HP Laserjet 5mp with Mac OS X (207 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Lesley Harris
Message 1 of 4 (207 Views)

HP Laserjet 5mp with Mac OS X

I have a Macintosh G4 and I am trying to connect my HP Laserjet 5mp to it. I am running only system OS X I do not want to install OX 9. Is it possible to connect to 2 and if so what software and or hardware do I need?
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
CA1029997
Message 2 of 4 (207 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 5mp with Mac OS X

Is your problem the driver, or the physical connection? OS 9 has nothing to do with either.

OS X 10.4 has a Laserjet 5MP driver, don't know about previous versions.

As for the physical connection...I don't recommend using a parallel-to-USB adapter. They are chancey. Does the printer have an Ethernet print server in it? If it does, you can connect it to the G4 with an Ethernet crossover cable (if the G4's port is not currently being used). If you have a home network with a router/switch, you can network the printer instead of connecting it to the computer.

If the printer does not have a print server (JetDirect) in it, you can buy an external parallel-port print server to connect the printer to a network with (or to the computer).

Then again, this may be to expensive/complicated, then you buy a new printer with USB.
Be methodical!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Lesley Harris
Message 3 of 4 (207 Views)

I am running OS 10.3.9 Panther & I can't seem to find the driver and because I'm new to OS X maybe I'm not looking for it in the right folder but on the off chance i don't have one I'll download from this site. Unfortunatley my printer has ethernet capabilities but I don't have the card for it and I do't have a router so I was hoping to be able to use a USB to Parallel Printer cable.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
CA1029997
Message 4 of 4 (207 Views)

You don't look for drivers in a folder, easily.
In Printer Setup, where you add a printer, there's a drop-down list of printer manufacturers. When you pick HP, you'll see all the models you have drivers for.

You can try the Parallel-to-USB thing if you really want to.
Consider getting a new printer. It'd be the simplest solution.
Be methodical!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation