HP Laserjet M1522nf MFP Fax receive problem (1715 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Raymond Khong
Message 1 of 6 (1,715 Views)

HP Laserjet M1522nf MFP Fax receive problem

Just installed this 1522nf MFP this week. Had hit and miss on receiving faxes as I had several friends sent 'test page'. I set to fax/tel mode with and without an answering machine. Did the fax setup utility numerous times and installed the software twice.

I checked 'Yes' to the question "Will you be attaching a phone to the HP LaserJet?" Each time I returned to the fax setup utility, it defaults to 'No'. Not sure why this is so? I also tested the voice call using a cell phone, the handset in another room will ring 3 times then stopped ringing, the 1522 will then starts to ring with a message 'pick up handset'. At a second attempt, there was no ring tone at all. That is erratic?
Whereas I never had any problem with my 5610 Officejet before with the same number of handsets and answering machine on one land line.
Does anyone out there having the same kind of problem? Appreciate some feedback.
Tx, Raymond
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
salai gabor
Message 2 of 6 (1,715 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet M1522nf MFP Fax receive problem

hp1522 has an ability to differentiate between fax/voice calls and ring types. have you set to answer on all ring types?

test with hp1522 being the only device on phone line, and with dedicated line, not through pbx.
then attach a handset to hp1522 output jacket and watch will handest ring while receiving call
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Raymond Khong
Message 3 of 6 (1,715 Views)

Thanks gsalai, the manual pointed out that hp1522 is an analog device not designed to work with dsl,pbx or isdn lines. I called Shaw, our phone service provider, they confirmed that they are digital, IP. This might be the cause, but would appreciate if there are any patches available. Unfortunately HP tech support is unavailable during the weekend.
Tx RK
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
salai gabor
Message 4 of 6 (1,715 Views)

we have tested fax-to-fax operation over voip line, and had to adjsut codec. it was internal test with "planet" voip, so our technician was able to set-up the codec that best suite compression/quality and fax transmission.
i don't know may you with your provider adjust your ip telephony parameters?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
martha Colli
Message 5 of 6 (1,715 Views)

Raymond, I am having the same problem. I'm also having another problem as a result of the fax buggering up, when that happens, computers printing to the printer portion through the network lose their ability to print to it. It's as if there is some miscommunication/cross talk between the printer and fax ports. There is no handset attached to our printer, it is directly plugged into the phone jack and should automatically recieve faxes as they come in. I've tried another brand new MFP of the same model, it worked for a couple of weeks and is now doing the same thing. Time for HP to look into this...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
KEITH VAN RYN
Message 6 of 6 (1,715 Views)

I have found that the V.34 speed setting is the issue. Set this to the medium fax speed and you should be good to go. Also, make sure to use the included fax cord, which is a two conductor cable.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation