LaserJet 1320 Win7 64-bit and sharing to XP (2100 Views)
Occasional Visitor
g8rcb
Message 1 of 3 (2,100 Views)

LaserJet 1320 Win7 64-bit and sharing to XP

I just installed a system Win7 64-bit Pro and attached a laserjet 1320 via usb. It installed a pcl5 driver and configured it to share the device. When I try to install the printer on the XP Pro 32-bit box, I point it to the downloaded pcl5 xp driver from hp. It says can't locate a suitable driver. I then downloaded the pcl6 for XP and same message. I then downloaded the vista pcl6 driver for the Win7 pc and shared it again. This time I downloaded the pcl6 driver XP on the Win7 pc to add under additional drivers. I then went to add the printer on the XP pc. It will add successfully, but printing any document fails (even a test page). Anybody got this working?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 3 (2,100 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1320 Win7 64-bit and sharing to XP

There is a trick you need to do. On the xp computer load the printer as a local printer attached to lpt1. Do not use autodetect or choose to test print. Just load it like it is attached to the xp computer. When done go to printers and faxes and right click on the printer icon and scroll down to properties and left click. No select port and change the port to the shared port on the windows 7 computer. Example the port would be \\win7\lj1320 where you substitute the computer name of the windows 7 computer for win7 and substitute the printer share name for the lj1320. Good Luck.
Occasional Visitor
g8rcb
Message 3 of 3 (2,100 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1320 Win7 64-bit and sharing to XP

yep the 1 thing I didn't try...I had loaded it locally so I knew the driver was good...just didn't switch the port.

Thanks
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.