LaserJet 1012 - Unsupported Personality: PCL error (50252 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Alanna
Message 1 of 9 (50,252 Views)

LaserJet 1012 - Unsupported Personality: PCL error

I downloaded the drivers and set-up the printer following the instructions and then started printing merrily and it worked for a few pages, but then every time I tried to print after that all I get is the message "unsupported personality: PCL" in the upper left hand corner of the page. I tried installing the driver again and uninstalling the printer and re-installing it but get the same error message. How do I fix this?

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Venkatt...
Message 2 of 9 (50,216 Views)

Re: LaserJet 1012 - Unsupported Personality: PCL error

Hi

For starters, remove any printjob that's still in the queue, and then any that's there in background, like this:
- turn the printer off, or remove all paper.
- Start, Printers and Faxes
- File, Server properties, /Advanced\
- Note the directory 'Spool folder'
- using the Explorer, go to te spool folder and kill ANY file in that folder.
- reboot your machine

Now, look at your printer definition: what driver do you use for the HP1012? AFAIK, the 1012 is host-based only, i.e. that the PC does it all. So, it's not PCL-5 compatible.

Here's the URL for the driver: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=306510&lang=en&cc=be&...

- Remove the printer from your printer definitions, and disconnect it.
- add the driver to your system
- connect the printer to your system via USB
- allow some time for autodetect, and install the printer. If this doesn't work, reboot and wait for autodetect.

Success,

Regards,
Venkat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BamaBSC
Message 3 of 9 (49,722 Views)

Tried this and was not able to get teh driver file extracted with any "install" file.  Only cab files.  Must be doing something wrong?  Vista 64 system. 

How can I get the driver file to install so it can load for my printer?

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Moderator
affableLJ
Message 4 of 9 (49,716 Views)

Take a look at the documenst listed below.

'Unsupported Personality: PCL' Error Page Prints

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895812&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

A Page Prints with the Error Unsupported Personality: PCL

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00063454&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Hope they help resolve your problem.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Savvy95
Message 5 of 9 (46,082 Views)

My solution was to simply use a different set of drivers. I used the 1200 PCL drivers.

I went to the properties of the printer, clicked on the Advanced button and pressed the New Driver button.  Then I chose HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL.

Now I can print PDF's.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
quelermo
Message 6 of 9 (38,192 Views)

Interesting that I had the same problem.   I connected the Laserjet 1012 to the Dot4 port of my Win 7 system and was able to print flawlessly for nearly a week.   Then one morning when I was in a hurry to print a couple of PDF pages, I got the Unsupported print problem.   My solution was simple.   I turned off the printer for a couple of minutes and turned it on again and it started printing as before with no problems.   Don't know how long it will work but if it happens again, I'll go through the same simple procedure.   Hopefully it will continue to work.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bullvyne
Message 7 of 9 (17,039 Views)

I had the same issue using WIN7 and a 1320 HP Laserjet which is pretty close to the same driver type.

To resolve I went in to check the driver type and it was set up with a Dot4 driver and HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA) driver.

Switched the driver to HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL 5 and power cycled the printer.

It is printing fine now. Time will tell if we start getting the Unsupported Personality errors again but I am fairly confident the problem is resolved.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
techstone1
Message 8 of 9 (13,462 Views)

This post may be old, but here is how I solved the problem. I was trying to install the printer on a windows 7 computer. This computer was a 64 bit windows 7 corp laptop As you know there are no native windows 7 drivers.. I had used a technique which was seen on youtube. It worked wonderfully however, the user could not print reports using that driver. I then uninstalled the HP 1020 from her computer and restarted it. I then used the windows xp x64 bit drivers, and it solved the problem.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
53groucho
Message 9 of 9 (9,455 Views)

Just had this problem crop up, windows 7 HP laserjet 1012.

used the laserjet 1200 driver as suggested - printing away!

thanks for the suggestion.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation