LaserJet 1200 won't print PDFs (2703 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Ken Spiker
Message 1 of 15 (2,703 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 1200 won't print PDFs

I can't print PDF files on my LJ 1200 from either Adobe Reader 5 or Reader 6 for Mac. I have downloaded HP documents on printing suggestions and they haven't worked for me. I talked for half and hour to HP support and he didn't know what was wrong either. I have a PowerMac G4/533, OSX 10.2.6. LaserJet prints other documents okay. When I try to print a PDF I get an error message: "This document cannot be printed." Anybody know about this? I will of course get on Adobe Reader support for this too.

Ken
Occasional Visitor
Allan_21
Message 2 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1200 won't print PDFs

having the same problem. Driving me nuts. Laserjet 1200 on an eMac g4, via USB. "The document could not be printed" on Adobe Reader 6, "The document failed to print" on Reader 5 no matter what I do. Tried everything I can think of.

Printing PDFs with Apple's Preview app works okay. Slow as bejeezus, though... about 5 minutes a page, and the lack of some of Reader's features (like a page scaling option, for example), make my workflow impossible.

Got on tech support with HP, MacWarehouse, Adobe, Apple... no answers. HP gave me a real runaround... very impatient and pompous fellow on the other end of the line. The only ideas anybody had were from a guy at MacWarehouse (where we bought the infernal printer in the first place), who was trying to sell me something else. I almost bought another printer. This problem has been a black hole for time... I hate it.

I have deleted and reinstalled the most current drivers multiple times. I have deleted all HP files from my computer, then tried it. I reinstalled and tried it again. I even tried installing GNU Linux drivers, but I'm no good with the command line, so I gave that up.

My ideas for what the problem might be: I thought at first I was having problems with a non-networked printer... too small of a pipe through USB maybe, or something with PDF and serial disagreement. But other people print PDFs all the time on USB laser printers... Then, I thought, hey maybe I don't have enough memory on the printer. But shouldn't a 300K file have plenty of room in a 8MB printer? Then, I found a document on Adobe's site that says that Adobe Reader doesn't like to print on non PostScript licensed printers. The HP 1200 uses a non-Adobe PS 3 emulator. But so does every other manufacturer in this price bracket!

Adobe InDesign returns the message "Printer selection failed. Restoring the previous selection" when I try to choose the HP 1200 in the print dialog. Photoshop prints raster just fine. Text documents print fine on the 1200, and all PDFs print fine (even from Reader) on my Canon S750 USB inkjet. (The inkjet takes everything you throw at it). This is why I suspect it's a PostScript error. I have not tried printing EPS though.

I will have to buy a new printer if this is not figured out soon, but I don't want to get one and find out the same problem exists. But the Brother 5070 is starting to look real pretty... Rendezvous networking and all.
Occasional Advisor
Ken Spiker
Message 3 of 15 (2,703 Views)

I feel your pain. I talked to HP Support for an hour recently, and unlike your experience they were helpful and patient, but they didn't help me with the PDF problem. They said that it's a "known issue" and that there was something about it on the Adobe Reader web site but I haven't found that yet. Software makers will blame each other when something doesn't work. For instance, the LaserJet 1200 won't print envelopes from Microsoft WordX and HP insists that it's a WordX problem. There's a workaround for that but it's tedious. I too am having doubts about the LJ 1200.

Now an interesting thing: I took LJ 1200 home where I have a G4 DP 1.24 GHz also running 10.2.6 and it printed from Reader 6. Go figure. But the G4/533 at the office won't.

My other HP printer, a DeskJet, prints from Reader 6 just fine.

While is was talking to HP support he told me that the software for HP 1200 which comes on the disk with the printer (and what's posted on the HP website) isn't necessary (!) for the Mac. He had me uninstall the software and it printed okay, but it still wouldn't print PDFs. I don't know what do do about this, except to put pressure on Adobe and HP to fix the problem. Other people have had this problem as evidenced by postings on this forum and the Adobe Reader Mac forum. I suppose not enough people have had this problem to get their attention.

Ken
Advisor
JPeG_1
Message 4 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Try running the repair disk utility. Sometimes this will get a printer running right (Just go to HDD>Apps>Util and run "Disk Utility" - click on the partition on the left (indented) and then click "first aid" then "repair disk permissions")

Next, try booting into safe mode and see if you can print. I haven't seen this problem myself.. but maybe I'll grab someones 1200 just to mess with it :).

To boot into safe mode, turn the mac off. Then turn it back on. As soon as you turn it on, hold down the shift button.

Then try printing. If that doesn't work (or if it does) reply here. I'll see what else I can dig up for ya.

Cheers.
JPeG
Advisor
JPeG_1
Message 5 of 15 (2,703 Views)

I'm a moron..

try this too

hehe

go to Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ there are two files in there for the 1200. Keep the file that ends in .gz and oust the other. Jump into print center, delete the printer, then readd it through USB. Make sure to select hp printer model and 1200 as the model. Should be good to go.

Let me know how things progress.

Cheers..... again.. :)
JPeG
Occasional Advisor
Ken Spiker
Message 6 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Thanx, JPeG, that last little business worked! Wow. Now I can print from Acrobat Reader. I'm etrnally grateful.

Ken
Occasional Visitor
Theodore Ketcham
Message 7 of 15 (2,703 Views)

I'm having exactly the same problem with PDF. Also PageMaker no longer prints for me - the 1200 light blinks for awhile and then nothing.

Where do I find "Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ " mentioned by JpEG?

My LJ 1200 is in peril of going airborne.

Thanks!
Advisor
BR750842
Message 8 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Dont know if its the same for MACs but we had very similar problems with PCs. We had to install Adobe Acrobat Reader v3.01 4 and 5 aswell so as to read and print all PDFs, especially some goverment site ones.
If I had more hands life would be alot more fun!
Occasional Visitor
David Rogers_2
Message 9 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Theodore,

If you have not yet received a response to your question, you will find the correct path beginning with the Library folder you'll find upon clicking on your HD icon on your desktop. Don't know if this is universal, but I was initially confused by Library folder in my Documents directory.

Relatedly, has anyone had luck with the foomatic HPIJS (1.4.1)? After loading ESP Ghostscript I tried HPIJS hoping I would finally wrest control over my 1200 - no luck, prints machine characters.

Good luck all.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 10 of 15 (2,703 Views)

Much the same problem, although not quite as bad. LJ1200 on Win2K, USB, PS driver installed, set to 600 dpi. Prints everything fine including 1 page .pdf files. However, if printing a .pdf file greater than 1 page, it will print at the rate of approximately 1 page every 5 minutes. Have played around with "Print as Image" or not, "Save Printer Memory" or not. Nothing makes a difference. I'm at wit's end on this. Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Pat
Occasional Visitor
CA1036157
Message 11 of 15 (2,805 Views)

JPeG's solution was helpful. However, I was still not able to print from Acrobat Reader 5.1 (OS X 10.2.8, G4, LaserJet 1200 via USB).
I did what JPeG recommended:
1) go to Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ there are two files in there for the 1200. Keep the file that ends in .gz and oust the other. Jump into print center, delete the printer, then readd it through USB. Make sure to select hp printer model and 1200 as the model.
Then I did a few more things:
2) Installed Reader 6.0 (free download from Adobe)
3) unplugged the printer to clear it
4) restarted the computer.
Then I was able to print pdf files.
Hope this helps
Occasional Visitor
CA1075198
Message 12 of 15 (2,805 Views)

I just began to experience this same problem, but only after I updated my HP LaserJet 1200 driver after I had installed the new Mac OS 10.2.8. Previous to my installing the new update that I obtained from the HP online site, I was able to print Adobe Reader 6 with no problems running OS 10.2.8; then just after installing the printer driver for the OS X from HP online, suddenly every time I wanted to print a PDF file, I got the same error message, "This document cannot be printed." Yet when I rebooted from Classic and running OS 9, I was still able to print my Adobe Reader files. I figured it had to be the new driver I installed. After reading this page of troubleshooting, I followed exactly the directions given by JPeG on August 5, 2003â it worked! Suddenly, I can now print my PDF files!

However, I read in another thread from Ken about a new problem I began to experience with my LJ 1200 just after I installed the new MS Word X update. Now, I too cannot print my envelopes as I had always done with MS Word under OS 9; I have tried everything and nothing works. The only way I can print my envelopes is to reboot in Classic mode OS 9, open my Word document and suddenly I am able to format and print my envelopes. But this is so time consuming that I've taken to just printing out labels in Word X. Does anyone have a solution to this envelope printing problem in the new MS Word for OS X?

Than
Occasional Advisor
Ken Spiker
Message 13 of 15 (2,805 Views)

The only way I know how to solve that envelope problem is to revert to the original Word X, 10.0.0 as it comes off the install disk. The Word X update broke the envelope function, at least for that printer. I did that and there's no problem. I don't know what the Word X updates do because Microsoft won't say. But so far I haven't noticed anything different. I complained, but you know Microsoft.

There is another fix, but is very tedious and defeats the purpose of the envelope function. Let me know how you do with the first solution.

Ken
Occasional Visitor
CA978413
Message 14 of 15 (2,805 Views)

We now have this exact same problem, only occurring with a HP LJ 4000 via network connection. We were able to print pdf files with no problem and recently we aren't able to print in Mac OS 9 or X. We can print other documents with no problem in both OS and can print same pdfs to other network and USB printers, including HP 1300 USB. We have uninstalled, reinstalled Reader 5/6 depending on OS and also reinstalled printer. I am going to remove printer and read and/or try the "Library" suggestions in this thread and hopefully that will solve the issue. Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's good to know we're not the only ones experiencing this, and that it's not only on Macs since the majority of our users, including our IT staff, are non-Macs.
Occasional Visitor
Walter H. Drew
Message 15 of 15 (2,805 Views)

Apple's Preview to the rescue?

The following workaround found by experimentation worked for me when I couldn't get LaserJet 1200 to print a .PDF file while using Adobe Reader 7.0.3 under Mac OS 10.4.2 (Tiger).

1. Open .PDF file

2. Save As to Desktop.

3. Drag icon of saved .PDF file from Desktop and drop on Preview icon in Dock.

4. Print. Note: The LaserJet 1200 is slow to wake up and may take up to one minute to begin printing.

The point seems to be that LaserJet 1200 needs to have .pdf documents pre-processed by Preview to make them printable.

Walter
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.