Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver (67773 Views)
Visitor
walterke_2300
Message 1 of 47 (69,502 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver

I recently bought a HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn printer.
I do not succeed in installing the drivers for this printer. I tried it,

as described in the manual, with connecting the USB cable and

afterwards also with use of the installation CD.

The HP Smart Install program starts normally and after selecting

the tools that I want installed, the process continues (at least I think so).

When the counter reaches 99 % installed it stays there for about 2

minutes and then an error message is shown mentioning that the

installation takes too long and that's this is a fatal error.
I'm installing the drivers on a PC with Windows 7 64-bit and the

user has administrator rights.

Does someone know how I can solve this problem ?

Kind regards

Walter

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Elff
Message 2 of 47 (69,364 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn : problem installing driver

If the HP Smart Install program fails, disconnect the USB cable, turn the product off and
then on again, and then insert the product CD into your computer. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Connect the cable only when the software prompts you.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
walterke_2300
Message 3 of 47 (69,360 Views)

I did some more testing yesterday evening.

The installation on my PC (Windows 7 64-bit) still fails, but the installation on my laptop (Windows Vista

32 bit) succeeded and within 10 minutes after starting the installation a test page was printed successfully.

I also noticed that with the installation on my PC the last action that is pointed at (at the left side of the

screen) is 'connect the device'. It never reaches the action 'Installing'.

I also tried different USB ports on my computer, with still the same error as result. When I connect my

old printer on the same USB port there is no problem.

I am afraid I will have to start form a fresh copy of my OS en then try to install my printer before I install

any other software.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
walterke_2300
Message 4 of 47 (69,337 Views)

The problem is solved by restoring an older backup.

It seems that this problem was caused by conflicting software on my PC.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
pvysc
Message 5 of 47 (69,285 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am trying to install a LaserJet Pro M451DN and am having the same problems as you describe.  It's an HP desktop computer running XP pro SP3.  It does not work from the Smart Install or the Install cd.  The IT guy was here for an hour and he couldn't get it to get past the 99% either. We swapped USB cords, rebooted multiple times and tried multiple installs.

What kind of software conflict were you having?  It sounds like I might be having one because a couple of times the OS disappeared during the install and re-appeard after it errored out and exited (taskbar and desktop came back).

I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

UPDATE: I did finally manager to install the printer. I ran the disk uninstall, the printer diagnostic utility, and then the installer again. This time it didn't hang. I never got the Smart Install to run. I turned the printer off and used the install disk. For whatever reason it worked this time.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
duemelands
Message 6 of 47 (69,265 Views)

i had he same problem, am gong to try using an old verson of vista even though I have widows 7 64 bit. Extra memory was defective as well.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
duemelands
Message 7 of 47 (69,264 Views)

hp Printer:  M451dw could not install drivers. May i suggest using Vista.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
duemelands
Message 8 of 47 (69,254 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dw : an Install operation took to long to execute (temp solution)

HP Laseer Jet Pro 400 color M451DW Error: Install operation took too long to execute

Configeration when Error Received 

A.  Windows 7 Operating system 64 Bit

B.  USB connection cable

C.  Local Port LPN1

D:  HP basic Driver, (not full solution dirver)

E. USB cable Not Connected when installed initially per instruction from HP.

F:  Later told by HP to attach USB

G:  install went to 99% and received White X in Red Circle

H: Received Error Message " An install operation took to long to execute" "this is a fatal error preventing product use.

ATTEMPTS TO WORK ARROUND:  (did not work)

Tried using Vista operation system choice, (did not work)

Device manager did not show printer.

HP Printer diagnostics 1.1 did not function since no printer was  avaiable

attempted to Add a printer, entering manually Laser Jet 400

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: 

1. Remove USB cable (no fix avalable for USB cable)

2. Attach EtherNet cable to printer, (not using USB cable)(you need an extra Ethernet cable connection)

3. Unzip HP Universal Driver

4: Runs installer

5: Finish installation ( printer is Installed)

6: Finish instation (appears twice) hit finish. Universal printer driver is installed

For further questions, go to SECOND Level HP Printer support 800-334-5144.

A solution is being worked on by HP.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
carehand
Message 9 of 47 (68,884 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dw : an Install operation took to long to execute (temp solution)

I tried your suggestion and got the same error message only quicker this time. Does anyone else have a workaround that might help?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rodimax
Message 10 of 47 (68,349 Views)

Good morning,

Is the problem resolved ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bowzerbird
Message 11 of 47 (67,315 Views)

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. OS: Windows XP pro sp3 32 bit.

Followed all the instructions per the manual that came with it. First off, the Smart Install never came up. So, clicked the autorun.exe from the Explorer [from disk]. And at 99% <> failure!!

Rebooted a few times [restart & cold] and downloaded latest drivers and tried again <> failure at 99%.

Oh, there's a new firmware version but afraid to install it. Would it help??

Then tried the suggestion to install New printer from control panel [printer on w/usb connected]. It installed basic info [not drivers]. Also tried the connecting it in different usb connections.

I'm not going to format the hard drive just to install this printer. All my other printers work fine.

Bottom line, I tried all the suggestions from this forum thread.

Are there any other suggestions I could try?

Ellen :>((

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bowzerbird
Message 12 of 47 (67,773 Views)

Hey Guys,

Got the solution from HP tech support.

First, called them and created a case number [800-334-5144].

All I had to do was, with the printer turned on [just power and NOT the USB <> must be disconnected], he had me open the device manager first and then from the printer menu itself, go to services and turn off the "smart install" software.

From the CD, I started the install process and watched how the device manager was working as it installed. After connecting the USB cable, it started the install process [that %%% thingy]. At one point, dialog boxes came up asking to insert the cd [which was already inserted] and it was looking for a particular file [hpcm3516.cfg]. Hit the browse button and it was already selected and hit OK. It said this after the little box in the task manager said new hardware was being installed and recognized.

After all that, the installation process went VERY fast and TaTa!!! the printer was finally installed. Hooray!

The tech was very helpful and courteous, so he gets, out of 5 stars  .   .   .   20!!!!

This should help ANYONE who has this printer and has installtion problems.Also, I didn't want "remote access" to my computer and just per his suggestions & instructions, it was easy enough to do. Most of us are computer literate enough to do this through the instructions.

YAY!!!!!!!! Hope this helps you all.

Ellen [a very happy Angry Bird!!]

;>))    ;>D

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fly_on_the_wall
Message 13 of 47 (67,052 Views)

Many thanks for this solution. Worked like a charm...

5 point for you...:D

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bowzerbird
Message 14 of 47 (67,013 Views)

Hey, great that the solution worked for you. From this tread, you can see ALL the folks had the EXACT!!! same problem. Their solutions were kinda involved and I just didn't want to go tp the extent some of them went to. Even formating the HD!!

For me, calling HP and having the tech work me through it was great!! So, here I passed the solution on for others having this installation problem. Forums are always SOOOO helpful. I always find answers on the Net.

Hope those who just bought this printer follow those simple instructions <> and the installation will go fast & smooth.

BTW, it's a great printer, love the auto dbl. printing. I just hope it lasts longer than the one I replaced [2600n] which only lasted 5 years.

Have an HP 4MP [1994] and use it for emails, text & webpages etc.. Still works great. Have a large format Epson too. Interestingly, I can get toners on the Net for approx. $34, even for the 4MP, still available!!

Glad I helped and hope those who buy this printer will see this thread and find this post to help with a fast complete installation.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jag3223
Message 15 of 47 (66,257 Views)

I'm trying to install this printer as well on a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP SP3 - did you ever get it installed correctly?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bowzerbird
Message 16 of 47 (65,943 Views)

[ Edited ]

YES!!! Go to message #12. The solution is there. Basically, turning off the installation software in [from] the printer. But read the post. I actaully had HP work me through it on the phone!

Great printer BTW, so far. Only had it a few weeks.

Ellen

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jazure
Message 17 of 47 (64,364 Views)

I don't follow message#12.

---> watched how the device manager was working as it installed.

I have device manager open but what to watch??

--> After connecting the USB cable, it started the install process [that %%% thingy]. At one point, dialog boxes came up asking to insert the cd [which was already inserted] and it was looking for a particular file [hpcm3516.cfg]. Hit the browse button and it was already selected and hit OK. 

There is no dialog prompted.  Am I supposed to do something with the Device Manager?

I have went through the installation 5 times and all failed.  I have wasted 4 hours and cannot get it installed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jazure
Message 18 of 47 (64,362 Views)

Ok. At my 6th try, I got the driver from 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

I was able to select wireless connection instead of USB.  It somehow got me through then eventually.  Printed first document after 5 hours of struggle.  It is 3am and can finally go to bed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bowzerbird
Message 19 of 47 (63,831 Views)

Sorry you had all that trouble. What I did was call HP and the tech worked me through it. I had to go into the printer itself however [from his instructions] and turn off the "smart install" from the printer menu. That's what created the install conflict to begin with. From the CD, the software for the printer drivers was then installed on my computer. Watching the device manager wasn't really important. Also, I have XP Pro SP3.

Calling HP would have saved you all that trouble. They were VERY helpful & courteous to me.

Ellen

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
andyglaess
Message 20 of 47 (62,601 Views)

I have three of these units to install, and would definitely send them back for a different model, if it wasn't for the fact that other HP models have  similar driver issues with Windows 7.

HP's drivers have been junk for 5 years or so now and this needs to stop. Even if the Color Laserjet 400 drivers did work, the install time is ridiculous! It rivals Windows itself for an install time....

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EducereHouston
Message 21 of 47 (62,130 Views)

Using this forum is a real pain. I took the effort to register. Finding a way to make the cursor appear in this grey area where I am typing took a long time.

Next comment: Did anyone receive any kind of a manual in the box with the HP LaserJet Pro 400 color M451nw ?

Does anyone automatically understand the meaning and use of the buttons below the display window of this printer?

Does anyone know why HP uses such a complicated naming system for this printer?

I tried following the directions in Message 12. I printed message 12 to paper, so I would not lose it.  I am sorry. I just need more details in youi wording. When you wrote "printer menu", I  looked in my computer for start/control panel/printer and faxes. . .   for the "printer menu", because the printers have menus there.

I also have spent hours on this.

I am going to look in Hewlett Packard's website, to see if they have a manual for this printer. Probably not. Then I am going to call the HP technical help people, whose telephone number is on a LITTLE piece of paper in the computer's dellivery box.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 22 of 47 (62,115 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn: problem installing driver

>to see if they have a manual for this printer.

Have you looked here?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EducereHouston
Message 23 of 47 (62,070 Views)

Dennis,

Thank you for writing.

I did find the manual that you pointed out to me. It is a copy of the "manual" that was sent with the printer. HP's "manual" explains unpacking of the printer and the usual methods of installing the printer in a computer. (I am am sure the methods work for the majority of people.) However, the manual does not explain the buttons on the printer, or the messages that show up in the two-line LCD message window.

I do have sympathy for HP's need to give instructions  in numerous languages, but I think HP should give reference information at least in English, the language of HP's home country.

I will now telephone the numbers that HP gives for technical help:

1-800-474-6836   and   1-800-334-5144

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 24 of 47 (62,059 Views)

>I did find the manual that you pointed out to me.

I pointed to a whole page of manuals.  Did you look at the 200+ page User's Guide?

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02663889/c02663889.pdf

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
EducereHouston
Message 25 of 47 (62,055 Views)

I did not see the 200+ page "user guide" on the page until you pointed it out to me just now. Thank you.

I might not have missed finding the "user guide" if the items on the webpage had been closer together, so that one does not have to think of scrolling down to look for more items on the page.

I have downloaded the "user guide", will put it onto several computers in this office so that I can look at it later.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation