Hp 2550 Carousel Problems. (1129 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Keith Mayhugh
Message 1 of 8 (1,129 Views)

Hp 2550 Carousel Problems.

My Hp 2550 carousel stops on the yellow cart and won't move. The light was on saying the cart. was bad. I installed a new HP Q3962A yellow cart. I still have the problem. I got it to print a black only test page. It will not print in color. Now the carousel is stuck on the yellow cart, and all 8 lights are blinking in sequence from the bottom to top. Has anoyone seen this problem before?
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Zsolt Kulcsar
Message 2 of 8 (1,129 Views)

Re: Hp 2550 Carousel Problems.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 3 of 8 (1,129 Views)

Keith,
Open the top cover and observe the blue arrowheads at each end of the toner cartridge. Do they appear to be centered in the cover tracks above, lined up with the cover arrows? If not, the carousel is out of index, requiring removing covers and reindexing the carousel. If the arrows line up, let's see if the carousel indexes on startup. With the upper cover raised, trip the cover switch directly below the left hinge (a small metal switch arm). Push against the switch arm. Better yet, stick something in there to keep the switch arm tripped. Make sure nothing like fingers, hair, tie, or anything else dangles into the carousel. Plug the power to the printer and turn it on and see if the carousel rotates multiple times without restriction during warmup. If not, get back to us with your observations.
Don
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Keith Mayhugh
Message 4 of 8 (1,129 Views)

Don,
The Carousel is indexing properly. The blue arrows line up perfectly. Now the yellow cart is back on top and will not move. The Yellow cart light is blinking.
Someone suggested maybe the E label sensor is failing? Would that cause this problem?
Thanks to all who responded to my question.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Keith Mayhugh
Message 5 of 8 (1,129 Views)

The Attention light, Ready and Go lights are all on steady. they are not blinking.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Woody_9
Message 6 of 8 (1,129 Views)

With the printer in the condition where the three lights at the bottom are all on, press the "Go" button and hold it down--what is the light combination now (on, off, blinking) for these three lights. This is the secondary code that will hopefully provide a better clue as to what state/problem the printer sees.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Keith Mayhugh
Message 7 of 8 (1,129 Views)

when I hold the Go button the Go light went out and the attention light and ready light stay on and they are not blinking.

Thanks again. I need to fix this if I can.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Woody_9
Message 8 of 8 (1,129 Views)

Attention + ready lights on = carousel motor error. Only advice the service manual gives is replacement if turning the printer off, then on again doesn't resolve the problem. Whether that is 100% true or not I'm not in a position to say. It would seem the drive electronics or a position sensor could also be in the equation. As far as I can tell from the offerings at Parts Now and Laser Pros, the motor is only available as an assembly with second motor (much like the 4500 series) at around $100, if in stock. Are you prepared to do the work--reindexing the carousel and all the other things that go into a major teardown? If not, I'd say you'd be money ahead finding another used 2550 to use up your consumables and then decide whether to continue using it or move to something else. Unless still under warranty, with labor and parts, only you can decide if keeping the machine is cost effective.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation