Re: HP LaserJet 4100TN PCL XL error (321 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Consularis
Message 1 of 6 (370 Views)

HP LaserJet 4100TN PCL XL error

Have had this workhorse for number of years and until a few days ago was operating really well. Then some paper jams, but other than inconvenient, still OK.  But now attempted to print simple 2 page document (previously printed with no problems) and the following message prints out instead:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: IMAGE

Error:  Error Code 0x15

Operator:  Text

Position:  2176

What to do??

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 2 of 6 (350 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 4100TN PCL XL error

You may be able to get some additional diagnostic information by:

• Repeating the print job, but selecting the 'print to file' option in the Print dialogue.
  • Then analysing the resultant .prn file using the PRN File Analyse tool in the PCL Paraphernalia application (available via http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu ).
  • In the analysis, look for the details preceding the 2176'th Operator (make sure that the PCL XL options request that operator positions are shown).

I've never come across Error Code 0x15 in this context, so I'm not at all sure that the analysis will give us much more information, but we won't know until we try it.

HP Pro
printer_guy
Message 3 of 6 (345 Views)

Hello Consularis, I am an HP Support Engineer. I am speaking for myself and not for HP but I believe that I can assist you.

In a previous post Chris had some excellent suggestions.  Whenever I encounter a PCL XL error I try to narrow the issue to a specific application and/or document for which you already have.  I would recommend copying the contents of the document which causes the PCL XL error and pasting them into a new document and attempt printing.

Obviously you are using the PCL 6 driver, what version of the driver are you using and what is your Operating System?

Regards,
printer_guy

I am an HP Employee - however, my comments and views expressed are my own.
Valued Contributor
Imagenet_Tech
Message 4 of 6 (335 Views)

Hello, I would switch the driver to PCL 5, it is more stable and a lot less glitchy than the PCL 6 driver.

Hope this helps....

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 6 (329 Views)

Imagenet_Tech is 100% correct. PCL XL errors only occur with pcl6. Another option a bit slower would be the postscript driver.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 6 of 6 (321 Views)

Imagenet_Tech and DavidZuts are quite correct in stating that you will only get PCL XL errors with a PCL6 print stream.

If such errors are repeatable (i.e. exactly the same when reprinting the same document, using the same driver, to the same device), then it is likely that they are caused by a driver (or driver settings) fault.

If the errors are random, they are much more likely to be the result of intermittent corruptions of the generated print stream between the workstation and the device (check cables, ports, switches, etc.).

PCL6 has a reputation for being a bit glitchy because of these errors; they are reported because the language is highly structured, and any departure from this structure is relatively easy for the language interpreter in the printer to detect.

However, you may still get errors reported with PCL5 (e.g. 'page too complex') or PostScript (e.g. 'stack error'), or (especially with PCL5) you may get no reported errors, but the print output may not be as expected (some time ago, there was a problem whereby underscores were routinely missing), since the PCL5 interpreter will just soldier on the best it can (ignoring any corrupt escape sequences).

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.