How can I disable Printer Status notification Pop-Ups? (18201 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mat_Jbl
Message 1 of 4 (18,201 Views)

How can I disable Printer Status notification Pop-Ups?

[ Edited ]

Hello Everybody,

HPs "Printer Status notification Pop-Ups" are driving me mad. I want to disable them. How can I do this?

I found & tried to follow this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01841764&prodT...

I can set the "Printer status Notification" Option (see the linked support document, Figure 1) to "Disabled" on the server, but when I open the properties window again, it has reverted back to "Enabled".

I searched for the registry keys mentioned in the support Document, but they seem to exist neither on the client nor on the server.

Short summary of my environment: Win Srv 2008 R2 has the printers installed, HP Universal Printing PCL 5 Version 5.2.6. Clients are Win 7, users working with no administrative rights. Printers are various HP Laserjets, e.g. CP3525, LJ 3390 and others.

Thanks for your advice.

Valued Contributor
David Fetherston
Message 2 of 4 (18,191 Views)

Re: How can I disable Printer Status notification Pop-Ups?

I know its a silly question, but did you have admin rights turned on when you set it to disabled. I am not speaking from experience in this issue, but you may want to add the key that is missing as a test to see what happens and then remove it if it is not successful. I normally do not recommend toying with the registry, but you are obviously an admin and know to back it up before making any changes, etc.

I have found at the user level, they can click (right click) and change the settings on notifications if they have rights. One thing you may want to try is change that setting on one, check the differences in registry, and then push it out to your users. There are freeware tools available to show you what has changed if you are not already aware of them.

Hope this helps,

Dave

"Ask and you shall receive; ask not, well, you know the drill."
Occasional Visitor
Mat_Jbl
Message 3 of 4 (18,055 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Fetherston, thank you for your answer and sorry for the long delay - I had other things to attend to than this pesky but not-that-critical problem.

Naturally, my users are not working with admin rights. I'll investigate as you recommended and come back with the findings.

Occasional Visitor
zamba
Message 4 of 4 (7,514 Views)

REGEDIT ->

HKEY CURRENT USER->

SOFTWARE->

HEWLETT-PACKARD->

TM->

DISCREET->

SET THE KEYS AS BELOW:

SUPPLYENABLED = 0

SUPPLYLOCKEDBYADMIN = 1

Have your users log-off of windows and back in.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.