HP M4345 Upgrade USB DEV PORT (5150 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 1 of 39 (5,150 Views)

HP M4345 Upgrade USB DEV PORT

Hey guys i still got that problem, how can i update the printer trough USB port? When i turn it on, it says "download rfu file, update usb dev port " So can anyone help me?
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 2 of 39 (5,150 Views)

Re: HP M4345 Upgrade USB DEV PORT

Found this on the HP site:
URL <>
=====
Using USB

Before you can send a firmware upgrade through the USB port, you need to know the name of the computer the printer is connected to, and you need to enable printer sharing. These steps are for Windows® XP. Other versions of Windows operating systems are similar, with slightly different operations.

How to find out the name of your computer:

Click the Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then choose System Information.
You will find your computer's name in the right window-pane next to System Name.
Write down this name as it will be needed later.
How to share the connected printer:
Click the Start button, Settings, then Printers and Faxes.
Right-click the printer you need to send the upgrade to, then choose Sharing...
Choose the radio button labeled Share this printer.
Type a name for the share. Make it short and easy to remember.
Click Apply and write down the share name, as it will be needed later.
HP LaserJet mfp printer

How to send the firmware upgrade using a USB connection:

Open a DOS Command Prompt (in Windows NT® 4.0, 2000, or XP, click Start, Run, then type CMD and press OK, or in Windows 9x click Start, Programs, Accessories, and then click MSDOS Prompt) and locate the directory where you saved the firmware file.
Type: copy /b filename \\computer name\share name For example: copy /b ljXXXXmfpfw_0X.00X.X.rfu \\computer1\HP LaserJet mfp printer
Press Enter.
=====

Hope this helped :-)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 3 of 39 (5,150 Views)

Sir, the problem is when i turn on the printer it stops right away,a and it says Update trough USB dev port, and when i plug it to the USB, windows will pop up and will look up for drivers for "HP Helwett Packard Laser Jet Usb Upgrade Drivers", and i cannot find those dirvers. there is no network, the board doesnt flash or anything, so i will try with this command that you give to me... thanks
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 4 of 39 (5,150 Views)

Drivers are here:
URL <>

Click above link and select OS.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 5 of 39 (5,150 Views)

And Sir, also when i connect the printer trought the USB, it doesnt recognize lik HP 4345, just like HP LaserJet USB Upgrade drivers...do you know where i can find the drivers for that?
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 6 of 39 (5,150 Views)

When the printer is connected via the USB cable, Windows detects it as a new device and tries to automatically install drivers.

When the pop-ups appear, cancel all of them.

Download the driver you want from the link I posted (May 31, 2007 13:20:18 GMT). Save it in a folder you can easily find. Once the driver is saved, navigate to the folder where you saved it. Run (double-click) the *.exe file. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 7 of 39 (5,150 Views)

Ok Sir i will do that, but when i go to the link, should i select Mac OS? or Win XP? and on the next page should i download the 4345 firmware drivers, or HP printing system software. because i already download the RFU file about 30 Mb... but there is no *.exce file...thanks
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 8 of 39 (5,150 Views)

You should select the OS for the computer you are plugging the USB cable into.

If it is a MAC, select MAC. If it is a Windows PC, select Windows and the correct version.

To see your Windows version info - open My Computer, click , then click .

You should download the Driver, since you already have the Firmware.
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 9 of 39 (5,150 Views)

Sir i am downloading the file, but i forgot to tell you, how can i share the printer when is not in the Printer and Faxes? How can i share it? When i plug it the printer only HP LaserJet USB upgrade drivers " installation appears, it doesnt install the printer or anything else... So can i try without sharing the printer? because it doesnt see the printer like New HP 4345 printer installed. nothing... only HP laserJEt USB upgrade driver, and when you open the Device manager, in the category Other, there is HP Laser Jet USB upgrade and its set up with QUESTION MARK????????
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 10 of 39 (5,150 Views)

And Sir, i got one more big favor. I got two HP 4345 printers, from a long time ago, maybe 6 months, when you turn on the printer, there is no backgrounf light, and only thing that you can bearly see is HP logo going in and out. and is doing that all the time, it doesnt want to start, do you know what is that problem? is keep showing the HP logo but without background..... please assist me with this one... :-)
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 11 of 39 (4,780 Views)

Please see my post May 31, 2007 13:48:40 GMT.

It covered that already.

Cancel any and all pop-ups that appear when you connect the USB cable to your PC.

Run the *.exe driver file.
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 12 of 39 (4,780 Views)

Ok Sir i will try it... but what about sharing... there is no printers when i connect it to the computer, so how should i share it, what name to put in the DOS command?
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 13 of 39 (4,780 Views)

About the background light, sorry but can not help with that favor.

Maybe try new thread with subject:
HP 4345 printer - Display panel light
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 14 of 39 (4,794 Views)

ok Sir Thanks, and what about the sharing? what name should use????
Frequent Advisor
RLS MDOT
Message 15 of 39 (4,794 Views)

Navigate to the location where the *.exe file was unzipped. Find the *.inf file. Right-click it. Select Install.

After the printer driver is installed, it should then show up in your list of Printers and Faxes. Then you can share it.
Occasional Visitor
Ross Gressick
Message 16 of 39 (4,794 Views)

I would like to say i am having the same problem as your Ljubisa. But i have not found any resolve. I know EXACTlY what your asking, i am just sorry that the HP site has not been helpful to you.
Now, RL SMITH, HOW DO YOU UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE THROUGH THE USB?
Because even though you have it plugged into a PC on USB, your still technically doing it through the network according to those instructions. That is NOT what we want.
We want to be able to plug a laptop directly into the printer's USB port and send this firmware update directly from my laptop. Web JetAdmin does not allow you to do anything with a Printer that is connected DIRECTLY to your machine, only through other machines. WE need a solution for Printers that are connected DIRECTLY to ones PC.
I have tried sending the file through the USB using the DOS prompt but with new success. We need a solutions.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 17 of 39 (4,794 Views)

All these high end printers have Parallel port interface, right? If so, use the LPT port on your laptop to do FIRMWARE upgrade on HP printers. It is very straight forward and a lot more reliable. The trick nowadays is to make sure the laptop has Parallel port. I know, everyone has been telling me that the Parallel port & good old series ports are going away on Intel/AMD Based PCs. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, there are a lot of business still using applications using parallel port.

D.
Occasional Visitor
Ross Gressick
Message 18 of 39 (4,794 Views)

Yeah, it would help if it did have a parellel port, then i could do it through LPT1. But as far as i know, you can't do a push USB001 or DOT4_001, i have had no success doing it that way. These printer/copiers are NEW and don't have any Parellel support at all, just USB and Network, standard.
Now, when you plug the copier into a laptop, it does say the printer is there, but does not recongize the device 100% properly so the driver doesn't install properly.
Is there a Program out there to do this through the USB?
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 19 of 39 (4,794 Views)

Sorry. I'm totally out of the loop. I thought all HP printers have parallel interface. I guess I'm dead wrong on this. As you could tell, I have not seen any of these beast yet.

Best luck to you.

D.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 20 of 39 (4,794 Views)

the 4345 mfp has a parallel port but the M4345 has usb.if you want to upgrade firmware via usb,you should be able to redirect it with a net use command.see the thread link for how it's done.different printer but same process.http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1167163&admit=109447626+119973...
Occasional Visitor
Salvatore Musso
Message 21 of 39 (5,192 Views)

Hello guys,

We had the same problem described in this post with an LJ P3005n, HP laserjet USB Upgrade. No LPT1 port, only USB and ethernet.

Here is my solution:

- Manually add a printer connected on the usb port USB001 and manually select your windows driver.

- Then share that printer, for example : \\computername\lj3005

- From a command line prompt type this: copy /b firmware.rfu \\computername\lj3005

It sends the firmware in the windows spool, but it still block at 64kb, until you reboot the printer.

When the printer powers on, it download the firmware and begins his upgrade process.

I hope it can help you.
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 22 of 39 (5,192 Views)

Ok guys, here is the answer, DO NOT DO THIS ON HP M4345 printers, do not upgrade those printers with "M" series on USB, only upgrade them via JETDIRECT ( IP Address ), because after you upgrade the firmware through USB, you will get note on the display "DWNL 99% complete" and will stop. If you reboot it, its gone, DEAD, the three lights will flash, but there will be no display, or no background.Only back screen. Probably the flash destroys the memory inside the formatter...
so if someone have some idea, on upgrading new HP M4345 series, please post it.Thanks
Occasional Visitor
Katherine Hidalgo
Message 23 of 39 (5,192 Views)

Hello, I work for supporting this devices what somebody wrote down that the firmware upgrade should not be perform through USB is a lie... A firmware upgrade should not touch the memory at all. It is actually installed on a part of the main board inside the formatter. Actually that is part of our troubleshooting is to perform a firmware upgrade through the USB port. However it would not work if the printer was never installed by USB.
In order to perform the the firmware upgrade first you need to download the file from hp.com > software and drivers > select download software, firmware > type the machine you got > select Cross Operating System and there you should see an option for your operating system.
Hit download. When the file is done downloading unzip the file and you would get two files a readme file and another one that ends on .rfu (this is the file we would send to the printer).
If you have the printer already installed you will need to go to your printers and faxes, do a right click on top of the driver and select properties. Inside properties select the sharing tab hit the option that says Share this printer. Note: PLEASE TYPE A SHARE NAME AND HAVE IT BE ONLY ONE WORD NO SPECIAL CHARACTERS. MAKE IT SHORT AND EASY TO REMEMBER. IT WOULD BE EASIER IF YOU JUST TYPE M4345.
Go to the port tab and make sure that port selected is USB or DOT.
Now hit apply, then OK. Under the driver you will see a small hand, that means that the printer is shared.
Now open a DOS command prompt (in Windows 2000, or XP, click start > Run > type cmd > press ok.
On the command prompt type copy /b filename \\computer name\share name
Note: filename would be the name of the .rfu file, in windows XP or prev versions you can just drag and drop the .rfu file and the folder path would appear.
After this hit enter.

The path will look something like
C:\Documents and Settings\espinoem>copy /b C:\ljM4345mfppfw_48.061.8\ljM4345mfpfw_48_061_9.customer.bundle.rfu \\espinoem01\hplaserj
1 file(s) copied.

Note: the firmware process will cause the LaserJet to reboot. Once the device is up and running it is recomended to print a configuration page and confirm the firmware has been restored
Frequent Advisor
Ljubisa
Message 24 of 39 (5,192 Views)

Ok Dude.. about the firmware you are right, but saying that i am saying a lie thats not true.
if you have a HP 4345 printer, and download the firmware, upload the firmware, and everything will be ok. But uploading model HP 4345M ..... M model, with the same firmware its not correct. you will kill the formatter. And HP still doesnt have firmware for the new series. i am working on these almost two years, and it happends twice, upgradeing the firmware with the newer version, or upgradeing the newer printers with older firmware will kill the formatter. it happends twice to me, so you can try and see.
Occasional Visitor
Katherine Hidalgo
Message 25 of 39 (5,191 Views)

Well I'm not sure of why that happened... actually I have a lab here with multiple MFP's so I performed that as an experiment. I was curious. Actually my printer took it without a problem... probably you were not lucky or I was the lucky one.
Also I will like to recomend you a trick. If you have any kind of MFP that shows a send rfu file by USB port and is one of the old series. By old series I mean that the formatter has a flash card not embered. You can take it out and instead of flashing by USB port the firmware you can just copy a firmware from any other MFP.
Example if you have a 4730 with the message and you have a 4345 up and running, you can place the 4730's flash card on the second slot of the 4345 formatter and copy the firmware. Then place it back into the 4730 and by network send the rfu file. This is a saftest procedure.
Regarding the M series and CM series unfurtunetly they have the flash card embered so if the firmware by usb port does not works the only alternative is to replace the formatter, and there is no other thing that can be done.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.