HP Laserjet P2015d Win7 64-bit Universal PCL6 driver & Full Duplex (14935 Views)
Advisor
pfoul
Message 1 of 18 (14,935 Views)

HP Laserjet P2015d Win7 64-bit Universal PCL6 driver & Full Duplex

I have a HP Laserjet 2015d printer who has been working quite well under Windows XP. I upgraded to Windows 7 business, 64-bit and installed the HP Universal driver for PCL6 (64-bit windows 7). However, I have the following problems:

1. When I try to print a pdf document, in full duplex mode, the printer prints a watermark ('[none]'). I checked with the printing preferences and tried all the available '[none]' options and still get the watermark printed!

2. An additional PCL6 P2015 device also gets installed automatically which does not allow for automatic duplexing; only for a manual one (as the respective printer I guess), so it is useless. Still, the watermark appears!!!

3. If I try to print a pdf which contains text as an image (e.g., from original scans), in duplex mode, the printer gets stuck with the orange light blinking next to the 'triangle' symbol on the printer. I have to press the Go button (green), in which case, instead of a two-sided, I get a single-sided print-out.

SO:

What can I do to have PCL6 with automatic full-duplex on this printer? The reason for PCL6 is that it is supposed to support the maximum printing quality of 1200 dpi of the printer. I am surprised that HP has not come up with a top quality driver (unless I am doing something wrong).

Please advise

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 18 (14,914 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet P2015d Win7 64-bit Universal PCL6 driver & Full Duplex

The P2015 pcl 6 driver is buitl into the windows operating system.  Just use the add printer, select the correct port and when you get to the makers page choose hp on the left and scroll down to laserjet P2015 pcl6 and continue from there.  You will have to go into the printer properties after it has loaded to tell the computer that the printer has duplex.  To do so just go to devices and printers and right click on the printer icon and scroll down to the first properties and then click on device settings and change duplex from not installed to installed and save the settings.  If you want the printer to duplex all the time, then you need to go into the properties again and select the correct duplex orientation you want and again save the settings.

Advisor
pfoul
Message 3 of 18 (14,884 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I deleted all printer drivers, rebooting several times to achieve a 'clean' machine. Then I connected the USB printer cable for my LaserJet P2015d as you suggested. After a while my computer (Windows 7, 64-bit, Professional) recognized it as 'HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6'. I then went to the first 'Properties' and selected 'Decive Settings', and modified "Duplex Unit (for 2-Sided Printing", to "Installed".

What I got:

1. If I click on the 'General' Tab, I notice at the bottom that the reported maximum printer resolution is 600dpi! No 1200dpi, etc! Well, OK, I can live with that.

2. When I print in full duplex a 'normal' PDF document, it comes out OK, without the Watermark (no other options appear for Watermarks), which is OK.

3. When I print in full duplex a PDF which really contains an image (e.g. a scanned document), the printer gets stuck and the orange light next to the Triangle Symbol flashes. If I press the printer 'Go' (green) button, then it prints the first page on a single sheet of paper and stops with the orange light blinking. I have to press the 'Go' button again to get the 2nd page on a separate sheet of paper. Effectively, what I get is MANUAL duplex printing!!!

Any suggestions?

Advisor
pfoul
Message 4 of 18 (14,883 Views)

I need to emphasize that I printed the same test documents on a different HP printer (USB connected) at a colleague's Windows 7, 64-bit computer and came out without any problems.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 18 (14,866 Views)

Since it automatically installed it may be using the drivers you downloaded.  What you need to do is go to the properties of the current load and go to ports and jot down the port it is using.  Now go to add printer, next, local printer, next and click on the port drop down and select the port you jotted down.  Now continue and when you get to the makers page choose hp on the left and laserjet 2015 pcl6 on the right and finish up.  Go into the properties as before and device settings and change duplex from not installed to installed.  Also check the memory setting to make sure it matches the memory on the prnter.  Set this printers a default and see what happens.

Advisor
pfoul
Message 6 of 18 (14,821 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion. I used Administrative Tools -> Print Management to delete all previous driver installations with subsequent computer reboots. Then did what you suggested and ended up with 'HP Laserjet P2015 PCL 6' as the device in question. After usb cable disconnection/connection, the computer performed a windows update for the driver (it is permanently connected to the Internet) and ended up with 'HP LaserJet P2015 Series UPD PCL 6', which was also set as the default printer. I went to the 'Device Settings' Tab and performed an 'update now' for the Automatic Configuration, which set the Automatic Duplex to 'On'.

What I got in the end is presented in the attached images for your convenience (pics 1-5).

Then I tested the printer, by printing the first 2 pages of two PDF files. The first is a 'normal' paper, which was printed without any problems, whereas the second is a PDF which contained scanned text (hence it really contains images), which got stuck with the the orange light next to the triangle symbol on the printer blinking. After pressing the green 'Go' button, it prints both pages in two separate sheets!!

Also, as you can see, the printer is recognized as able up to 1200 dpi, but the only available option for printing quality is 600 dpi!

Advisor
pfoul
Message 7 of 18 (14,819 Views)

Advisor
pfoul
Message 8 of 18 (14,818 Views)

Seems the system can only accept a single attachment at a time...

Advisor
pfoul
Message 9 of 18 (14,817 Views)

Advisor
pfoul
Message 10 of 18 (14,816 Views)

the last image

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 18 (13,521 Views)

What happens if you do not disconnect the usb cable but just do the local load of the driver using the add printer option.  In other words get a second instance of the printer it does not matter.  Just add printer, local printer, select the correct port which will be listed, at the  makers page hp on the left and correct driver on the right and finish up and use that as default and change duplex from not installed to installed.  Does it work with that driver?  Do nothing else but try and print after loading the driver.  No updates, no disconnecting printer, etc.  Just load driver, make changes and print.   What happens?  Also what is the size of the pdf with graphic you are trying to print?

Advisor
pfoul
Message 12 of 18 (13,514 Views)

OK. Without changing anything I added the 'HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6' printer. The Universal PCL6 driver has not been deleted but co-exists. Now, I checked with the Preferences of non-universal driver and saw that it reports 600dpi (instead of the maximum 1200dpi), cannot perform automatic configuration due to 'communication error' with the printer, but reports the actual installed memory (96 MB total). I manually changed the setting to Full-duplex and used an ordinary pdf with text trying to print the first two pages.

Well, while it was printing without a problem using the universal PCL6 driver, it now stops with the orange light blinking next to the triangle symbol. If I press the Go button, it prints the first page and stops, blinking again; I press the Go button again and prints the 2nd page on a separate sheet!

So, I did bother to try it on the 'scanned text' pdf file (which is 8.7MB in size).

Obviously the Universal PCL6 version works better, but still not for all PDFs and at no other than the default printing resolution!

Any other suggestions?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 18 (13,484 Views)

Check you paper size settings.  See what the printer is set for by pressing the green button until both lights start to blink and release and you will get a config page that will tell you what size paper the printer thinks is in the tray.  You may be having a A4, letter issue.  If not that then try loading the driver for the 4200 series pcl and see what happens.

Advisor
pfoul
Message 14 of 18 (13,469 Views)

Thanks. I checked with the 4200 PLC series and the driver is the same (universal PCL6), so no point in doing anything with this.

I also printed the device configuration. The page is set to A4 (as it should be). It states that there is 32MB of which 17.61MB is available. This is strange: I checked with the little compartment for the extra DIMM and so no RAM module there. However, the P2015 PCL6 series driver reports under the Device Settings that I have 96MB RAM. In the respective drop-down list, 96MB is the smallest available value. Under the universal PCL6 driver, there is no report (and setting) regarding total existing memory. I am attaching the tab for your convenience.

I also tried to use the Vista 64-bit driver, but would not install...

Advisor
pfoul
Message 15 of 18 (13,454 Views)

I was also suggested to check the firmware version of my printer and since it is old (2006) upgrade it with the following utility (to 2008 firmware):

http://www.hp.com/pond/firmware/hidden/P2015FWUpg20080312.html

I tried it, but the printer failed to upgrade the firmware.

I used an old Windows XP laptop, re-installed the relevant drivers from the Installation CD and the printer works fine for printed double-sided all the PDFs. I tried to use the above utility to upgrade the printer's firmware, but it still failed to do so.

So, unless I wish to use an XP-box for printing, I have no other ideas for making it work under Windows 7 64-bit for automated duplex-printing.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 16 of 18 (13,447 Views)

You are either downloading or using universal drivers built into the operating system.  Most pcl drivers for hp laserjets will work with your printer so use the model specific driver and not the universal driver.  You have a choice.  If you have auto updates activated on your computer, turn off or just disconnect from the internet so the computer can not update to see if any of the other model drivers will work for you.  You can load as many printers as you want so just keep trying most of the laserjet models but keep in mind you have to tell each one that the duplex is now installed.

Advisor
pfoul
Message 17 of 18 (13,442 Views)

I just used a colleague's laptop with Windows 7, 32-bit and PCL6 driver and it works fine!

I will try it with another computer to see what happens...

Occasional Contributor
Aaron Epstein
Message 18 of 18 (12,651 Views)

If I might add to this thread.   I had the same problem with the 2015d not printing automatic duplex with 64 bit Windows 7.    I just got off the phone with HP technical support who took control of the computer remotely and then installed the following driver:

Windows PCL5 x 64

then deleted the printer & re-installed with the new driver, and the duplex function WORKED.

Please note that the HP tech chose PCL 5 x64 driver, not PCL 6 x64 driver.

What was disappointing in that I used last night the HP Chat function and the tech on the chat line said there was no driver for 64 bit windows that supported auto duplex.   In any event, it is now working.  All is well!

Aaron

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.