HP Laserjet 5P Compatibility with Windows 7(64bit) (5432 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (5,432 Views)

HP Laserjet 5P Compatibility with Windows 7(64bit)

Microsoft says the HP Laserjet 5P is NOT compatible with Windows 7 (64/32bit...all OS's).

I want to keep my faithful 5P printer.  Are there work around solutions or compatible drivers that will work with the Laserjet 5P (C3150A)??

Also, is there a technical reason why the 5P is NOT compatible with Windows 7???

Please advise with any information.  Thanks for your help, in advance.

Neighborhood Moderator
Message 2 of 6 (5,429 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 5P Compatibility with Windows 7(64bit)

The Laserjet 5P is not support as this is an older product.

If you are using the new Windows 7 operating system on your PC, consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will work with Microsoft's new Windows 7 operating system.

For more information about upgrade programs, please go to the HP Trade-in Trade-Up website or HP Shopping website.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 6 (5,428 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Although, that's not much of a solution.  For instance, Windows 7 supports the Laserjet 6P, which is about as old. Why the 6P and not the 5P??

How about helping with a work around solution?  If I need to buy another printer, it won't necessarily be an HP.  But, I  have a lot invested in this machine AND cartridges. And, it is bulletproof and meets all of my needs. 

Please help.  Thanks again.

Neighborhood Moderator
Message 4 of 6 (5,426 Views)

This model has basic drivers that should be on the computer. Plug in the USB and it should be detected and install the drivers.

This might help you.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02538616&prodT...

Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you of a workaround if the above does not work. Take care!

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 6 (5,423 Views)

Thank-you for the tip.  Worth a try, as I see information in oher forums that says Windows 7 detects laserjet printers older than the 5P.

BTW, any advise on a quality, sure-to-work, USB to Parallel cable (mfr., model, where to buy)??

PS, any more ideas or experiences in the forum re: compatibility experiences for this particular (HP Laserjet 5P) printer??

Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 6 (4,826 Views)

I had my HP 1000 and HP 5P working on my previous PC with windows 7 64 bit, but I am unable to get either working on my new pc with the same OS   HP P1000 used to work with HP970cse drivers, but now nothing seems to work, HP 5P is automatically recognized, but it will not print anything.  uninstalled and reinstalled switched ports, no success.  I really do not like the fact that HP is telling me to purchase a new printer, both these printers work just fine when I can get them to print, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the heck is going on?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.