How to get PCL 3 of 9 bar code fonts on a HP 4250 DTN (1270 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy DeBattista
Message 1 of 7 (1,270 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to get PCL 3 of 9 bar code fonts on a HP 4250 DTN

How would I get PCL 3 of 9 barcode fonts on a HP 4250 DTN?

Would I need HP WebJetAdmin and then we have to push the font out to the printer or something similar??

Thanks in advanced for the help!!
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 2 of 7 (1,270 Views)

Re: How to get PCL 3 of 9 bar code fonts on a HP 4250 DTN

I think you have two options:

1). Get an optional HD and use it to store fonts.
2). Get a Flash DIMM that could be used to store the Font or get a Special Font DIMM.

These are the two ways I'm aware of. Gangs?

D.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 3 of 7 (1,270 Views)

... or obtain a suitable downloadable soft font, and download this to the device each time the device is powered on (and perhaps more frequently if other print jobs 'delete' soft fonts).

There are a number of different formats for such fonts; you need to decide:

(a) Which Page Description Language (PDL) is going to be used? PCL5, PCL6 or PS?

(b) Bitmap or Scalable font?

For PCL6 there is only one format of each (but you may have difficulty finding a provider of such fonts).

Not sure about PostScript.

For PCL5, there are several different bitmap formats, and three different scalable formats:
PCLEO: PCL Encapsulated Intellifont Outline - not necessarily supported on newer devices.
PCLETTO: PCL Encapsulated TrueType Outline - either format 15 or format 16 (the latter caters for large fonts).

All of the above assumes that you are in control of the contents of the print stream to be sent to the printer, so that you can 'select' the font appropriately.

If not, and you are using an application like Word, and are using a standard printer driver, then provided that you have the required font as a TrueType font on the PC, the application/driver will dynamically create and download a PCL-encapsulated font, from the donor .ttf, within each print job.
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy DeBattista
Message 4 of 7 (1,270 Views)

or obtain a suitable downloadable soft font, and download this to the device each time the device is powered on (and perhaps more frequently if other print jobs 'delete' soft fonts)

A couple questions:

i) What would I use to download the font
ii) Where would I be able to get the font? (Did a quick google search but am I looking for a .ttf file)
iii) How would I download the soft font to the device each time it is powered on? (I'm assuming some sort of script)

Thanks!
J

Thanks ;)
Respected Contributor
Jan Vanden Bossche
Message 5 of 7 (1,270 Views)

1) What would I use to download the font

Your browser ?

2) Where would I be able to get the font? (Did a quick google search but am I looking for a .ttf file)

look for 'free 3 of 9' an you'll end up with http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/
Matthew Welch

3) How would I download the soft font to the device each time it is powered on? (I'm assuming some sort of script)

set your printer to "download as softfont" in printing preferences, advanced

Installing the font is as simple as copying it to the directory C:\Windows\fonts.

Success
Jan

(evaluation points appreciated)
Life, the Universe and Everything : 42
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy DeBattista
Message 6 of 7 (1,270 Views)

The problem is it has to be resident on the printer. I have called HP but they do not have a flash DIMM or an optional HD.

Suggestions?
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 7 of 7 (1,270 Views)

>> i) What would I use to download the font

Assuming that you have obtained a suitable bitmap or PCLEO or PCLETTO format soft font, how this file can be downloaded to the device depends on how the device is connected.

For parallel-port connection, use the 'copy' command with the '/b' switch.

For TCP/IP-connected device, use the 'lpr' command.

Note that the file needs to be 'topped and tailed' with certain PCL escape sequences which set a font identifier (so that the font can be selected later) and mark the font as 'permanent' (permanent in this sense being until the printer is powered-off, or until a sequence is received which causes such permanent fonts to be deleted from memory).

>> ii) Where would I be able to get the font? (Did a quick google search but am I looking for a .ttf file)

Many (but not all) font vendors will supply fonts in PCL format as well as the TTF format you need for screen display.
These fonts may well come with the afore-mentioned ID sequence already present at the start of the file.

>> iii) How would I download the soft font to the device each time it is powered on? (I'm assuming some sort of script)

See (i); perhaps place these commands in a batch file which is executed via StartUp folder.

But as you will have to effectively write your own printer driver in order to do the relevant font selections at appropriate points in each page, you could just do the download as the first part (initialisation) of each print request.

This is effectively what Word, etc., do when they want to use a font which the driver tells the application is not printer-resident), except for the complication that Word+driver dynamically generates the download from (a subset of) the donor TrueType font.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.