LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers (16619 Views)
Occasional Visitor
JOHN CARNAGHIE
Message 1 of 36 (16,619 Views)

LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers

[ Edited ]

Will my "workhorse" LaserJet 1012 work under Windows 7? I know this may be a "low end" printer but I expect / hope that there would be at least a generic, basic printer driver available from HP.

P.S> This thread has been moved from Microsoft > Windows 7 to LaserJet - HP Forums moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ked Benson
Message 2 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers

I have three HP LaserJet 1012 and none of them work with Windows 7, if HP doesn't cough up a driver for this soon I will not buy another HP product again. I will also make sure none of my customers get HP products again since I install and service their devices.

I received a phone call this morning from one of my customers who can't make his 1012 work on his new COMPAQ computer running Windows 7 Home.

This is getting ridiculous the HP 1012 is a very popular model and HP is doing nothing to keep their customers happy.

If they think we are going to run to the store to get new HP printers so we can use Windows 7 they are wrong.

Change this HP or lose customers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20Las...π=0&s=hp%20laserjet%20%201012&os=32-bit
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ked Benson
Message 3 of 36 (16,619 Views)

John, I did the following:

1. Install the printer with the following drivers (please note that this works on the 32-bit version of Windows 7)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

2. The printer might not work at first, but it is ok, as long as Windows grabs the drivers into its database.

3. Go to START > Devices and Printers... Remove ALL your printers...

4. Restart your computer

5. After logging in, Windows will automatically detect and reinstall your printers, including the HP1012 using a driver called HP1012HB

HB stands for Host Based.

WORKED FOR ME.

-----

The only downside is that since it has to process the print job now it takes a lot longer to start printing but at least it's printing now.

Hope this helps you and hope to hear from you soon.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Devin Gingrich
Message 4 of 36 (16,619 Views)

When installing the printer:

1) Select the driver manually.
2) Click "Windows Update" to force Windows to refresh the driver list.
3) Select HP Lasterjet 1015.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Reg Quinton
Message 5 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Devin Gingrich's solution (try the 1015 driver) did not work on my Win 7 64bit with the laserjet 1012.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Walt Graham
Message 6 of 36 (16,619 Views)

I'm able to get my 1012 working locally on two different Windows 7 machines (32 and 64 bit) with various driver workarounds. I'm even able to access the 32-bit W7 installation through the network from an XP machine. But there seems to be no way I can access the 1012 installed on any machine over the network from a Windows 7 machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JOHN CARNAGHIE
Message 7 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Dear Grahm,
How did you get the 1012 working with the Windows 64 bit OS (I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on my machine). No network, just a direct connect (USB).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Walt Graham
Message 8 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Hi John,

The 1012 will install on my 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium machine two ways:

1. Download the LaserJet 1015 64-bit host based driver from the HP site and extract it to a folder on your hard drive. Install the 1012 and point to the folder when prompted for a driver. The printer will show up as a LaserJet 1012HB. The downside to this solution is that printing will take up to twice as long as you're used to.

2. Click "add a printer" and install a phantom LaserJet 3055 PCL5 using the Windows version of the driver (you may need to use Windows Update for that choice to show up.) Plug in the printer and it will be recognized as an "unrecognized device," but it will print as the LaserJet 3055 (you can make that the default.) The unrecognized device Icon may eventually disappear -- mind did.

The 3rd method some people have suggested -- installing a phantom 1015, then trying to install the 1012 XP driver, then deleting the 1015, then plugging in the printer -- works on my 32-bit machine but not the 64-bit.

Meanwhile, with the help of a post in another HP thread, I was able to solve the issue of printing across the network! The author wrote:

"Re: printing to HP laserjet 1012 on home network I'd say that the driver that the XP machine is using is the not the same name as the driver that is installed on the Vista machine. You will not be able to connect to the printer over RPC (Remote Procedure Calls) but you can connect using SMB (Server Messaging Blocks).

Create a local printer on the Vista machine that uses a Local Port in the form \\XPMachine\Printshare. Use the driver that was installed when you plugged the device directly to the USB port."

He was correct! This works perfectly.

I have to say I'm disappointed with HP with regard to this matter. Until now I've had a very positive impression of HP as a "green" company, based on its toner recycling and sensible packaging practices. But now HP is sending thousands of perfectly good printers into the landfill simply because the company refuses to write Windows 7 drivers for them.

I spent several hours researching this and discovered that my LaserJet 1012 printers (which are only about 3 years old) are perfectly capable of working with Windows 7, locally and on the network. I suspect that HP could write new drivers in less time than I spent fiddling with it.

I love HP printers but I believe this looks bad for the company, both in terms of customer care and sound ecological practices. And that's a shame, IMO.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lisa Schougaard
Message 9 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Would any of you guys know if this same method will work for laserjet 2840?

thanks

Lisa
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JOHN CARNAGHIE
Message 10 of 36 (16,619 Views)

Dear Grahm,
I too used to respect and appreciate HP but the current mindset there seems to be totally focused on short term goals - replace the old iron with new plastic, etc.
I went looking for the "Download the LaserJet 1015 64-bit host based driver from the HP site" and didn't find it. I did locate a couple of Vista 64 bit drivers but no indicated HB. Arg!
Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Walt Graham
Message 11 of 36 (16,337 Views)

John, the HB driver I used is here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=lj-675...

But I still think it's better to install the 1012 as a 3055. That way it prints at its normal speed.

Regards,
Walt
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mark - Raleigh
Message 12 of 36 (16,452 Views)

In case anyone from HP reads this, PLEASE make drivers available for Windows 7 for Laserjet 1012!

This is a great printer and I will never buy another HP printer again unless I can get my LJ1012 working which is still in excellent condition.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Julie Val (Win7 probs)
Message 13 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Walt,
Thank you for your well researched workaround for the 1012 using the 3055! Kudos, and thank you for sharing!

I've spent quite a bit of time looking to make this work as well. Unfortunately, I've also tried other methods, so I don't have a clean slate to try the phantom LaserJet 3055 PCL5 workaround. Though I tried uninstalling the LaserJet 1012 printer that was misidentified as a "Generic IEEE 1284.4", I still can't get it to work. I think it has a DOT4 driver associated with it currently (I think from an auto fix Win7 gave me). I added the phantom LaserJet 3055 PCL5 (using the virtual USB port), but when I plugged in my 1012 (even after I'd uninstalled it), it appeared as an unspecified device, and subtitled hp LaserJet 1012. Printing to the phantom LaserJet 3055 produces an error message. I've even tried manually downloading the PCL5 driver and have it on my C: drive.

Do you know if there's a way to force my machine to print to the LaserJet 1012 using the phantom LaserJet 3055?

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide! Also, I agree that HP really really needs to write this driver! I love my LaserJet 1012, and depend on it far more than the HP PSC 2410 printer I also use - that is compatible with Win7. Of the two, I wish the 1012 were compatible rather than the HP PSC 2410.
Thanks again,
Julie
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Julie Val (Win7 probs)
Message 14 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Walt,
Thank you for your well researched workaround for the 1012 using the 3055. Thank you for sharing.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking to make this work as well. Unfortunately, I've also tried other methods, so I don't have a clean slate to try the phantom LaserJet 3055 PCL5 workaround. Though I tried uninstalling the LaserJet 1012 printer that was misidentified as a "Generic IEEE 1284.4", I still can't get it to work. I think it has a DOT4 driver associated with it currently (I think from an auto fix Win7 gave me). I added the phantom LaserJet 3055 PCL5 (using the virtual USB port), but when I plugged in my 1012 (even after I'd uninstalled it), it appeared as an unspecified device, and subtitled hp LaserJet 1012. Printing to the phantom LaserJet 3055 produces an error message. I've even tried manually downloading the PCL5 driver and have it on my C: drive.

Do you know if there's a way to force my machine to print to the LaserJet 1012 using the phantom LaserJet 3055?

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide! Also, I agree that HP really really needs to write this driver. The LaserJet 1012 truly is a workhorse, and I depend on it far more than the HP PSC 2410 printer I also use - that is compatible with Win7. Of the two, I wish the 1012 were compatible rather than the HP PSC 2410.
Thanks again,
Julie
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mark - Raleigh
Message 15 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Julie - this might help you, I had the same problem.

After you've manually added the LaserJet 3055 PCL5, and the LJ1012 is plugged in. Right-click the 3055 printer, and click Printer Properties.

Click the Ports tab. I had originally put mine on USB001 port, but it worked after changing it to the DOT4_002 port. So, try playing around with the DOT* ports you have listed there.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Julie Val (Win7 probs)
Message 16 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Mark -
It works - it works! I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me know about the ports. And thank you for suggesting the port, DOT4 002, it's the one that worked for me as well - once I rebooted. I'd found the ports before, but didn't know what to do with them. Thank you all for keeping this a lively topic - it got me thinking that maybe I could keep my LJ1012, and now I'm very glad I can. It prints well, and quickly, without the problems I've read about using the 1015 driver.
Thank you all again.
Julie
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
smrbrts
Message 17 of 36 (16,452 Views)

HP, if you are listening, please update a driver for the LaserJet 1012 for Windows 7. I understand the hassle that maintaining drivers can be, but there are lots and lots of these printers out there and I'm spent way too may hours trying to find a work-around to get this config to work. You had this working on Vista, I can't believe it would be too difficult to get a driver certified for Windows 7 32 an 64 it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jennifer Won
Message 18 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Hi!

I tried the steps outlined above (installing 3055, etc) on my Windows 7 (64-bit). The trouble I'm running into is that when I click on "Printer Properties" there are no options for either USB or DOT ports. I just see LPT and COM.

The printer isn't working yet.

Thanks for any help!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Walt Graham
Message 19 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Just thought I'd add an update:

The 3055 workaround worked for me for awhile, but then I started getting "Unsupported Personality" error messages. After a little more digging I found that it's probably because the buffers fill up over time. Turning the printer off and back on fixes it, but it's no fun having that happen in the midst of printing a large document!

So I resorted to the phantom 1015 installation, followed by a partial install of the 1012 XP drivers from the original CD, and that's been solid for several weeks now. (We have two 1012 printers, one on my W7 machine and one on my wife's.)

The only remaining problem is printing to either printer over the network from another Windows 7 machine. (I can print fine from any XP machine.) For some reason the trick of installing a networked printer as a local printer with the network path works with the 3055 driver but not with the 1015/1012 workaround. I CAN use the 1012HB driver, but printing takes MUCH longer that way.

Again, I'll add my voice to those calling for HP to release Windows 7 drivers for this great little printer. Since it works so well with the 1015/1012 workaround, I'll bet writing official W7 drivers wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I suspect it's not that HP CAN'T release them, it's that they WON'T release them. And that's a poor reflection on the company, IMHO.

How about it HP? New Year -- new attitude? :-)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 20 of 36 (16,452 Views)

Pls see my comments in:
Printers, Scanners etc. - Drivers
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?

Rainald
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Walt Graham
Message 21 of 36 (16,544 Views)

Hi Rainald, the link above is incomplete but I found your post here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1397762.

In the post, you say, "Anyway: It really needs *joint*efforts* to get the problems on the side of HP sorted!!!"

The problem here is that HP has flatly stated that there will be no solution for using the LaserJet 1012 with Windows 7. It's a "Category 6" -- (your LaserJet model is not supported in Windows 7.) If it were a "Category 5" -- (HP is currently working on a software solution for your product for Windows 7 that should be available soon. Please check back for updates,) that would show that HP has a little love for all its customers.

When someone refuses to help, there IS no "joint effort." The only solution is to find a workaround or move on.

I recently retired a 10 year old sound card because driver support ended with XP. However, the manufacturer posted a detailed, logical explanation of why it would not be practical to write Vista or Windows 7 drivers for the card. HP has offered no such explanation and, as others have pointed out, if the printer works with Vista, Windows 7 shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gerald Rice
Message 22 of 36 (16,544 Views)

HP - I hope you are listening. And, I would like to recommend a book for all the executive managers and marketing personnel at HP. It is "Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies". Look it up. Read it. Think about it.

I own a LaserJet 1012, and just upgraded 2 machines on my home network to Windows 7. I am more than a little disappointed in your lack of support for the drivers. I am disappointed in the amount of time I had to spend trying to come up with a work-around as a result of your lack of support.

If I have to buy another LaserJet for Windows 7, do you think it's going to be a HP? Do you think this is going to affect my brand loyalty when it comes to purchasing a new desktop machine, laptop, camera, etc.? Absolutely! Do you think I will take every opportunity to share my frustration on every possible on-line media? Absolutely.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 23 of 36 (16,544 Views)

Gerald,
|| HP - I hope you are listening. And, I would like to recommend a book for all
|| the executive managers and marketing personnel at HP.

I think that the answer is:
NO, HP won't hear you.
This is a peer-to-peer forum where volunteers try to help other fellow users.

And sad as it is, HP does not use the forums as a source of information on custumers' troubles {siiiiigh}.

Rainald

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Travis Johnson
Message 24 of 36 (16,544 Views)

Hey All,

Here's *my* workaround for printing to my LJ 1012 from Windows 7.

Long story short, it is no longer connected to my machine directly, but rather through a home server. Even though, I believe this should work for you as well.

I tried Vista/XP drivers, host based and normal. I tried 1010, 1012 and 1015. Nothing worked. I ran across this website (http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html) and tried his suggestion of using a generic driver. Just add the printer like you normally would and choose "Generic" for the manufacturer and then use "MS Publisher Imagesetter" for the printer.

Once I set that up, I had no problems printing. I don't know if 100% of the printer options are available, but I *do* know that it prints :)

Hopefully this helps someone.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
skylion
Message 25 of 36 (16,544 Views)

Oh my my !!!
I just made it work also. I just got Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1012 (love this one ... it's my work horse) would not work.
This is how I made it work.
Install it at a "HP 1015" in Windows. You will see that it does not print.
After it has been installed .... go to your ---> Devices and Printers. Right Click on "HP LaserJet 1015" ---> Click on "Printer Properties ---> Choose the "Ports" Tab. From the list of Ports .... Choose "Dot4_001" with the Description: Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support.
Then click on "Apply"
Then Choose the Tab "General" in the same window ... and Click on "Print Test Page".

Wooooooo Hoooooo

Just say a prayer for me !!!
:)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation