How to configure LaserJet 4MV IP-address? (1079 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jaakko Niemelä
Message 1 of 5 (1,079 Views)

How to configure LaserJet 4MV IP-address?

I have lost my manual and need to configure LaserJet 4MV to IP-network. Please, help if you can.
Honored Contributor
CA835871
Message 2 of 5 (1,079 Views)

Re: How to configure LaserJet 4MV IP-address?

If you do a test page, you can see what IP it currently has. If it???s on the same subnet, you telnet to it and change it, if not, you could use a roll over cable and plug a computer directly into it, put the PC on the same subnet and telnet to the printer. Or, use the front panel to set the IP information.
Occasional Advisor
CA738641
Message 3 of 5 (1,079 Views)

Take the printer off line by pressing the "ONLINE" button, light should be off.

Press "Menu" button several times, until you get to MIO MENU.

Press "Item" Button until you get to TCP/IP=___ It should be "TCP/IP=ON*" If it is not = "ON", then press + button.
Then press the "Enter" button.

It should now show "TCP/IP=ON*"
Then press the "Item" button until you get to "CFG TCP/IP=NO*"

Press the "+" button.
Press the "Enter" button.
Press the "Item" button.

The next screen will show either "BOOTP=YES*" or "BOOTP=NO*"

If it is set to "YES" it will try to get an IP address from a DHCP/BootP server. If you want to assign a static IP, keep reading.

If BOOTP=YES*", change it to NO by pressing "+"
Press "Enter"
then press "Item" this should take you to the first part of the IP you are going to assign. Press the "+" button to increment the number, or "Shift" & "+" do decrement the number. When you get the number you want, press "Enter" then press "Item" and do the same for the second number of your IP. You will do this 4 times.
Then you will have to do the same procedure for the subnet mask, and the default gateway.

Good Luck.
Occasional Advisor
CA738641
Message 4 of 5 (1,079 Views)

Oh, I forgot to tell you, there might be another way.

I'm thinking that HPs JetDirect Admin program will allow you to scan for printers by ethernet address, and then configure the IP. Maybe it doesn't i'm not sure.
Honored Contributor
CA835871
Message 5 of 5 (1,079 Views)

It can also discover them via IPX. The Ethernet address is only used for local communication. If you are on one subnet and the printer is on another, scanning for the MAC won???t do anything.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.