LaserJet 2550 printing only random colors (1337 Views)
Occasional Advisor
LaBoheme
Message 1 of 7 (1,337 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 2550 printing only random colors

Test pages sometimes print correctly, sometimes in only magenta and black, sometimes only yellow., sometimes only black. Documents are randomly printing correctly, sometimes only magenta and yellow, sometimes only yellow. There is no clear pattern, and it's infuriating. Drum light is on, but test page says I get another 600 pages. If I change the imaging drum now, will this problem clear up? (I don't want to open a new drum if the printer is trash.)

Using OS X Snow Leopard and had to remove all HP extensions from the system to get the printer to work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (1,332 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2550 printing only random colors

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
LaBoheme
Message 3 of 7 (1,327 Views)

Thanks, David. I had read that post, and it did not seem to apply. If the cartridges were not properly seated, I do not think that sometimes the pages would print correctly in CMYK. (Besides, I'm afraid to do surgery) Nor have I recently changed any cartridges.

I live at the beach, and the salt air seems to corrode everything. It really seems to me that there is some sort of brain disconnect going on. Is it possible that the macbook is not properly communicating with the electronics in the printer?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 7 (1,322 Views)

Believe me your issue is the selenoid.  Easy enough to test.  Press the go button on the printer to generate a test page and do it a couple of times.  You can also press both the go button and cancel job button at the same time to generate a config page which will have blocks of all colors. If the colors start to disappear you know it is the selenoid.   I have worked on over a dozen of these over the years with this problem and the issue was always the selenoid.  Believe me the driver and your MAC have nothing to do with this.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
LaBoheme
Message 5 of 7 (1,319 Views)

OK. If you insist. But I think I'll do it in the morning after I have had a cup of coffee. Will let you know how it goes, and probably write again when I get confused.

Thanks a lot.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
LaBoheme
Message 6 of 7 (1,310 Views)

Hola, David,

I opened up the printer and found the L-bar. It seemed to go up and down without a problem. I found no sticky stuff between the L and the metal part above, but tried to get between the two to clean them. Am I now supposed to put a piece of something between the L and the metal piece above? I have a little piece of sticky felt, but if I put it between, the L doesn't have much space to lift.

Please help!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
LaBoheme
Message 7 of 7 (1,305 Views)

I put a little piece of electrical tape between the two parts. I am now printing in full color! Test pages, PDFs, the works! Thanks very much for your help!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation