HP Laserjet 4000 - wont print (385 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rocco Mininni
Message 1 of 7 (385 Views)

HP Laserjet 4000 - wont print

Hi,

I have a HP Laserjet 4000 and it refuses to print. The printer is recognized, but when I sen something to it, nothing happens. I think the kids may have fooled around with the buttons, and now something is out of wack. I went to the RESET menu, and reset everything (not sure if that was really the right thing to do) but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (385 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 - wont print

Rocco how is the printer connected? Is it a network printer or just connected directly to one computer? Also when you turn on the printer does the motor turn and some messages appear in the menu and then it comes to ready? What type of computer operating system do you have? Information it what we need to help you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rocco Mininni
Message 3 of 7 (385 Views)

The printer is attached to an Windows XP SP2 machine. The printer goes through initialization and to a READY mode, and that's it. I can DELETE and re-define the printer through Windows with NO issues at all. I'm also able to print the internal settings without an issue.
The fact that Windows can recognize that it's an HP Laserjet 4000 is an indication to me that the signal or handshake between the operating system and the printer takes place. This would also mean that the cable and hookup is okay as well. Like I mentioned before, I'm able to print the internal settings which is an indication that physically there is nothing wrong with the printer. Really puzzling. When I send a job to print, it will just stay in the queue.
I still am leaning towards an internal setting (possibly within the I/O menu) that may be incorrect. Hope this info helps.

Thanks again
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 7 (385 Views)

You have a communication issue which we need to resolve. Lets try what is known as a dos print to see if we can narrow down what is happening. Go to start, run and type cmd and hit the enter key. This will bring you to a dos window. Now at the prompt type cd\windows and hit enter. Now type dir >> lpt1 and hit the enter key. Does the printer print a directory of windows. If it does, your issue is the driver which probably means you are doing something wrong loading the driver or the windows printing system has an issue. If the directory does not print, then you have a communication issue and the problem is either the port on the computer, the parallel cable or the port on the printer has an issue. You will need another printer and another computer to use to determine which item is bad.
Please use plain text.
B N
Occasional Visitor
B N
Message 5 of 7 (385 Views)

I have the same problem but no kid put anything. It just happen for whatever reason. Thank you for the last person statement about testing in DOS. I go and test everything every steps that the last person said and I know nothing wrong about my computer or windows or driver... It is printer port has issue. How to fix the printer port? Thank you for your response. I am request response from the last person's statement.
Please use plain text.
B N
Occasional Visitor
B N
Message 6 of 7 (385 Views)

By the way my printer did not print at all. Did not print internal nor print any words in the output. Just white blank paper. Thank you for your response.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 7 (385 Views)

If a page is printed but has nothing on it then the issue is the toner cartridge sealing tape has not bee removed or the laser/scanner shutter has come off it post and is blocking the opening. To fix the laser/scanner you need to remove the top cover and the black box is the laser/scanner and the shutter is in front mounted on the laser/scanner.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation