How can I connect my HP laserJet 4 to Mac? (1283 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 1 of 25 (1,283 Views)

How can I connect my HP laserJet 4 to Mac?

I am trying to connect my HP LaserJet 4 to my Mac. I am using a cable with parallel to USB. The printer has 6 megs of memory and has the postscript option. I tried using the CUPS driver and it did not work. It prints a test page from their website. When I try to print from my Mac the computer does not recognize it. I have probably read 30 pages of advice and I do not know what to do. The Mac support tried but they also led me to the CUPS driver and had the same results. I would appreciate any help you can give. I just switched to a Mac. I do not want to get rid of this printer. I bought it new in 93 and it still works as good.
Regular Advisor
Nicholas Ragusano
Message 2 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Re: How can I connect my HP laserJet 4 to Mac?

HP has a driver for Mac OS X. If you have not downloaded it and tried it, do so. Also, to eliminate cable problems, see borrow a cable from someone that you know works.

As for the HP driver, it is available from the HP website. I just checked and it was there.
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 3 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Lenee...If you still are unable, your profile doesn't say but it helps to know what Mac and OS you have, so come back. I'll provide procedures which work with my G5 Macs with OS 10.4.11 and OS 10.5.4. Jim.
Old man Mac Addict
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 4 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Thanks for the quick responses. Sorry I didn't give this info. immediately. I forgot. I have OS X Leopard.
I have downloaded the HP Driver. It didn't make a difference.
I don't know anyone with this type of cable (at the moment). I am out of the loop right now. I will probably order another one just in case.
I read on one forum about a ethernet-to-LocalTalk adapter. Are either one of you familiar with this? Would it work? The forum mentions buying it from Asante or Proxim (formerly Farallon). I personally don' know anything about this. This is unfamiliar territory for me. I have been a PC user for 25 years. Now I am trying to figure out my way around the Mac. I am glad I switched.
Thanks again!
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 5 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Lenee...You say Mac Support. Was that HP/Mac support at LaserJetMac.Support@hp.com? They're the best that I rely on for my HP LJs. Leopard has given them fits but believe they are now able to respond. If not, and one of the PC gurus in this forum can't help, advise and I'll provide drills I use that work with Leopard. What Mac did you switch to? Jim.
Old man Mac Addict
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 6 of 25 (1,283 Views)

The mac Support I originally spoke to was Apple Care Support that I bought with my Mac. I purchased the iMac. I sent an email to the address you mentioned but have not heard back from anyone as of yet, but it has only been two days. I was wondering if it was Leopard. I have had little bugs here and there to work out. I always install all updates sent to me. I appreciate all your help. Like I said I love this printer. Can you believe I spent $3,000.00 for it new in '93! Yikes!

Lenée
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 7 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Just for clarification you've been spelling my name right. I found out the hard way that this program doesn't interpret acute accent marks.
I'll looks right when typed but when it posts it it's wrong.
I'll try again. Lenée
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 8 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Lenee Meek..;Give HP/Mac support a few days. I'd forget Apple Care support for now. If still no joy, come back. Meanwhile try a custom install with your Leopard CD installing HP drivers. That worked for me but it didn't for others in this forum.

Next, do a direct connect from the printer to your Mac, then boot your printer, go to your HD Applications>Utilities>Printer Setup Utility>the panel should display your HP LJ 4. Hopefully you should be able to add the printer if the panel is blank. If you can't come back. Jim.
Old man Mac Addict
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 9 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Lenee...My previous post was misleading re setting up your printer with Apps/Printer set up utility which Leopard doesn't have.

If you haven't done so, go to Systems Preferences>Print Fax with printer on. If the LJ 4 is not displayed, hit the plus (+). Hit the question mark (?) for further info and instructions. Jim.
Old man Mac Addict
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 10 of 25 (1,283 Views)

Lenee...Sorry but got carried away and overlooked your original question.

I've been Mac from day one for 35 years. My Macs have various ports like USB, Serial and Ethernet. All are networked with my three HP LJs that have have Ethernet ports but no USB.

There's got to be a work-around for your LJ 4 with USB port. If it had an Ethernet port, no problem.

Unfortunately I only speak Mac and Ethernet but know nothing re USB ports except connecting USB periphials to my Macs. So it's beyond my pay grade to solve your problem. Good Luck! JIm.
Old man Mac Addict
Valued Contributor
Jim Keel
Message 11 of 25 (1,413 Views)

Lenee...One last stab at this dead horse. I don't do imac but that shouldn't matter. Checked the current listing of HP drivers for LJs and the Mac and the LJ 4 isn't there.

Would be nice if a forum guru like David Zuts et al would advise to forget the LJ 4 to make it compatible for Leopard or provide a solution. My limited experience says there is no solution.

One thing I forgot to mention. If you try a custom install with the Leopard CD which came with the imac and select HP drivers, do an uninstall first for any HP drivers on the imac. Immaterial as with no current HP/Leopard driver for the LJ4 I don't think there is a solution for your problem.

Bid a fond farewell to the LJ 4 for use with your imac and upgrade to a compatible with OS 10.5.x (Leopard) HP LJ printer. Wide selection of compatible HP LJs are available at a very reasonable affordable price. Jim.
Old man Mac Addict
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 12 of 25 (1,413 Views)

Jim,
The one thing that the Apple support did help me with was to get the HPLJ4 to the printers list. Then we added the CUPS driver. This was also confirmed from some other forums I found.
I am going to send LaserJetMac.Support some more info. and see if that helps. I'm not ready to give up on the HPLJ4 as of yet. I have been told by others that they have done it. I have another printer to use in the mean time.
I appreciate all the time and effort you have given to me. Thanks again.
Lenee
Occasional Visitor
Michael Grofsorean
Message 13 of 25 (1,413 Views)

Most of this stuff is over my head, but my situation is nearly identical to Lenee's. I just switched to Mac (Mac Mini with OS X 10.5.6) and want to continue using my HP Laserjet 4 plus. I've downloaded Gutenberg printer drivers, am using a StarTech USB to Parallel adapter cable, added 4MB of memory to the printer. I can get it to print, but photographs look grainy compared to printing from a PC. Further, I have to unplug and plug the USB cable to get the job to print. The printer shows a message "W2 Invalid Pers." I've tried to research this, but don't follow the lingo.

Thanks for reading,

Michael
Occasional Visitor
björn sörensen
Message 14 of 25 (1,413 Views)

michael,

i have exactly the same problem: mac mini with leopard 10.5.6, a usb-parallel adapter (prolific technology chip) and a HP laserjet 4 plus. i get the W2 invalid personality message with the 2013.111 driver. when i use gutenprint, it prints excatly one job and then gets stuck wih every following job. i tried the foomatic/hpijs driver, wich prints several jobs, but also gets stuck from time to time, e.g. if i turn on the printer after i turn on my mac.

If you have a solution please let me know.

thanks, björn
Occasional Advisor
Harvey millmnan
Message 15 of 25 (1,413 Views)

My situation is similar to others here. I have an LJ4 with the PostScript cartridge and a Mac pro with OS X (10.5.6). I tried a Centronics parallel to USB adapter from Cables to Go, but found out it's for Windows only.

I'm hoping there's another adapter out there that will work. The drivers in Mac OS X seem to cover PostScript--there's both GutenPrint and a generic PS driver.

The LJ 4 is ancient, but built like a tank. It just keeps going, and I'd like to keep it.

I'll report back if I find something that works.

Best,

Harv (harv822)
Occasional Advisor
Harvey millmnan
Message 16 of 25 (1,413 Views)

I found an adapter that claims to work with Macs. I'll get one and give it a try.

http://www.provantage.com/keyspan-tripp-lite-up-6c~7KEYS00H.htm
Occasional Advisor
Harvey millmnan
Message 17 of 25 (1,413 Views)

No joy.

Here's what I submitted to the vendor (Keyspan is a product of TrippLite):

"Product: Keyspan, Model: UP-6C
Problem: Out of Box Malfunction
Description:

Product advertising and the one page User Guide claim the product works with parallel printers on a Mac. The package also claims that no software is required.

My HP Laserjet 4M does not print when connected to my Mac Pro (OS X, 10.5.6). I tried both the "default" PostScript driver and the GimpPrint driver.

The Keyspan Printer Configuration software described in the User Guide is nowhere to be found. The User Guide also contradicts the "no software required" statement on the package.

Please suggest what I can do to use this product."
Occasional Visitor
James Roth
Message 18 of 25 (1,413 Views)

I may the answer to your problem. I had the same issue with my Macbook and my Laserjet 4 printer (love the old reliable!) I got it working perfectly with ATEN's UC-1248B USB to Parallel cable (http://www.aten-usa.com/?product&cat=595&Item=UC1284B) and a Gutenprint driver (I don't remember which version, but I think you can find it on Gutenberg's website.

That was with OS X 10.5. When I upgraded to OS X 10.5.2 or OS X 10.5.3, it wouldn't work at all, so I went back to OS X 10.5.

I came across this thread when I wondered if a more current version of both Gutenprint and OS X might solve the problem. I downloaded the most current driver, which is Gutenprint-5.2.3-ub.dmg, which you can download from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537&package_id=273638.

Before I upgrade to OS X 10.5.6, would you try this driver and let me know if it works? If not, you can probably download OS X 10.5 from Apple.

Hope this helps!
Occasional Advisor
Harvey millmnan
Message 19 of 25 (1,413 Views)

To James Roth: If I read your message correctly. you're asking someone to try the adapter you bought with OS X 10.5.6.

I don't think that's a "solution." That's basically a new problem.

From what I understand, printer support changed drastically with 10.5.6. So you're correct that what works with 10.5 may not work with 10.5.6.

But I've tried two different brands of parallel to USB adapters, and neither worked under 10.5.6. And I don't think backing up to 10.5 is a reasonable solution to my problem.

Regards,

Harv
Occasional Advisor
Lenee Meek
Message 20 of 25 (1,413 Views)

Well, I haven't been to this forum in a long time. I had never been able to get my HPL4 working with my Mac until now. Thank you James, your solution worked. I did what you suggested. First I have OS X 10.5.8. I purchased the ATEN UC-1284B: USB to Parallel Port Printer Cable Convertor Adapter. I downloaded the Gutenprint 5.2.3-ub.dmg from Soundforge. IT WORKED! Hallelujah! It is slow receiving the information, but it works every time. It use to stop after printing 1 job. Thanks for posting. It has saved me from having to do away with my printer. I suggest people give it a try. BTW this was my second cable. I figured another cable was cheaper then getting rid of my printer. Before this I had also tried a dozen different drivers. Good luck!
Occasional Advisor
Harvey millmnan
Message 21 of 25 (1,236 Views)

Hello Lenee and all,

The problem is not with the LJ4 nor with the Mac.

The problem is with the USB to parallel adapter. I've tried three of them, with no luck.

As much as I loved the LJ4, it was no longer worth my time to continue trying to get it to work with my Mac Pro.

I gave it away to a good home and bought a replacement laser printer--not an HP, so it'll go unnamed.

Hope others might somehow solve this problem.

Best,

harv822
Occasional Visitor
William Behrns
Message 22 of 25 (1,236 Views)

I have two Mac G4s, one running 10.5 the other 10.4. When I added a LaserJet 4M Plus to my Ethernet network it took me two weeks to finally get one to all of a sudden have the LaserJet pop up in the printer selection window. I have no idea why it finally popped up. Another week of whining and hair pulling to get the other one working. Same result, it just finally popped up in the selection box when I had been do the same things repeatedly.

Things have gone well for 3 month until this genius added 32 megs of RAM to the printer. You guessed it; I can no longer see or mount the printer to ether Mac.
Yes, the printers test page prints with no errors. RATS
Occasional Visitor
William Tyson
Message 23 of 25 (1,236 Views)

HP LJ 4+ on iMac running snow leopard.

When I first set-up got invalid pers message. Got Gutenprint 5.24, seemed to work okay. Then started to hang. Got message on printer queue that some percentage had been sent. deleting the job would cause printing of some part of the job. Looked fine, just not complete.

Would appreciate any ideas. The printer is old but indestructible.

Thanks in advance.
Occasional Visitor
Gary Carlson
Message 24 of 25 (1,236 Views)

I am having the same problem - If I add the printer HP LJ4 and use the driver for a HP LJ5 I can print and it will continue to print until I shut the printer off. When I turn the printer back on the printer locks up at about 12%. Then I must uninstall the printer unplug the cable and turn the printer off - and then start all over again i.e. reinstall printer and driver HP LJ5.

Could it have to do with my cable???????
Occasional Visitor
William Tyson
Message 25 of 25 (1,236 Views)

Response to Gary's post.

I think it is memory. Probably not the cable. PS requires a lot more than PCL. I can print to the 4+ from the Windows VM (under Parallels 5.0) Jobs print fine. But trying to print from the MAC side hangs. I had some luck with very short notes out of Word 2008 for MAC. I gave up. I attached the 4+ to a Windows computer on the network. I can send print jobs to it from the Windows side of my MAC.

Best I could do. It is an old printer.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.