HP Laserjet m1522nf - network installation problems (12057 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Kostic
Message 1 of 12 (12,057 Views)

HP Laserjet m1522nf - network installation problems

Hi everybody,

I got an issue with the "m1522nf" I bought on saturday and connected it rightaway to my router, which has the IP 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0).

During the installation the software tries to find attached printers. Unfortunately, the attempt failed and didn't work out, even when I tried to use the other methods (manually via IP/hostname or MAC-address). As a first attempt to solve the issue, I downloaded the newest version of the driver, which didn't help. Second, I manually assigned an IP-address to the printer (192.168.1.99/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1). I ended up getting the message "invalid entry" displayed. Thus, I decided to update the firmware.

In order to do so, I needed to install the printer via USB. This in turn worked perfectly. Afterwards, the firmware-update and the IP-address-change worked, the installation itself not yet.

Third, I tried to add it using windows-standard-function (i.e. without using HP-software) --> no good, as well!

Did anybody experience similar issues? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks & regards,
Bobby
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet m1522nf - network installation problems

Bobby,

You are missing one step that will tell us a lot. The step is after you assign the ip address go to the reports menu and print a config page which should show the ip address. Now on one of your computers you need to see if you can ping that address and get a reply. Sometimes you can assign an address but if you have network issues (cable, wiring problems or port issues) it will not communicate with the network and the issue needs to be resolved first. The other thing is if you just purchased the item and you know the cable, port, etc. are fine, then call hp customer care and have them resolve the issue for you. It is always possible the printer's embedded nic card has an issue.
Occasional Visitor
Kostic
Message 3 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Hi David,

thanks for the idea.

I indeed tried to ping my printer, but that was before I upgraded the firmware. Of course it didn't work back then, because the gateway was a completely different one and thus wrong.

I'll check it on Saturday when I return home, however - without being too pessimistic - I assume I won't be able to ping the printer, since I couldn't add it using Windows "Add printer" functionality (where I already entered the right address).

Calling the HP-hotline was the last resort :-)

Regards,
Bobby
Occasional Visitor
Kostic
Message 4 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Folks,

just tested to ping the printer (on 192.168.1.99) like David suggested. Didn't work out.

Afterwards, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.50 and tried to ping... without luck once again!

Anybody with similar issues or solutions for that issue?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby
Occasional Visitor
Hardik Kansupada
Message 5 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Hi,

I have a similar issue. I have connected the printer to the wireless route. I can only print if I have the ethernet cable attached to the laptop. When I try to print using wireless it fails.

My router IP is 10.0.0.1 and my printer IP is 10.0.0.4.

Occasional Visitor
Hardik Kansupada
Message 6 of 12 (12,057 Views)

BTW, when I ping the printer when the laptop is connect via ether cable it can find the printer. However, when I ping using wireless, it fails.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Your notebook has two different ethernet connections. The one that is hardwired and the one that is wireless. They are probably not in the same range. Go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and see how many ip address the printer has.
Occasional Visitor
Hardik Kansupada
Message 8 of 12 (12,057 Views)

Thanks a lot for the reply and I sincerely appreciate it. I checked via printing the Network Report available in the printer.

The Printer IP is IPv4 = 10.0.0.4
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

It only shows as having 1 IP. I also did ipconfig from my PC with Ethernet cable attached. It displayed

Ethernet IP 10.0.0.5
Wireless IP 10.0.0.2

The printer is on the same n/w, so I am expecting to be able to print from the laptop when using internet via wireless and not just when physically connected via Ethernet.
Occasional Visitor
gaston9x19
Message 9 of 12 (10,609 Views)

I also had a "network installation failed" using the M1522nf on one of my laptops running Vista 32-bit. I have had it installed via the network on another laptop with Vista 64-bit for some time now. I know it works because I can print from the one laptop. It gets a 192.168.1.102 in the network report printed from the printer. On the laptop I cannot install it on, I WAS able to ping that same IP address. I am using the full-version software downloaded from the HP website for this same model. I select "printer connected through a network," "search for my printer," and it finds the printer on the network, but then when I say connect, it sits there for about a minute, and an error pops up.

The installer is unable to complete the network installation at this time. Please verify the following and try again:

-Your device and your PC are connected to the network.

-All the settings you entered are vaild.

-Firewall software is not interfering with your Install

For the latest information and updates, please visit www.hp.com/support

I tried stopping the Windows Firewall (only one running on this computer), and installing again: no change. As I said I can ping the printer from this same laptop, and it DID see it, it just won't connect to it.

Any ideas? Please help. Thanks.

-Ben

Neighborhood Moderator
affableLJ
Message 10 of 12 (10,604 Views)

Check the firmware version, If the firmware version is 20090724, upgrade to the latest version-20100616.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3442754...

Please ensure Hardware/software firewall is disabled for software installation.

I am providing you the link on  documents that has information on your issue. This might also help you.

Configure the network product

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01308369&prodT...

Install the product on a network

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01308366&prodT...

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Occasional Advisor
boomer
Message 11 of 12 (10,342 Views)

Bobby have you turned off the printer and turned it back on. Some printers do not change the IP address until you do this even thou the printer shows it is the right IP address. Another possible problem could be base port settings. if it is raw tcp the port number is 9100 I think I have not got a printer working but this is what I have researched on TCP port numbers while trying to get my printer going.

Occasional Visitor
Yellobrix
Message 12 of 12 (8,000 Views)

Worst. Printer. Ever.

True story: company is loyal HP customer. All HP everywhere in the office. New Laserjet m1522nf, only 6 months old, the whole thing becomes unresponsive - cannot even get the control panel to communicate the issue. Offline. Not one single button works. Call HP support. What do I get? A jerk who acts as if I an unable to follow any instructions. Well, since NO button works on the whole thing, what would I do, exactly???

Finally after a long & painful conversation, HP agrees to have it shipped under warranty. Told 30-45 days for it to be returned. Thus informed, I drive to an office supply warehouse, and purchase a Brother all-in-one, so we can continue to operate.

Fast forward to today. The Brother? That bad boy is a freaking WORK HORSE! Goes and goes and goes. Never been down not even once it two years. Toner cartridge lasts so long we forget about it - never think about it at all. Yet, for the past month, every time I need to print on the Laserjet m1522nf, I have to re-boot it. That is, until today, when once again, not one single button works, can't push the little "tool" icon button to even get it to communicate why it's offline, no error message - just NOTHING!

We agreed long ago that we will not repair it, nor will we purchase another HP printer. It's just too disappointing that it's always giving us trouble. Toner is too expensive. Just all around a POS.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.