HP Laserjet 1320 Problem (3 of them) (1654 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Message 1 of 17 (1,654 Views)

HP Laserjet 1320 Problem (3 of them)

I started to have problem with Hp Laserjet 1320.(currently with 3 of them) If user is using this printer as default printer, when they click on file > Print, they see no printer is selected. when they click on drop down menu to select a printer and choose HP Laserjet 1320, after 5 seconds they are getting this error "The printer has not yet responded but the microsoft office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?".

I downloaded and installed the latest driver from HP and it didn't work. I printed Self Test / configuration page from the printer and under "Status Log" code 10310 is common code for those printers. I can't find what this means.
Regular Advisor
Message 2 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 1320 Problem (3 of them)

Are u using the printer over a network, shared from another computer, maybe connected directly to a computer?
Occasional Advisor
Message 3 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Connected directly to a computer
Regular Advisor
Message 4 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Usb? Parallel? U might want to try using the LJ 4 driver instaed of the 1320 PCL6 driver.
Occasional Advisor
Message 5 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Parallel.

Current driver: Hp Laserjet 1320 PCL6
Honored Contributor
Message 6 of 17 (1,654 Views)

try the PCL5e driver.
Occasional Advisor
Message 7 of 17 (1,654 Views)

It didn't help either. I paid $25 to out-of-warranty support to get help but so far(1.5 hours) they told me nothing different than i know.. I suggest people to not get pay it.

Honored Contributor
Message 8 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Raz - do you know of any documentation on the event log codes and where it might be?

I tried concentrating on the event log code of 10310, but after spending about an hour digging around HP and Google, there's nothing except that yes, there is an event log, and yes it does show codes. No listing anywhere I can find of what the codes mean. Nothing in the 1320 User Guide nor Service Manual either. Do you know if they have these documented somewhere?

Fatih - About the only thing I can think of is this. Are the computers the printers are locally connected to via parallel cable in regular use? If not, it might be possible that they're set with a power setting of something like turn off the hard drive after 30 minutes or perhaps go in to hibernation after X minutes. That would prevent the computer from communicating with the rest of your network until someone physically used those coputers.

Pat

Occasional Advisor
Message 9 of 17 (1,654 Views)

Pat,

I didnt find anything about this "10310" code either and that's why i accepted to pay $$ to get support but they didnt even ask me any question about status log or this code. So i guess it means nothing.

I thought the same thing for the power options and i changed them to "Never". It didnt solve the problem. Printers are locally connected to via parallel cable so network is not the problem. However, there is something very funny going on. all my users are on "Active Directory". they have their own login name/password. If i login to those computers "locally", printer works good. Now you may think something is wrong with the server; however, i have other 5-6 HP Laserjet 1320s on the same network and they didnt start to have this problem YET.
Honored Contributor
Message 10 of 17 (1,654 Views)

status log info is indeed hard to find any documentation on.in some manuals there is a little info,and only in a few manuals far and in between.generally though ,status/event log errors are usually very similiar to display errors but perhaps the decimal is moved over or a number or two may be different.on a printer like this with no display you would normally be able to find more info on status log numbers in HP toolbox or possibly an EWS.usually toolbox.

if they are connected via parallel,you should be able to open a dos/command prompt and type:dir>>lpt1 and see if it prints a directory list to test communication.

double check which port it is installed on.
Honored Contributor
Message 11 of 17 (1,683 Views)

check the "advanced printer settings " tab in toolbox,or "information" tab in an EWS.also from toolbox or EWS if available ,check if parallel advanced communications and high speed is on yes.
Occasional Advisor
Message 12 of 17 (1,683 Views)

Razmat,

After I read what you told me to check "advanced printer settings" you mentioned toolbox. I looked at the computer, which i had a problem with printer, and didnt see the toolbox. I deleted the printer, removed drivers related that printer and then installed the printer with the CD came with printer.

It installed HP toolbox and driver. It also changed the port to DOT4_XX(i cant remember numbers) from LPT1.

I tried this on 3 computers and they all started to work good. I still dont know fixed it:

* Hp toolbox?
* driver came with CD?(even I tried the latest driver on HP.com)
* changing port?

I dont know.. All i know is, they are working now.
Honored Contributor
Message 13 of 17 (1,683 Views)

Fatih,

I suspect the port was the culprit.

Pat
Regular Advisor
Message 14 of 17 (1,683 Views)

Hi Fatih,

The DOT4 port is installed with the CD for better bi-directional communication. U said that u were using Parallel cables- and many of them do not provide good bi-directional support. U could use the LPT1 port, but disable the "enable bidirectional support" in the ports tab. However, if u still wish to use the toolbox, the printer must stay on DOT4 port, otherwise u could not access the toolbox. It is also recommended to set the Parallel port mode of the PC (in the BIOS) to ECP. In the properties of the LPT1 port in the device manager, make sure that "never use an interrupt" is chosen.

BTW- the 10310 errors are toner related, maybe u r using non-HP toners that do not have the memory chip.
Occasional Advisor
Message 15 of 17 (1,683 Views)

I would like to add something. I still have some problems with other printers like HP LaserJet 2300.

If user connects to AD server(Active Directory) with their login/password, they are not able to use the printer or it takes very long time.

Even If I login as myself(having full admin rights) , it takes long time to print test page. If I try to print something, i get the same error "The printer has not yet responded but the microsoft office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?".

However, if I login to computer locally(not to server), printer works fine.

Is there anything on the server side may cause this problem?

Note: Our LAN connection speed also changed and its 10 times faster than before.
Honored Contributor
Message 16 of 17 (1,683 Views)

Have you downloaded and installed the latest office updates?
Occasional Advisor
Message 17 of 17 (1,683 Views)

When I was testing the printer on another computer, I got all the latest Microsoft Windows and Office updates. It didn't fix the problem.

Note: It wasn't working on that computer before I installed latest updates either.

I would like to mention something important: I just learned that if user unplugs the network cable from the computer and then print, it works.

What can cause printing problem on server side?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.