LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers (18648 Views)
Occasional Visitor
David Quesada
Message 26 of 38 (5,185 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers

Alright, I found the real fix for this so you can print at normal speed and not got the â Pesonality Not Supported: PCLâ Error .

1. First off, go download HPâ s LaserJet 1012 Host Based drivers.

64-bit: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

32-bit:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=306510&p...

2. Extract the driver.
3. Plug in and turn on your printer if you havenâ t already.
4. Go to Start>Devices and Printers, and choose to add a printer
5. Choose to add a local printer
6. Choose Dot-4-usb printing support
7. Click Have Diskâ ¦ on the next windows
8. Navigate to where you extracted the drivers, and choose the inf file
9. Choose the HP 1012 HB Driver
10. Follow the prompt till it installs the printer or what not

Now you may notice that it prints slow as heck, well no worries! To fix that do this.

1. Go to Start, right click Computer and choose Manage
2. Go to Device Manager
3. Find 1284.4 dot4usb Printing Support
4. Right click it and choose Update Driver
5. Choose â Browse my computer for driver software.â
6. Choose USB Virtual Printing Support
7. Follow the prompt, exit out of Device Manager
8. Go to Start>Devices and Printers
9. Right click HP 1012 HB, choose Printer Properties
10. Go to the Port Tab, find Virtual USB Printing Support (Not dot4) and check that.
11. Click Ok.

Congratulations! Your printer isnâ t an agonizing experience anymore!!

NOTE: The users in my environment reported that the printer after a restart showed up uninstalled but continued to print fine, so meh. Guess it canâ t be perfect.
Occasional Visitor
Gerald Rice
Message 27 of 38 (5,185 Views)

Here is an update on how I solved my HP 1012 compatibility issue with Windows 7.

I ordered a Brother 5340D (high speed, full duplex printer) for $129 from OfficeMax. I also saw the printer offered with coupon for $119 from Costco.

Problem solved. No more HP frustrations.
Occasional Visitor
Eric Tirrell
Message 28 of 38 (5,185 Views)

My August Sirs,

Thanks for your help with my 1012, I too find it a 'favorite' piece of hardware.

The answer to many of the questions being raised so far in this thread I believe is that HP is a HARDWARE company. I have never received a piece of software from them that was of the same quality as commercial software vended by professional software companies. Most to the drivers I use for their products come from Microsoft.

Maybe those who are experienced with HP network software or business software will have had a different experience but their Home Based stuff bad. I have a Scanjet that only runs with drivers from Win-7. I have a photo printer that shows up on windows explorer as a removable disk. Why dont my other USB ports all show up as removable disks? Thats indicative of software written by a hardware company. Oh, the good news is, this photo printer works with Win-7 64bit >> because Windows found a driver for it.

Did HP even plan for a transition from XP to Windows 7?

Regards,
Eric
Occasional Visitor
Mark - Raleigh
Message 29 of 38 (5,185 Views)

hi Eric, if you think HP is such a benevolent, innocent company whose only fault is that they are focused on hardware rather than software, then why won't they publish open specifications to the hardware they make? then, independent developers could make drivers for Windows 7, Linux, etc.

Its hard to say HP is just hardware company when they also made their own operating system for servers (HP-UX).
Occasional Visitor
Will McGuire
Message 30 of 38 (5,185 Views)

At all.

I found this thread after running into similar problems. I was able to resolve it myself by just choosing the LaserJet 2200 driver built into Windows 7. After choosing the built-in driver I was able to print a number of documents and pdfs without issue. My situation may be different since my LaserJet 1012 is connected via a printer server but just FYI in case anyone else is in a similar situation.
Occasional Visitor
Ned Mast
Message 31 of 38 (4,864 Views)

Followed David's advice to change from Dot to Virtual USB and it works great in 64 bit Pro. Required a reboot.
Occasional Visitor
Hardy Hansen
Message 32 of 38 (4,864 Views)

The LaserJet 2200 driver recommended by Will McGuire solved the problem for my non-networked LaserJet 1012. Thanks for the tip.
Occasional Visitor
Hardy Hansen
Message 33 of 38 (4,864 Views)

Whoops--the printer has reverted to giving me the message "unsupported personality" (and wasting a sheet of paper doing so). Back to the drawing board. At least drawing boards don't require drivers.
Occasional Visitor
darelldd
Message 34 of 38 (4,664 Views)

I finally got it working... and slow. So I'm following David's "speed up" process, but I get hung up right here:

>>6. Choose USB Virtual Printing Support

I have no such option at this point. Actually the issue may come earlier since I have no  "1284.4 dot4usb Printing Support" in my list. Closest is "1284.4 compatible printer." So I chose that.

I then try to update driver and I go to browse for driver software... where would I find the USB virtual Printer support?

A super big thanks for all the info in this thread!

-= Darell =-
Occasional Visitor
TEREFE
Message 35 of 38 (4,272 Views)

Yes hi! I have window XP

Occasional Visitor
Karen_T
Message 36 of 38 (3,038 Views)

Thank you Walt!...I am not a computer buff by any means...but used your solution #2 to get my HP1012 printing:)! I saw a later post...about the buffer...I am not worried about that part..I think for my type of use and how mine gets turned off when i am not using it ...will be just fine....I was so relieved that I don't have to buy another printer...(yet:)).

Occasional Visitor
cjdavis7
Message 37 of 38 (90 Views)

I had to use somewhat different steps to resolve the 'slow' printing issue:

Open Devices and Printers.

Right click on the 1012 and choose Properties.

Switch to the Hardware tab, select DOT4 USB Printing support and click Properties at the bottom of the window.

Click Change Settings on the General tab.

Switch to the Driver tab then Update Driver...

Choose Browse my computer for driver software

Choose Let me pick...

With the "Show compatible hardware" checkbox selected, I had two options: DOT4 USB Printing Support and USB Printing Support.

Pick USB Printing Support, next and close.

It immediately printed a test page and stayed responsive.

Hope that helps!

Occasional Visitor
Mike_A
Message 38 of 38 (11 Views)

Hi all.

I have Win 7 Professional (64-bit) and got my HP Laserjet 1012 working fine (fast), including duplex priniting using the USB port on the back of my computer.

*** Caution: This procedure is for Windows 7 64-bit since it uses the HP 1010 series driver from Windows Vista 64-bit.

When you connect the HP Laserjet 1012, Windows tells you that a driver is missing which is correct, but I could not
understand what they meant by this. The following is what information Windows provides.

Download and install the driver for your laser printer

Your laser printer is missing a driver.
Follow these steps to solve this problem:

1. To download the driver from the Hewlett-Packard Company website, open your internet browser and enter the following url to download the driver from the HP ftp website:
     "
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL27082/lj-67501-1/lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip"

2. Download and extract the driver files.
    Tap or click Save or Save as, and then save the file to your desktop. If you can’t choose where to save the file, you’ll need to find it and copy it to your desktop. When you download files, most web browsers save them to the Downloads folder on your computer.
    To extract the contents of the compressed folder, press and hold or right-click the folder you saved to the desktop, tap or click Extract All or Extract Here, and then follow the instructions.
    Double-tap or double-click the extracted folder to view its contents.

3. Open Devices and Printers.
    Right click on the 1012 and choose Properties.
    Switch to the Hardware tab, select Generic IEEE1284.4 Printing Support (Under Device functions; Name; middle name of 3 listed) and click Properties at bottom of the window.
    Click Change Settings on the General tab and click on yes when prompted.
    Switch to the Driver tab then Update Driver...
    Choose "Browse my computer for driver software."
    Under Browse for driver software on yourcomputer and "Search for driver software in this location:"
    Click Browse to the directory on your computer that you extracted the driver files to.
    Click "Next"
    I'm a bit shakey here because I can't undo the changes to my computer, but I remember to choose:
    HP LaserJet 1012 HB
    ....Installing Printer and then the correct driver will install; connect to the proper USB port; and be ready for use.

4. Print a test page to confirm it's ready.

Many thanks to Cjdavis7 since I copied some of his directions in Step 3. :>

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.