Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver (9884 Views)
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 26 of 47 (17,457 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn: problem installing driver

>so that one does not have to think of scrolling down to look for more items on the page.

I usually think of scrolling down (using a scroll wheel) but have problems scrolling to the right, especially I don't see any words or pictures being cut off.

If you are happy with the answers, please click on the Kudos star.

Occasional Visitor
Dave Fraser
Message 27 of 47 (17,448 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver

Like the rest of you I have the same problem. Just bought it yesterday 9.14.12. Followed the instructions, got to around 88% when I received this Error Message: "A problem occurred while preparing to install software to your system. Please restart your computer, and run this installer again. If the problem persists please check the product web site for your product".

Have to click Cancel, Next is grayed out.

Asks if you want to Cancel have to click Yes, if you click No it takes you back to the previous screen.

Then tells you to disconnect the USB cable and to top it off they then thank you for using HP product.

This is real disheartening, I need to get this up and running before Monday (9.16). I tried the solution that was posted on this site, and didn't see my printer in the Device Manager. I use the CD with the same sad ending. Can anyone give me the phone number to call support in the US.

Occasional Advisor
EducereHouston
Message 28 of 47 (17,443 Views)

Telephone numbers for assistance:

1-800-474-6836

1-800-334-5144

Occasional Advisor
EducereHouston
Message 29 of 47 (17,439 Views)

I am thankful that the tech person from HP got me past this problem.  Probably other people will get their problems solved also. 

Now that I am finished with this topic, can someone tell me how to stop emails on this topic from being sent to me?

Where can I find "unsubscribe"?   

How can I go back to the screen on which I marked the box that emails to me notices of replies to this topic?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 30 of 47 (17,421 Views)

>Where can I find "unsubscribe"?

It should be on the Topic Options menu near the top right.

Occasional Visitor
Dave Fraser
Message 31 of 47 (17,434 Views)

Back again took it to my work place IT guy with my PC (50lb.printer is hard to lug around).He tried to install with no luck. He followed the suggestions that are on the site with no luck. He then tried it on the network and it installed. The problem is it doesn't print. It sees the printer but it can't print. He thinks that it could be just a bad printer. He's is also concerned as to why it won't install without having to use the network method. To me it looks like that either method doesn't work. Taking it back today to see what they say (bought it at Staples). Will keep you posted. I must say I am really disappointed with HP for having to have to jump through so many loops to get this working. If I can't get the exchange one to work, I'll be saying goodbye to HP (been with them a long time). Sorry for the negatives, but I'm really disappointed. I'll keep you posted. To all who tried to help many thanks.

Occasional Visitor
br-ca
Message 32 of 47 (17,431 Views)

I turned off the small installation on the printer, but still not being able to use the CD to do the installation. Still getting the fatal error message. Tried twice

Occasional Visitor
thnkfl
Message 33 of 47 (17,355 Views)

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for posting the fix! I tried calling HP support and the guy was a complete moron! Tried telling me it was my laptop (which is brand new). Pisses me off that it was so simple and I have tried to do this so many times!

bowzerbird wrote:

Hey Guys,

Got the solution from HP tech support.

First, called them and created a case number [800-334-5144].

All I had to do was, with the printer turned on [just power and NOT the USB <> must be disconnected], he had me open the device manager first and then from the printer menu itself, go to services and turn off the "smart install" software.

From the CD, I started the install process and watched how the device manager was working as it installed. After connecting the USB cable, it started the install process [that %%% thingy]. At one point, dialog boxes came up asking to insert the cd [which was already inserted] and it was looking for a particular file [hpcm3516.cfg]. Hit the browse button and it was already selected and hit OK. It said this after the little box in the task manager said new hardware was being installed and recognized.

After all that, the installation process went VERY fast and TaTa!!! the printer was finally installed. Hooray!

The tech was very helpful and courteous, so he gets, out of 5 stars  .   .   .   20!!!!

This should help ANYONE who has this printer and has installtion problems.Also, I didn't want "remote access" to my computer and just per his suggestions & instructions, it was easy enough to do. Most of us are computer literate enough to do this through the instructions.

YAY!!!!!!!! Hope this helps you all.

Ellen [a very happy Angry Bird!!]

;>))    ;>D

Occasional Visitor
LancerBilly
Message 34 of 47 (17,137 Views)

thnkfl wrote:

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for posting the fix! I tried calling HP support and the guy was a complete moron! Tried telling me it was my laptop (which is brand new). Pisses me off that it was so simple and I have tried to do this so many times!

bowzerbird wrote:

Hey Guys,

Got the solution from HP tech support.

First, called them and created a case number [800-334-5144]. (this is their phone number, not a case reference)

All I had to do was, with the printer turned on [just power and NOT the USB <> must be disconnected], he had me open the device manager first and then from the printer menu itself, go to services and turn off the "smart install" software.

From the CD, I started the install process and watched how the device manager was working as it installed. After connecting the USB cable, it started the install process [that %%% thingy]. At one point, dialog boxes came up asking to insert the cd [which was already inserted] and it was looking for a particular file [hpcm3516.cfg]. Hit the browse button and it was already selected and hit OK. It said this after the little box in the task manager said new hardware was being installed and recognized.

After all that, the installation process went VERY fast and TaTa!!! the printer was finally installed. Hooray!

The tech was very helpful and courteous, so he gets, out of 5 stars  .   .   .   20!!!!

This should help ANYONE who has this printer and has installtion problems.Also, I didn't want "remote access" to my computer and just per his suggestions & instructions, it was easy enough to do. Most of us are computer literate enough to do this through the instructions.

YAY!!!!!!!! Hope this helps you all.

Ellen [a very happy Angry Bird!!]

;>))    ;>D

I also spoke with Tech Support after finding this and suffering from the 99% problem.  What I ended up doing was manually updating the driver from the downloaded drivers with the tech support rep.  What I really signed in here to do was to clarify the "Smart Install" suggestion.  This is a setting in the actual printer's LCD screen menus.  Click the OK to get to the menus, go to the right to Setup Menu Service, hit OK.  Go to the right until you see HP Service Smart Install, hit OK and you have arrow options to toggle yes/no.  I asked the technicician about this setting while we were doing other stuff since it was mentioned in the forum and she said that they recommend that setting to be set to "no".

Quickly, the steps we took.  Right click on My Computer, click Manage.  Click on Device Manager (left side under System Tools, may have to open the (+) to get to it.  See if the printer is under Imaging Devices, if it is great, if not, go to Universal Serial Bus controllers and open the (+) and choose the HP sounding one.  Mine said "HP Printer (LEDM)".

Right click on that and update the driver.  She had me choose no, not this time regarding searching online then browsing to a folder with the downloaded drivers.    That didn't work, but we came back and had it choose to search automatically and that ended up working.  Again, these setting may not apply to you and may be different or may have been found because I downloaded the PCL 5 drivers separately and that's what it had found. 

Either way, good luck.  I got a good tech person when I called so it's a good chance you will too.  If not, try calling back for someone else.

-Billy

Occasional Visitor
ChuckV724
Message 35 of 47 (16,769 Views)

I've tried all these things and I still get the failure to install.

I am using a slightly different laserjet (200 MFP M276nw), but had all the same steps as you have had. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am on an Windows 7, 64 bit laptop. I have installed this printer on my desktop and I can print wirelessly with my iPad. Let me know what I am doing wrong....HP Phone tech support was horrible and it's going on 2 plus hours over the phone with no response coming soon. Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
monicabrady
Message 36 of 47 (16,270 Views)

THANK YOU!!!   Disabling the HP Service Smart Install did the trick installed within 10 minutes.

Occasional Visitor
surgeondavid
Message 37 of 47 (15,157 Views)

Re: HP Laser Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver

The laserjetpro 400 can be installed to a windows 7 computer with a usb cable or a network connection.  There is a fault with the usb cable installation due to an error in the program which makes the installation hang at the end.  The software first achieves a connection and then installs the printer.  But on a usb connection the program still indicates that it is making a connection when it is actually installing the software.  The program then hangs when it has almost completed the installation.  Suspending the automatic installation from the printer's memory doesn't work for me although others say this can help.  Hp technicians suggested changing the cable (this makes no difference) and removing other programs (this also fails).  I have wasted much time as have others.  This website documents this as a recurring problem over months/years.  Why have hp not sorted out this error in their software or at the least informed their support team.  If installed with a network connection it may then be possible to reconnect with a usb cable - I am not sure as I haven't tried this yet. 

I bought this printer after a good experience with the cm1415fnw, but I would not recommend another hp product until hp have sorted out their software.  I had similar problems in the past with vista drivers from hp.  As a surgeon I don't have time to waste sorting out printer drivers.

Occasional Visitor
CraziAsian
Message 38 of 47 (14,925 Views)

Re: HP Laser Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver

Hey, so I'm actually a store technician and I've been working on something with similar issues today. Quick list of steps to take to make sure your computer is ready for the actual installer package:

1) Make sure you have all the current framework packages installed. This is extremely important, especially if you are running a Windows XP system.

2) Uninstall all generic drivers you may have installed for the printer thus far.

3) Disable any firewall, anti-virus, and/or end-point protection software. This is especially important if you are running business grade versions of these softwares. Honestly, just disable everything in the background. No need for it if you're this dedicated to making this printer work. To do this, go to Start->Run->type "msconfig". Click to the "Services" tab, select the "Hide Microsoft services", choose "Disable all". Switch to the "Startup" tab, and disable all again. Reenable anything HP related. Apply these setting changes, and restart the computer.

Now, just retry the installation. Once the printer is installed, go back to msconfig, and on the general tab, and select the first little bubble for "Normal Startup". Restart, and voila. Functional printer, computer back to (nearly at the least) the same settings, everyone happy.

Hope this helps someone out there as I made an account for this site just to share.

Occasional Visitor
Feed_Store
Message 39 of 47 (12,917 Views)

Thanks.  This did the trick!  I spent over 4 hours on chat with tech support.  I was inches from returning the printer and never buying HP again.  The online tech support is horrible, and the agent had me believing it was an issue that was only with my computer.  I turned off smart install and it did the trick.  I hope HP is listening and works on some training of the online support people!

Occasional Visitor
egkok
Message 40 of 47 (12,717 Views)

Hewlett Packard is pleased to provide the following documentation via email.

Please do not reply to this message, as the HP Customer Care Center cannot be reached via this mailbox. Should further technical support be needed, please call the Customer Care Center directly.

Thank-you for contacting HP,
Your Customer Care Representative.

HP LaserJet Pro 300/400/500 Multifunction Series - "fatal error" at 99% While Installing Printer Software for device connect via USB Cable Issue

When trying to install the product software for a device connected via a USB cable on Windows 7 (32-bit/62-bit), Vista, or XP OS’s, the installation hangs at 99% and pops up with fatal error as seen in Figures #1 and #2 below.

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

Details

“Fatal Error” at 99% of the install for LaserJet products may be seen on printers connected via USB during the printer software install from either the product CD, hp.com download, or Smart Install attempt. In most instances this error will be seen if a UPD print driver has already been installed on the PC.

Cause

The cause of this product software installer issue is the UPD driver having a newer timestamp/datecode than the discrete driver on the product CD. This will cause the Operating System to choose the UPD driver as the best match for the USB connected product during the Plug and Play process.

Solution

Preferred: Choose a network or wireless network connection type if possible. This error will not be seen on network or wireless connected printers.

There are two additional workarounds/fixes for this issue. Depending on the OS and version of UPD installed, one of the below solutions may not be available. At this time, the only way to find out is to try the first solution, if it does not work, move on to the second solution.

Solution #1

If the customer is unwilling or unable to connect to a network there is another way to force the installation to work. Follow the below steps:

1. CANCEL out of the failed installation attempt.
  2. Open the DEVICE MANAGER in the CONTROL PANEL. (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager)
  3. Click VIEW then select Show Hidden Devices.
  4. Important: Keep the Device Manager window open. It will be used later during the software installation.
  5. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer if hasn’t been already.
  6. Now run the installer again from the product CD or from the HP download software solution.
  7. Re-connect the USB cable when prompted.

As the installer loads the necessary files, bring up the Device Manger window. Follow the instructions above each of the below figures.

Figure 3: Wait for the PRINTERS folder to show up. When “HP Universal Printing PCL6” appears, right click it and select UPDATE DRIVER.

Figure 4: Select “No, not this time” and click NEXT.

Figure 5: Select “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click NEXT.

Figure 6: Select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.” Click NEXT.

Figure 7: Do NOT select the “HP Universal Printing PCL 6” driver. Select the discrete driver as shown below. Click NEXT.

Figure 8: Click FINISH.

Solution #2: this is only necessary if Solution #1 did not work.

1. CANCEL out of the failed installation attempt.
  2. Open the DEVICE MANAGER in the CONTROL PANEL. (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager)
  3. Click VIEW then select Show Hidden Devices.
  4. Important: Keep the Device Manager window open. It will be used later during the software installation.
  5. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer if hasn’t been already.
  6. Now run the installer again from the product CD or from the HP download software solution.
  7. Re-connect the USB cable when prompted.

As the installer loads the necessary files, bring up the Device Manger window. Follow the instructions above each of the below figures.

Figure 9: For M375/M475 - Expand the list under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click on “HP PNP EWS NULL” and select UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE. For M351/M451 – Expand the list under Imaging Devices (not shown below). Right click on “HP PNP SCAN NULL” and select UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE.

Figure 10: Select BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE.

Figure 11: Select LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER. Then select USB PRINTING SUPPORT. NOTE: if USB PRINTING SUPPORT is not seen, as shown below, select HAVE DISK and browse for the “autorun.inf” located in the root of the extracted full software solution you are attempting to install.

Figure 12: Click NEXT then FINISH. This should allow the HP Software to successfully complete its’ installation as seen below.

Please note that all documentation provided in this e-mail is copyrighted material of HP. It is provided solely to complement our service efforts and provide further information for your reference. The documentation is provided "as is" without any warranties or representations of any kind. In particular, HP does not warrant that the materials are accurate, complete and up-to-date, and HP specifically disclaims all other warranties and conditions, in fact or in law, express or implied, including the warranties and conditions of merchantable quality, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property of others.

Occasional Visitor
nickjdunn
Message 41 of 47 (12,023 Views)

As soon as i turned off HP Smart Install On the printer the computer recognized it and installed the printer in only a few seconds!!!! YAY!!!

Occasional Visitor
tuoiagon
Message 42 of 47 (11,322 Views)

try to download and installing driver

Occasional Visitor
MegHan320630
Message 43 of 47 (9,884 Views)

Worked on this for 2 hours before I found this forum and started trying the steps in the comments.  I tried Ellen's steps and they did not work, I still received the fatal error.  I tried installing drivers on my own from HP's site and just adding the printer via Windows, and got errors from that too.  Just plugging in the printer via USB did not start the wizard automatically as it should. Finally I saw Billy's steps and tried them.  

Device Manager > go to Universal Serial Bus controllers and open the (+) and choose the HP sounding one.  Mine also said "HP Printer (LEDM)" > Right-click > Update driver >  I chose search automatically for the drivers and clicked Next through the wizard and was able to successfully install the printer.  Thanks so much for this fix!!

Occasional Visitor
CompConn
Message 44 of 47 (8,808 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn: problem installing driver

I too am having the same issue, I followed #12, same error.  I am on a Win 7 Pro system and ran the install as administrator - No Luck.  I called HP support and spoke to the over the pond support who stated they can fix this for me for $149, NOT!

Still working on this

Occasional Visitor
Gnaglor
Message 45 of 47 (8,209 Views)

This worked.  Once I turned off Smart Install from the printers LCD screen, not from the PC I tried installing on, everything worked for me.  Thanks for the clarification.  That first person did a really poor job of relating the information they received.

Occasional Advisor
GAZimmermann
Message 46 of 47 (6,707 Views)

Just found your posting, and would like to szue it, because I have an installation problem 99% - I cannot find the "smart install"

I know where device manager is and I see the printer but there is no "service" (right or left klick does not show this)can you please be more specific? Would be greatly appreciated.

Occasional Visitor
jchamilt
Message 47 of 47 (3,992 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dw : an Install operation took to long to execute (temp solution)

I had the same problem that was noted on the web site.  I was installing a HP 400 Color M451dn and the install was 99% complete and then it went no further and after a few minutes I got the error message that the install operation took too long to execute.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.