HP Laserj 1320 - default print setting is wrong! How to change it? (365 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jasmine Liu
Message 1 of 8 (365 Views)

HP Laserj 1320 - default print setting is wrong! How to change it?

I have just bought a HP LaserJet 1320. However, there is a big issue about the "default print setting" ( File / Print / Properties). The default paper size is A4(8.27 *11.69 inch), instead of letter size. What I want is LETTER SIZE(8.5 *11 inch) to be set as default, so I don't have to reselect the paper size every time. How can I make a change to your default setting?

I called your office and seemed that it is so hard for them to solve this small problem, and it takes forever to be transferred. PLEASE HELP!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 2 of 8 (365 Views)

Re: HP Laserj 1320 - default print setting is wrong! How to change it?

Jasmine,

I don't have your specific printer, but I'm somewhat familiar with it. Your steps will probably be a little different.

Assuming it's the 1320 base model (and not something like the 1320tn), then you probably have it attached to your PC with a USB cable. You probably also have one paper tray and the PCL6 driver installed (as opposed to the PS - Postscript - driver)

You need to get to the printers folder. If you've got XP, the path to it might be a little different from this unless it's converted to the "Classic View". There are 2 ways.

Click the Start button.
Go to Settings.
Go to Printers (or Printers and Faxes on newer systems).

OR - This will work if you do have the standard XP view.
Click the Start Button.
Go to Conrol Panel.
Double click the Printers (or Printers and Faxes) icon.

Once you have that folder open, right-click on your printer. In the list that comes up, click Properties.

Again, assuming the PCL 6 driver, there are 2 places (I've never understood why 2 rather than one).

Go to the Advanced tab. Click the Printing Defaults button. Set the default paper size and tray you want there.

Then go to the General tab. Click the Printing Preferences button. Again set the same default paper size and tray.

Once you've done that, the size you set should now become the default for all print jobs. You should only need to do the File\Print\Properties adjustment for a specific print job where you want a different size paper.

Pat

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jasmine Liu
Message 3 of 8 (365 Views)

Thank you so much for your support, Pat!!!

Unfortunately I tried your method several times and even reinstall the printer, but the defalut setting is still there. DESPERATE!!! Am I the only lucky one who can not get rid of this problem? It is so troublesome if you are using letter size paper and have legal size paper default. That means I need to change the setting very very often~~~ How can HP design such a setting??????
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 4 of 8 (365 Views)

Jasmine,

At this point, I'd suggesting contact HP.
You can either do an on-line chat, email, or phone call.

Here's the starting point:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ContactHP.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSe...

Pat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jasmine Liu
Message 5 of 8 (365 Views)

Pat,

Thank you for your reply. It seems this is a hopeless case. I called HP three times regarding this issue and all three technicians could not figure it out and finished with an apology.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 6 of 8 (365 Views)

Jasmine,

You said this is a new printer. It should have come with a warranty.

2 things:

I'd suggest one more call, explain the history (especially what you said above about 3 calls), get the details on the warranty, and either ask them to replace it for you or to pay for an HP certified tech in your area to come out.

OR, find an HP certified tech shop in your area, call them and ask them if they would make a service call under warranty.

You'll probably need to have the purchase documentation on hand, like the receipt, to confirm when you bought it.

Here's the starting point for finding one in your area http://hp.infonow.net/bin/findNow?LIST_LIST_KEY=2-11492031430010005049&CLIENT_ID=HP_LOC_USA_SRV&PAGE...

We got a faulty jetdirect card on a new networked HP printer replaced that way. The HP certified tech called HP, walked through their suggested steps, and then asked for a replacement card when they couldn't find the problem. They sent it out free under warranty.

I'd also suggest printing out this thread and showing it to the tech if that's the route you decide to go.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jasmine Liu
Message 7 of 8 (365 Views)

Many many thanks, Pat.

I will do as what you suggested. You are such an expert on HP product. Hopefully this time it will work.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 8 of 8 (365 Views)

Jasmine,

Boy I sure have you fooled. I'm not an expert (but I have picked up some knowledge over the years).

I hope it all works out for you.

Pat
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation