Re: LaserJet 2100 (1391 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Morley
Message 1 of 9 (2,231 Views)

LaserJet 2100

1)I just bought a HP Pavillon  Elitte with a 64 bet AMD Processor and Windows 7 Premium. Question does anyone know of an HP driver that can be downloaded to work with my LaserJet 2100 Printer? 2) The printer has a cintronics cable, is there a way to connect it through a USB port?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 9 (2,218 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2100

The link below is for a cable you can use.  The driver should be built into windows 7.

http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoparallel.asp

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
fraser
Message 3 of 9 (2,060 Views)

Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same problem and have been told that there is a compatability problem and that I should get a new printer. Any advice.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tckraemer
Message 4 of 9 (2,053 Views)

windows 7 doesnt appear to reconize a laserjet 2100. plug and play doesnt work.... several drivers dont work. any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 9 (2,046 Views)

The driver is built into the windows os.  If not listed click on the windows update and wait for the screen to repopulate and it should be listed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
fraser
Message 6 of 9 (2,039 Views)

I have downloaded the drivers. The USB port automatically recognizes the 2100 printer as a controller listed as an unspecified device. After loading the driver and configuring the printer with the correct USB port, word documents can print, but PDF files and Excel workbooks don't print in their entirety. The first few pages of the document will print and then a page comes out with error: Illegal tag. Everyone (HP service centers, Best Buy, Microsoft store and computer shops) I have checked with indicated that windows 7 is not compatible with this printer which is 10 years old. They said windows 7 professional version may work, but that was an estimated guess. The HP website does not adress the issue. There is no incentive for HP to provide a patch. They would rather have you purchase a new printer which I may have to do. Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 9 (2,024 Views)

You should not have to download any drivers.  Tell you what go into the properties of the printer and go to the page where you can change the driver.  Select new driver and a page should come up with vendors names, but there will also be a link for windows update.  Click on the link and wait for the screen to repopulate and then scroll down to hp and then scroll on the right side to laserjet 2100 pcl  and finish up.  This printer uses standard pcl5 so there should not be any issue.  Heck try using the LJIII driver which is also built into the operating system.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
fraser
Message 8 of 9 (1,967 Views)

Thanks for your help. So far this has worked. I had previously been using the PCL 6 driver as I didn't think there was a difference between the two.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
Rawben
Message 9 of 9 (1,391 Views)

[ Edited ]

David,

Can you tell me how I can obtain an English speaking HP tech support person tomorrow from either Canada or the USA to help me with my Laserjet 2100?  I've paid for support today to no avail.  The Costa Rica tech support person is doing to speak with a coworker tomorrow and call me.  I'm not feeling very confident.  I'm having the same issue on this thread.  When I do as you indicated in the properties, there is a choice to choose the vendor type.

My drivers have been removed, so that could be why.  When I search the drivers on the Hp site, I'm given three choices:

1. PCL6
  2. Universal
  3. PCL5

I originally loaded PCL and for some reason they ATTACHED themselves (the drivers) to my 2nd printer (a color one) all by it's self.  Very strange.

BTW, I had help with my color printer (via HP in Canada who very great!) and they provided me a service ticket # that I was told any HP tech support person can access.  The Costa Rica tech support person said they didn't know what that number was or meant? 

Any suggestions on how I can obtain better assistance with someone who I can understand?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation