HP P3015 Pickup assembly turing and making noise. (6572 Views)
Occasional Contributor
grohj
Message 1 of 11 (6,572 Views)

HP P3015 Pickup assembly turing and making noise.

I have an HP P3015 that had a broken clip that holds the rod in place for the pickup roller. Had to buy a new pickup assembly to replace the broken clip. After install of the new assembly the pickup roller turns at startup and makes a loud clicking noise.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Esteemed Contributor
Pier3v
Message 2 of 11 (6,567 Views)

Re: HP P3015 Pickup assembly turing and making noise.

Could be 2 things: either you installed it incorrectly or the new assembly is defective.

Double check the installation and if everything looks ok, return the part where you bought it.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 11 (6,555 Views)

I have not had to replace the assembly on one of these yet, but sound like you are having issues with the selonoid and the cam that is stopped by the "L"arm of the selonoid.  If the roller is turning when you power on the printer, it means the selonoid is not stopping the shaft meaning the cam that is supposed to stop the shaft is not in the correct postion.

Occasional Contributor
grohj
Message 4 of 11 (6,528 Views)

So can someone explain how the cam should be placed to get this thing working correctly? I've only found the P3010 service manual and I cannot find any information on this area of the printer other than a parts drawing diagram.

Occasional Contributor
grohj
Message 5 of 11 (6,496 Views)

Can anyone help with this or point me to documentation on how to get this working?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 11 (6,480 Views)

You have to had worked on printers to know how each one is positioned.  Below is a link to the page from the service manual that shows the location of the selonoid and its position.  Blow up the pdf so you can see exactly how the gear and "L" arm should be positioned.  A note so you know how it works.  When you print a charge is sent to the selonoid and the "L" arm retracts towards the center of the selonoid and away from the gear which allows the gear to turn.  Immediately the juice is turned off and the "L" arm returns to rest on the gear as it is turning until the cutout reaches the arm which then slips into the cutout and stops the roller from turning.  Refer to figure 2-109.

Occasional Contributor
grohj
Message 7 of 11 (6,437 Views)

The gears were all in the right place. After playing with the gears on how they move I seen how the "L" arm works. It was not stopping the gears at the right place. I decided to remove the solenoid to see if it could be adjusted. Well in the process of doing that I noticed that the arm all of a sudden lined up so I screwed it back down. I tested the gear movement and it all lined up perfectly. I put it back together and now the printer is working. No more clicking and the pickup roller stops.

Thanks for your help.

Advisor
Herbert L Smith
Message 8 of 11 (6,289 Views)

David,

We have a P3015 with intermittent noise and 2 black marks (approximately centered on the page) on the back side of the pages...not on every page. No duplexing involved...    They look like roller marks but, I could not match them up to anything visible. Noise may be coming from pickup assy/ fuser/ delivery assy...I just don't know. Do you know of any known issues like this on this model?

Herb

Occasional Visitor
jh20
Message 9 of 11 (5,966 Views)

apparently we're the only 2 person in this world having this problem. see here:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/73820#6

did you find any solution? i'm still waiting to see if my fix has worked.

Occasional Visitor
gdaranger
Message 10 of 11 (5,843 Views)

That makes three of us, I have seen this problem on a total of three LJ  p3015 so far and no one as far as tech support can help. The roller marks are comming from the paper feed assembly for tray two. if you put the printer vertical and look underneath you will see the two rubber rollers that are part of the shaft for the paper feed assy., put your paper with the marks up next to the rollers and they are an exact match. That being said this is a time consuming job. I have replaced the paper feed assy along with the solenoid since no reason to take it apart twice and the problem came back after a few days. The next item i tried was the engine board since that is what controls all your solenoids, motors etc.. but still didn't solve the problem. Now all gears look fine and see no wear,  cracked teeth or binding. Yes it was installed correctly by the book and did it a few times so either the paper feed assy is defective which is only availabe new or the main motor is causing the problem,  which is not  a part that you can purchase since the motor along with main gear drive  assy are not available. I even went further and removed the main gear drive unit and motor and visibly checked and reinstalled and still have the issue.  Hp's answer ... if under warranty have unit replaced. I will fix this printer just waiting for a spare printer so i can tear into it, it just seems to me that this is a bigger problem that HP has heard of but can't admit to it... after all who would admit that one of their printers is a lemmon, so good luck your not alone I seem to run into these quite often and please no one ask if the firmware was upgraded.

Regular Advisor
Mihelj Marko
Message 11 of 11 (5,187 Views)

Replace registration roller assembly RM1-6272-000CN

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.