Re: How Do I Print Through WiFi Access Point? (751 Views)
Occasional Contributor
ValiantSon
Message 1 of 6 (758 Views)
Accepted Solution

How Do I Print Through WiFi Access Point?

[ Edited ]

I have a LaserJet P2055dn printer (Jet Direct networking printer).  It is unreasonable to connect directly to my router.  How do I configure the printer network connection and my computers (a Windows 7 PC and a Windows Vista PC) to use the printer through a WiFi Access Point?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 6 (754 Views)

Re: How Do I Print Through WiFi Access Point?

Does the access point have a rj 45 cable or usb connection for the printer. If it does you use either the address the printer gets from the access point (ip address) or the address of the access point if you mean the access point is a wireless usb server. In other words the printer has to be connected with a rj 45 cable or usb cable to some device in order to access the printer. Most wireless access point devices have a rj 45 input which allows devices to be connected and obtain ip address from the network. The printer has to be in some way connected to the network with a hard wire.
Occasional Contributor
ValiantSon
Message 3 of 6 (751 Views)

The printer has an rj45 port it is network enabled thus I bought an Ethernet enabled (RJ45) connected Access Point to use the Network port on the printer.  I know I will have to connect the access point to my computer to configure it.  I wanted to know if I set the printer's address to the address of the Access Point or to the address the Access Point assigns the printer.  If I understand your first post I set my computer to the access point address to print.

Thanks

ValiantSon

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 6 (749 Views)

The access point has it's own ip address and will have to assign an ip address to the printer and that is the address you will use.
Occasional Contributor
ValiantSon
Message 5 of 6 (735 Views)

OK, I'm supposed to use the address the Access Point assigns to the printer.  Will that address show up on the network forward of the Access Point?  I know I will be able to see the Access Point IP at the router or in a network diagram.  If possible, I plan to give the Access Point a static IP and then set the printer to a static IP, too.  Do you recommend I NOT set these IP addresses to a static IP or is static OKAY?  Another point I need some clarification on is that I used the direct connect (FULL) printer driver on my computers.  Do I need to delete this driver and install the basic driver instead?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 6 (728 Views)

Use the static ip. Just run a config page from the printer after it is connected to see what ip address it obtained and then type that address into your web browser and when the web page comes up, just go to network tab and make the address whatever you want and change the method to manual which is the same as making it a static ip. You do not need to delete the driver as the printer should now be listed under hp of the windows drivers. Just use the add printer, local printer, next, bottom of page, create port and in the drop down choose standard tcp/ip and continue and follow instructions and when you get to the makers page, choose hp on the left and scroll down on the right probably to the bottom where the driver you added with the full install should be listed.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.