  That's my concern. I'm very reluctant to buy any future HP products after seeing how quickly they abandoned this one.  They didn't even try to provide a work-around solution for keeping the printer functional on the network.

Occasional Advisor
Greg Beauclair
Message 12 of 12 (10,562 Views)

Jeff- I have also been fighting this battle for over a year since I bought a computer with Windows 7.  I wanted to let you know that I have installed the Windows XP Virtual Machine and used HP Director with a lot of success.  It's definitely not perfect (virtual machine is MUCH slower, and it gives you one more window to open), but I have full functionality of the 2840.  That being said, as soon as I use up the toner stockpile I have amassed, I will most definitely look into getting a new printer.  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.