Hp3330 laserjet printer problems (1470 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Gordon Everest
Message 1 of 9 (1,470 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hp3330 laserjet printer problems

Sometimes I get a message on the printer saying “scanner error, power down and restart.” Seems to be only when I am scanning and making a copy, not when I am printing from my computer. Further, seems to be only when I am trying to make multiple copies. If I make copies one at a time I don’t get this error.
When this happens (and at other times), I get a popup error message on my computer saying “unable to communicate with device ”. Printer may indicate “ready” but when I try to print, it just goes into the print queue with a note on the job saying “error printing.” Then it prints everything in the queue next time I reboot/restart my computer. It does not help my computer connection to the printer to simply restart my computer. I must power down and restart the printer first, and then restart my computer.
Also, when I do restart my printer, it seems to have trouble, repeatedly making a sound like grinding plastic gears, trying several times, then clicking around, then trying again several times, until it finally gets to a ready state.
Restarting my computer is a slow process I would like to avoid if possible. After I have reset and restarted the printer, is there some way I can tell the computer (hp print director or some other hp software) to try again the make a connection with the printer, rather than going through the last resort of rebooting?
Or is this a problem with my printer which requires taking it to a repair shop to be checked by a service technician?
Occasional Visitor
dan fagan
Message 2 of 9 (1,470 Views)

Re: Hp3330 laserjet printer problems

I have the exact same problem with my 3330. I have not been able to come up with a fix. Not sure it would be worth the expense to take to a service technician.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 9 (1,470 Views)

There may be any easy fix to your problem. It could be that the mirror on the scanner is dirty and the scanner is failing calibration. To fix, turn off the power and raise the adf cover up. On the left side will be a small strip of glass covered by a piece of plastic held by one screw. Remove the screw and remove the plastic cover and then remove the glass. Now at the back of the opening is the belt that drives the scanner. Use a needle nose pliers to move the belt a little at a time until the scanner is almost over the opening and then use you fingernail to move it the rest of the way over. Look down and you will see the mirror and even though it may look clean it probably has a light film over it. Use a dry qtip to clean it a couple of times. When done move the scanner to the right by hand first and then use the belt to move it back to the right side. Put the glass back on and then the cover and see what happens. If it works you are back in business and if not try it one more time. Works about 95% of the time. Good Luck.
Occasional Visitor
dan fagan
Message 4 of 9 (1,470 Views)

I guess I am one of the 5% unlucky ones. I have cleaned the mirror, I think. I cleaned a mirror down below the bulb on the right side of the bulb. Does that sound correct. I am still getting the scanner bulb warming up message and then it goes to scanner error power on power off message. I have cleaned the mirror several times. One time I did get it to a ready status but it then failed when I tried to scan something. I has now failed several times since then. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 9 (1,470 Views)

Well then you may have to do a bit of disassembly to get it working right. The fact that it works sometimes tells us the bulb is good and you have dirt on the mirrors. There is more than one so you will have to go in a bit deeper. Should take you about 1.5 hours.

The following instructions detail how to open the printer and clean the mirrors (required when you start getting that clicking/grinding noise).

BE CAREFUL TO REPLACE MIRRORS IN THE CORRECT POSITION - THE PRINTER WILL NOT WORK IF THE MIRRORS ARE BACKWARDS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HP LaserJet 3330 Scanner Unit Disassembly Procedure

This is not an Hewlett Packard document, the author does not work for Hewlett Packard and is not responsible for any damage you do to your printer. This procedure is for skilled repair technicians and is not recommended without some knowledge of equipment repair. Proceed at your own risk.

1. Open the document feeder and pull up on the two black tabs on the left and right.
2. Pull up on the right part of the doc feeder then the left, remove doc feeder, set aside.
3. Open front door and rear fuser door.
4. Remove screws closest to teal colored fuser release levers. (side cover screws)
5. Pull right cover out from back while releasing clip on bottom of cover, pull cover towards the back and remove.
6. Push on indentation at back of left cover and pull out at back, this cover is hinged.
7. Remove four screws now visible at base of scanner assy., two on left two on right.
8. Slide covers towards back and remove.
9. Remove two screws in the back just above the fuser and just below the scanner assy. base. Remove two screws in the front, visible now after removing the scanner assy. base covers on the right and left (the left one is just behind the hinged cover near the top hinge.)
10. Remove flat ribbon cable (on left side) at either connection point to disconnect scanner assy. from print engine.
11. Entire scanner assembly can now be slid forward and removed.
12. Close the front, rear and left side doors on the print engine portion and set it aside.
13. Grab front panel face plate at top and pull forward and remove. (or pry gently at top of face plate).
14. At top of exposed front panel you will see four slots in the scanner assy. At the third one from the left there is a latch (dark grey plastic). Push down on the latch with a screwdriver and slide the whole panel assy. to the right. Lift up and out making sure to disconnect the cable.
15. Remove the three screws in the now exposed dark grey front panel cradle and cover, remove the two cables connecting the cover to the main board, pry gently at the top outer corners of the cover and pull it forward and down, remove the cover.
16. Now remove the four scanner assy. screws (one and the center front, center back, center right, center left) all are facing down under the assy. (Or just flip it upside down and remove the four visible screws.
17. Turn the unit back upright and remove the four screws at the back/top (two of them are down inside where the doc feeder normally goes.) Remove the top scanner cover.
18. DANGER your about to work on the scanner carriage itself there is a really good chance that you could break it or the mirrors or bulb so proceed at your own risk.
19. At the top and bottom left side of the black cover enclosing the mirrors are two slots, if you put a small screwdriver in the slots and push gently to the right and lift that side of the cover it should come loose. Then open it to the right and remove it from the right slots.
20. Remove the black screw at the front of the assy., Disconnect the white wires from the CCD board and out of the harness, lift the clear plastic bulb holder out with the bulb then remove it from the rear. (itâ s a tight fit at the front.)
21. The top mirror is held in by some really tight clips they have to be removed from the bottom right (clean the mirrors without this step if possible). NOTE: optical mirrors are not like a bathroom mirror, there is no glass covering the reflective surface. The back side of the mirror has glass covering it so if you get it in backwards it wonâ t work. (The way to tell which side you have is touch your screwdriver to the mirror and if itâ s the right side the screwdriver will appear to touch the reflection of the screwdriver, if itâ s the wrong side the screwdriver will not touch the reflection of the screwdriver because of the glass covering the reflective surface.
22. Now clean the remaining mirrors and lens very thoroughly with alcohol. Make sure they are very clean. You can put the top mirror back and clean it in place to make cleaning it easier.
23. When re-assembling the top cover check to make sure the white strip on the right side is clean.
24. Reverse procedure for re-assembly.
Occasional Visitor
dan fagan
Message 6 of 9 (1,470 Views)

Thanks, I think!!
Occasional Contributor
Gordon Everest
Message 7 of 9 (1,470 Views)

Thanks David, although it is too late for me to try. I called multiple HP service centers. They all seemed to say that the scanner was failing and needed to be replaced. I waited several days for a response to my posting. Since I was not able to wait any longer I took it to a service center. They told me I needed a new scanner, in fact, it has two scanners. I just picked it up Friday. Cost for the scanners was $160 plus $110 for labor. I haven't yet tried to use it but they did say it was working OK. It would have been nice to try your procedure. I tend to be pretty good and that sort of thing. Anyway, hope I can get another 6 years of service. It is a great piece of equipment. I trust your response will be useful information to others in the future with a similar problem. Too bad nothing helpful was posted (that I found) when I initially went to look at the HP support forum.
PS.
Occasional Contributor
Gordon Everest
Message 8 of 9 (1,470 Views)

David, thanks for the suggestion to clean the mirror, and the detail if something more is required. Well, I got my printer back from repair. They replaced the scanner assembly. Got it home and when I plugged in the printer, it made a sound like it was trying to "engage". This time it did not include a sound like grinding or slipping plastic cog wheels. After about 1/2 minute it finally stopped, and got to the ready state. I was then able to copy and print using the scanner. Printing from the computer was also OK as indicated by printing a test page. Then I unplugged the printer to move it. When I plugged it in again, the sound continued as before, except this time it never ended. I never got a "scanner error". After several minutes, I finally pulled the plug. While it was on, I recorded the sound it made, for about 1 minute. (see attached .wav file). Listen toward the end of the recording where the sound is louder. I opened the ADF cover and moved the recorder closer to the area on top.
---> My question is this, for DavidZuts. Is this the sound of the printer trying to calibrate? or is it symptomatic of a different problem? If the problem stems from a dirty mirror, is it likely that the scanner would not have needed to be replaced at all, just the mirror cleaned? I guess I might try cleaning before I attempt to lug it back to the repair company.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 9 of 9 (1,470 Views)

Gordon there is no attached wav file but does not matter. The fact that they said they replaced the scanner means you need to return it for repair since you spent good money and they need to do it right. As to the 2 scanners, they may have misinformed you or just took advantage. Yes there are two scanners, but one has nothing to do with the other. The scanner on the top is the one that gives the error. The other is the laser/scanner which is responsible for writing the image to the drum of the toner cartridge and is only used when the unit is printing either as print job from the computer or the printing of the image having been scanned by the scanning unit on the printer or upon receipt of a fax.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.