LaserJet 2605dn "79 Error" (55041 Views)
Visitor
rlobe
Message 1 of 34 (55,041 Views)

LaserJet 2605dn "79 Error"

[ Edited ]

My printer shows a "79 Error" and the documentation says that it is a critical Firmware error.  Being a Sunday, I get no help from HP Customer Care so I started making calls.  The Geek Squad says I should be able to download the Firmware and re-install it (at least that's where they would start if I took it to them).  I can't find any Firmware download at the HP site.  Can anyone help me troubleshoot a fix?  Or do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Randy

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 34 (54,790 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2605dn "79 Error"

Problem is even with the firmware update you may not be able to update the printer's firmware since it can not get to the ready stage.  Below is the link to the firmware but I do not think it will help you.  You may have to replace the formatter.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 3 of 34 (54,764 Views)

The error can also be caused by a malformed print job (sends the I/O into "la-la land")...

Disconnect the network cable, or USB cable (depending on how you connect) ... then power off the printer ... wait at least 20 seconds ... then power back on.   If the printer comes up to Ready (and stays that way) without being connected to network or to your computer, then you know the problem is probably a bad/faulty print job and you can check for print jobs still lingering in the computer trying to print.

Visitor
rlobe
Message 4 of 34 (54,757 Views)

It still has the error with the network cable unplugged. 

Visitor
rlobe
Message 5 of 34 (54,756 Views)

You are right in that I can't get the printer to go to a "Ready" state.  How would I go about replacing the formatter?  Is that something I can do or do I need to take it to a service location? 

Visitor
winnt
Message 6 of 34 (53,156 Views)

What did you end up doing with your printer?
Occasional Advisor
zed8954
Message 7 of 34 (51,342 Views)

Well, I ordered a used formatter on Friday from eBay (around $50 bucks plus tax), and got it today (that was fast) and replaced the board and all is well FINALLY!

And I bet since I paid out of pocket for this fix, HP will send out a free fix for this problem soon.  Never fails, it always happens to me.

Well, good luck everyone who are also having problems.

Occasional Advisor
bg-beach
Message 8 of 34 (51,334 Views)

We're aware that some customers have had issues with this firmware version.  The previous version of firmware for this device has been posted. Please call HP support if you downloaded the firmware and are experiencing issues.

I am an HP employee.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 9 of 34 (50,136 Views)

Just bring the printer to an authorized support provider. HP has issues a service note for this problem and the support provider should be able to repair it for you at no charge under the service note.
Occasional Visitor
superrushfan33
Message 10 of 34 (46,641 Views)

It is with utter madness that you guys hp have released a firmware version 2605_series_fw_update-20120413 that has destroyed so many hp 2605 printers that were in perfect working order. and then you dont even have the formatters available or you dont even honour any type of warranty from updates,

You guys made the bad update and you guys posted it on the driver site listing it as required for windows 7.

it makes me sick.

oh by the way i bought a brother printer and it is working very well thanks.

former 30 year HP customer

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 34 (46,630 Views)

Did you bother to read my post above. HP issued a service note and has a repair procedure in place at no cost to you. Any authorized service provider could do the job for you. So what you posted is not true and you need to retract it.
Occasional Visitor
n982sx
Message 12 of 34 (46,163 Views)

David

While I may not be as frustrated as the guy you responded to.  I have been unable to locate a service provider who will take my printer in for service without a charge.

They all say the same thing. They know nothing about any service notes. If the serial number says its under warranty they will fix no charge, otherwise the bill is on me.  No tech guys I have talked with have any specific knowledge of 2605dn and 79 errors.

My printer was working fine until this happened. Now I get one or two documents to print after turning the printer on, then it's 79 error until the printer is recycled.

Any suggestions?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 34 (46,154 Views)

First off your printer will not be covered by the service note. This issue occurred when a 2012 firmware upgrade was applied and the printer would then boot to a 79 error. You obviously did not upgrade to that firmware version since you say you can print one or two documents and then the error. Your issue is just a bad formatter which will not be covered. Sorry. You could try a NVRAM reset or try the firmware upgrade which is located on your printers support page. You may get lucky.
Occasional Visitor
n982sx
Message 14 of 34 (46,147 Views)

Well, I did update to that Firmware version  20120413.  It's just that I did it recently.  The problem started immediately after.  It occasionally boots right to a 79 error but usually doesn't.  As I said, it will give me a print job or two then quit.

I am disappointed that the service note would not cover my situation as the relationship to the problem was instant.  I thought I must have had a bad copy of the Firmware or an issue flashing it, so I downloaded it again and flashed it again.  Same result.

I also saw your post on resetting the NVRAM but that did not help. I like to keep up with Firmware updates but not when they first come out.  It never occurred to me to see if others had had problems as it was clearly released over 6 months ago so I assumed it was stable, but there is not doubt it killed my printer.

Since I received your reply, I have checked on pricing of replacement formatter boards and will probably go that route as I am an old hand at doing that sort of thing.

While not as verbally abusive as the poster you chided, I am very disappointed in HP with my result.

Thanks for your help in this matter, it is appreciated.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 15 of 34 (46,104 Views)

As I said above if you printer works some of the time then you did not upgrade with the firmware in question. Below is what HP says about the error so you know I am not making this up.

"Firmware for the HP LaserJet 2605 Series Printer was recently updated to include a new security feature. The datecode on the new firmware is 20120413. Performing the update on certain customer units has rendered them inoperable.

SCOPE
It is currently estimated that approximately 3% of customers who install this update will encounter this problem. The update was removed from HP.COM after approximately 2000 customer downloads. The issue occurs only with firmware datecode 20120413.

Immediately after the update procedure, affected units will display 79 Error power off power on . Cycling power on affected units will not restore proper operation (the 79 Error message returns immediately)."
Occasional Visitor
n982sx
Message 16 of 34 (45,992 Views)

When I print a configuration page from the printer, it says the firmware datecode is 20120413 just like in the note.  That can't happen unless it updated the firmware!

I can usually print this page or one job, then it gives a 79 error.  Immediately prior to this, I never had any issue with the printer.  Immediately after the install of this updated firmware this error started happening.

This firmware update killed my printer, in a manner very similar to what is described in the note.  If I don't print a job after turning the printer on, it will give a 79 error after several minutes of sitting idle. I understand the difference between booting up straight to the error code and booting up and operating long enough to get one job off. In my case that is a distinction without a difference since the behavior started immediately after the upgrade.

Thanks for you help, but your insistence that I didn't upgrade the firmware is incomprehensible. By the way, the note says that the firmware was removed, but it is still available for download. 

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 17 of 34 (45,988 Views)

>the note says that the firmware was removed, but it is still available for download.

I assume you got it on a URL like:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

This seems to have the bad date but with an additional newer date in parentheses: 20120413 (13 Sep 2012)

(I'm not sure why they didn't just use the newer date so they wouldn't confuse customers.)

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 18 of 34 (45,981 Views)

Your problem is the service note only covers those printers that come to an immediate 79 error at boot up and never ever come to ready. Since yours sometimes comes to ready, it is not covered. The 79 error on boot up only effected a small number of printers that had the upgrade applied.
Occasional Visitor
avgerinos
Message 19 of 34 (45,790 Views)

I started having the same problem 4 days ago. I did not update
the firmware. Could it have happened automatically ? I love this
printer but it is now useless.
Occasional Visitor
terrywang
Message 20 of 34 (42,737 Views)

We started having a simlar problem a few days ago. At first we wre getting a broken pipe message. Then we started getting 79 error. It is sporadic. Sometime it allows us to print few jobs before giving the error message. But the other day it got to the point where it would only let us print 1 copy of a file and then give the message and we would ahve to power the printer off and on.

We have not upgraded our firmware in quite awhile, but why would we suddenly start getting the message when all has been going fine for years? After reading all these posts I am wary of upgrading our firmware.

More advice?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 21 of 34 (42,730 Views)

79 error is not a firmware error but a formatter communication error with the dc controller. 95% of the time the issue is something is wrong with the formatter. Firmware will not correct the issue. The problem that everyone had with the new firmware issue was the new firmware caused a problem with the formatter on about 5% of units that did the upgrade. There was a procedure in place by hp to reverse the process but it involved a jumper and a couple of files which are no longer available.
Occasional Visitor
terrywang
Message 22 of 34 (42,571 Views)

Thanks. So do you think it's worth paying for the HP diagnostic or should I just take it to a repair shop? How much does it usually cost to replace the formatter?

Occasional Visitor
shadargroup
Message 23 of 34 (40,188 Views)

Hello!

After applying the firmware update a few months ago I do get the "ready" after a restart, but 95%+ of my prints result in the 79 error.  I work in the technilogy field, and have tried the 6 different computers in my house (PC and Mac).  I have done both of the resets on the printer (and completely set it up again) with the same results.

Also, at the suggestion of the HP service center in my area, I re-loaded the firmware.  Again, nothing changed.

I aprecaite the warranty exception, but it sounds like I am not in the group, since I will get the "ready" message after a restart of the printer.

Occasional Visitor
shadargroup
Message 24 of 34 (40,187 Views)

This link doesn't seem to be working now. Knowing I can get to a "ready" state, I was hoping to downgrade my firmware, as a troubleshooting attempt.
Occasional Visitor
Mknder
Message 25 of 34 (36,485 Views)

SOLVED : 79 error on 2605dn.

I just got the 79 error code. constant resetting. I shut off the printer, removed power cord, left it unplugged for 5 minutes. I opened up a little latch door on the back of the printer and inside was a removable stick of memory (ram). I removed the ram and closed the little metal door. By the way... that board that the memory is plugged into is the frmatter board. Now, pull out the paper drawer. <--sounds silly, but it worked for me.

Put the power cord back into the printer, wait for 20 seconds, and turn it back on.

I did those exact steps and I got an error because the paper was removed. I put the paper drawer back and it continued to boot up as normal with no errors.

I turned the printer back off to see if it would work again, and when I turned it back on it was still working.

I also reinstalled the memory and turned it back on and the 79 error came back. When I removed the memory(after unplugging the printer) it was working again.

I believe that the update may have messed with the printer's memory management features in a way that was no longer compatible with the extra memory I had installed. I had a 128 MB module installed.

I am betting that resetting to factory defaults will allow me to use the memory again, but I am not going to try it until it becomes an issue.

BTW: It could be bad memory, but so many people have this issue it seems unlikely... unless the update destroyed the memory somehow.

Good luck everyone!!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.