HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401 series Printers - Printer Commands (808 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Peter_V
Message 1 of 4 (808 Views)

HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401 series Printers - Printer Commands

I am looking for PCL commands for paper source selection for HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401 series. I have contected HP support and tried to search the web to no avail. Can somebody help me pls.

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 2 of 4 (794 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401 series Printers - Printer Commands

I assume that you are referring to the # identifiers used with the PCL5 Paper Source escape sequence (<Esc>&l#H).

I don't know what identifiers are used, although I'd expect that values of 1 and 4, or perhaps 1 and 5, are probably used for the standard cassette trays.

You could use the Tray Map tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application (available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu ) to try various combinations of Paper Size, Paper Type and Paper Source identifier to try to find out what identifiers are valid.

Occasional Visitor
Peter_V
Message 3 of 4 (786 Views)

PCL5 Paper Source escape sequence is exactly what I am looking for. I have already tried 1,4,5 and 8 with no luck. But I will try the tool you sugested.

Thnak you.

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 4 of 4 (774 Views)

Bear in mind that there can be conflicts between settings for Paper Size (e.g. Letter or A4), Paper Type (e.g. Plain or Letterhead) and Paper Source (e.g. tray identifier 4).

For example:

• Suppose that a PCL5 tray identifier of 4 selects physical tray 2 (with some printers, valid identifers are much larger, such as 21, or 101, or 257).
  • Tray 2 is loaded with paper of paper size A4 (most printers auto-detect the size in each of the cassette trays).
  • The printer has been configured to set a paper type of Letterhead in tray 2 (the default type is usually Plain).

If the print job specifies tray identifier 4, but also specifies paper size Letter, or paper type Plain, there is a conflict; which setting takes precedence probably depends on the printer model, but I'd imagine that size is the most important.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.