HP LaserJet 5P Model C3150A Prints Garbage (323 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Frankie Adamo
Message 1 of 11 (323 Views)

HP LaserJet 5P Model C3150A Prints Garbage

Hi,

I printed an Adobe tax document (form 1120), and, on the third page, the printer began to have trouble. Since this printing, the printer has printed only garbage. I had it networked using a printer hub. I printed directly using a parallel LPT1 port. I used three different computers. I tried printing from DOS, from Windows 2000, and from Notepad. Nothing worked. The only thing that does not print garbled is the printer test page that is initiated by pressing the GO button on the printer.

Additionally, I tried the pressing the reset button - no change, still garbled when sent by a computer. I do not believe it is the driver. I feel that the problem is the printer. Something that was sent to it must have changed it somehow.

How can I reset it back to factory default? Why did this document alter its programming? How do I fix it? Finally, I am seeing the letters PJL on the print-outs. I believe this may be significant.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
John  Connelly
Message 2 of 11 (323 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 5P Model C3150A Prints Garbage

Hi,
PDF's documents print best using Postscript drivers rather then PCL5/PCL6 drivers.

The garbage being printed is because the printer does not understand the font or graphic being sent hence why the Postcript driver will resolve.

Strongly recommend you try this before cold resetting :-)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frankie Adamo
Message 3 of 11 (323 Views)

Hello,

The problem seems to be the formatter. See: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser. Look for agent86 user id or model C3150A.

I am buying a formatter soon. After it's installed, I shall post another message on result.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
John  Connelly
Message 4 of 11 (323 Views)

Did you try a PostScript driver first? - honestly I very rarely have to replace a formatter!
Trying to help you save cash and time :-)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frankie Adamo
Message 5 of 11 (323 Views)

Yes, I did try the Postscript driver - I installed the driver for HP LaserJet 5P/5MP. It didn't work.

Did you read the postings at fixyourownprinter.com?

Can you explain why three different computers using three different operating systems all generated the same result? I tend to think that it isn't a driver problem. The printer failed during a print-out of an Adobe document. Adobe documents use Postscript, but all documentation on the HP indicates that the 5P can handle it.

Finally, the 5MP driver is actually for Mac computers (or so I've read), which means the 5P driver should be adequate for my Windows-based PC.

I would love another resolution. In fact, I have been searching for a non-formatter answer, but I haven't found one, yet.

Incidentally, I tried to use the Remote Control Panel (RCP) - it's an HP-supplied utility. The RCP could not maintain a connection with the printer through the LPT1 port. I was hoping that I could reset the symbol set.

If you have any other ideas, please post them.

Thanks,
Frankie Adamo
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
John  Connelly
Message 6 of 11 (323 Views)

The HP LaserJet 5MP printer:
Adobe PostScript Level 2 with Adobe Memory Booster technology (MBT)
Software includes Adobe PostScript printing software for Macintosh and HP LaserJet 5MP Adobe PostScript Printing System for Windows (with Adobe PostScript printer drivers, Status Window, HP FontSmart font manager, and online help).
Printers can switch automatically between HP PCL and Adobe PostScript languages if the Adobe PostScript SIMM is installed.

Have you got the Adobe Postscript SIMM installed?

Information from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl02556

Hope this helps
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frankie Adamo
Message 7 of 11 (323 Views)

No, I do not believe the SIMM you mentioned is installed. I did not install it.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
John  Connelly
Message 8 of 11 (323 Views)

Drivers won't work if SIMM is not fitted :)looks like root cause to your issue!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frankie Adamo
Message 9 of 11 (323 Views)

I don't understand - the drivers have worked since 1994 (14 years). Why the sudden change? Why can't the printer handle a non-postscript job such as one from Notepad? This printer cannot print anything from any computer using any drivers installed on any operating system, except it does print the demo and configuation pages, which is explainable because the formatter is not involved with the demo and configuration printing.

How can I completely uninstall the drivers and reinstall them? I've deleted the printer several times and reinstalled it several times on all three machines running three different operating systems. I've tried to print using the DOS command in native DOS (not a DOS window): dir >> lpt1. The printer couldn't handle it. Is there anything else that I can do to conclusively rule out the drivers?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
John  Connelly
Message 10 of 11 (323 Views)

Sometimes you'll get better results if you use PostScript rather than another printer languageâ particularly when using PostScript printers, fonts, and graphics.

With PostScript you can often match font styles with other users in the organization
PostScript is best if the work requires the rendering of graphics in a way only PostScript can provide
PostScript can sometimes ensure compatibility with a particular application or environment (common in certain UNIX systems)
For some complex graphics jobs designed for offset presses (such as those for magazines or newspapers), PostScript may be faster and may provide better print quality.

PostScript may print better
The PS driver generally prints graphics better, especially from Adobe applications. However, be aware that some users see a difference with a particular printed file, while others don't. You can resolve many of these differences through driver or application settings, but sometimes it comes down to the user's preference.

PostScript has typefaces unavailable in PCL
Some PostScript fonts are unavailable to PCL. To overcome this, use a third-party program to convert PostScript fonts into a PCL-compatible formatâ Adobe Type Manager or Bitstream Facelift, for example.

The reason how it can print with less errors and less process idle times

PostScript (abbreviated by the letters PS) is a page description language developed by Adobe, Inc. PostScript translates computer language into printer language. It converts everything in a document, including graphics, into code, which the driver then interprets, reassembles, and sends to the printer.

Using PostScript
You'll get the highest graphic resolution and most error-free PostScript print jobs when you use PS fonts (Type 1) and PS graphics (EPS or Adobe Illustrator files) and then print the page on a PostScript printer.

Hence why recommended Postscript driver

Also noted that you have connected the USB via a hub maybe connection issue have you tryed connecting the printer via USB directly to the device?
If the direct connection works check the hub configuration to ensure that it meets configuration requirements!

Any Points?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 11 of 11 (255 Views)

Man here is a thread which is getting out of hand. The tip off is you can not print from a dos prompt. If that is the case drivers have nothing to do with your issue. Yours is a hardware issue plain and simple and could be the port on the computer, the cable going to the printer or the port/formatter on the printer. Now when you try and print from the dos prompt as you have done what happens? Do you get a message like failure to print to lpt1 or does it just go down to the next line like it accepted the job and then what happens at the printer. Do you see one of the lights on top blinking to indicate reception of data? My gut feeling is that the printer's formatter went bad when it was printing the 3rd page of that doucment and that is why everything you try to send from a computer is now garbage. Keep in mind the test page that you do from the printer is stored in a chip and does not have to be processed by the formatter before it prints. Since this printer is so old it may not be worth repairing, but then again I am sure you can obtain a parts unit on ebay for next to nothing and most times those printers have other issues rather than the formatter.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation