How do I Connect an HP Laserjet 4550 to a mac MACBOOK (350 Views)
Occasional Contributor
DATY
Message 1 of 5 (350 Views)

How do I Connect an HP Laserjet 4550 to a mac MACBOOK

Does anyone know the best way to connect my HP laserjet 4550 color printer to a macbook. I do not have a parallel port just usb, but the parallel to USB adaptor seems not to be designed for a mac. Any help appreciated
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 5 (350 Views)

Re: How do I Connect an HP Laserjet 4550 to a mac MACBOOK

I am not a MAC person, but I think the best method would be to obtain a jetdirect eio internal card for the printer and connect it via ethernet. With this printer you can use the 600N 610N or 620N. I would not use the 615N due to problem with the card. 600N cards are dirt cheap on ebay, just make sure it is ethernet and not tokenring.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
DATY
Message 3 of 5 (350 Views)

How do I connect this, do I have to open the unit up? I'm not that savvy. Is there a wireless option to use a few computers or an easier way?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 4 of 5 (350 Views)

In the Back of the printer, you will see two EIO slots at the left hand side (Looking from the back). Look and see if it has an JEtDirect Card in it already or not. You will see a card installed if it is there. Otherwise, you will see two piece of metal covering the slots.

If one isn't installed, you will just need to remove the metal cover from either one of the EIO slot. Slide the JetDirect Card in. Set the IP address on the printer for your Network (Assuming that you have a home based Router, something like Linsys, or Netgear, or Belkin). Connect the printer directly into one of the Port on the Router. Then you coudl set up every computer in your place (Mac or Windows computers) to print to the printer through the IP address. Adding the printer to teh Mac or Windows PC using the proper procedure.

D.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
DATY
Message 5 of 5 (350 Views)

Ok, I've decided I am going to go the Wireless route, I want to hook up my macbook and a pc. I see the 2 slots in the back, no cards added yet. That being said, what is the exact Jetdirect card I should get. I also do not have any wireless router other than for internet, so what is the best wireless router I should purchase?

And I also want to THANK you so much for all your help!!!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation